• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mystery Of The Henley: What Is Its Appeal??

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Don_Henley.jpg
Its appeal? Come on man, Boys Of Summer?

khoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Awww. That post makes me sad. Sauce is like an ancient relic these days, isn't he?

frown.gif

frown.gif
where did he gooooooooooooo

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He sauntered off into the sunset with one hand in his pocket

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Awww. That post makes me sad. Sauce is like an ancient relic these days, isn't he?
frown.gif

Good riddance. Thought the guy was a prick with his, "Hey, look at me! I'm always wearing sunglasses to hide the teary eyes of a shamed man who posts action photos for the benefit of annonymous men online," WAYWN photos. Although it was nice catching up with him and a few fingers of bourbon in LA last month. And a henley thread without Fok? FOK, WTF?

skunkworks

Reaction score
I liked his WAYWTs.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Don't try. It's a very casual item of clothing.

Originally Posted by dusty
Henleys are undergarments. Wear a shirt over it.

+1

It's either for an extra layer of warmth when you layer or just to wear very casually. It would be trying to dress up a crew neck sweatshirt, it could be done... but it would look better casually.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
henleys are like v-necks, they are worn best under layers unless its summer and you're wearing plimsols and skinnies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like henleys, both those with a deep placket and those with a shallow placket. They are a good layering piece, provide a lot more opportunity for subtle visual and textural interest than does a plain tee, and a thermal or heavier version substitutes for a light sweater, and can be worn for 3 seasons. The materials of the placket and buttons, distinguish interesting henleys made to wear. A few of my favorite from this past FW was a ribbed henley from the John Varvatos mainline (size down guys, they run big) with cloth covered buttons, Loomstates rice weave version with a tonal satin placket and enameled metal buttons (again size down), and (well, this is actually from FW07, but whatever) Wings+Horns version, with a square thermal material through the body, a large wafffle material through the sleeves, and a comfort fit S-shoulder. You can layer them on top (that's what I usually do, or below). Really a pretty versatile piece piece.

The masculine lineage of henleys can't really be beat either. They have Americana roots, military roots, the list goes on. Yes, they were originally worn as undershirts, but then, so were tees. And jeans were worn strictly by mine workers for mine working. And brogues were made for country wear only. It doesn't matter anymore. If you want functional clothing in the 21st century, you could buy your entire wardrobe at REI.

I do agree that it's pretty futile to try to dress them up though. It's like the tee shirt with a suit or the blazer with jeans thing. Taking something out of its element is using a dumb idea.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
henleys are like v-necks, they are worn best under layers unless its summer and you're wearing plimsols and skinnies.
+1 I think there's merit to what LA Guy is saying: henleys can allow for more complex and interesting layered looks than a simple tee would afford. And that's probably exactly why I don't own any henleys -- I find them rather difficult to combine attractively with other items in my wardrobe. They are a finicky article of clothing, fitwise. Once I'm a more "advanced" dresser, perhaps I'll add some henleys to my collection
wink.gif
Ken, that fit is fantastic.

unrated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The masculine lineage of henleys can't really be beat either. They have Americana roots, military roots, the list goes on.

I agree with this big time. I feel a little more masculine when wearing a henley than I do when wearing a v-neck with a collared shirt (a more preppy/dressy feel). I honestly feel like I get more looks from women when I'm wearing boots, jeans and a henley.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads