The must have loafer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ROT, Oct 19, 2004.

1. ROT

ROT Senior member

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I work in a very casual environment (which kills me.) I'd like a new pair of loafers and am considering the Alden tassle and the classic horse-bit (although not Gucci -- price...) any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

If my short-term memory serves me correctly, I just wrote that horse-bit loafers are terrifically naff, unless a) they are old Gucci (and worn a trifle ironically) or b) you are a member of the international jet set and physiologically beyond irony (which is why they listen to Simply Red).

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

4. gregory

gregory Senior member

Someone I know was seen wearing a navy blue suit, shirt and tie, plus a pair of Gucci loafers. Sockless. He is not part of the international jet set. His family however owned a mutual fund and they live in Greenwich, CT.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

concept of the week, for me. love it.

/andrew

6. ROT

ROT Senior member

Hmmm, good thoughts. I've never been able to sign on to the idea of the black penny loafer. Don't know why, have always bought them in oxblood. Would like something a bit more formal. I will sometimes wear a suit without a tie, or sportcoat, trousers and polo collar sweaters.

My sense of irony is firmly intact. I wore a Tyrolean hat and sported a pipe, skinny tie, black horm-rims and cardigan today to celebrate my first day back at work after the birth of my daughter. So, I'm not terribly concerned with what the office thinks of me.

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

(ROT @ 19 Oct. 2004, 12:21) Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I work in a very casual environment (which kills me.) I'd like a new pair of loafers and am considering the Alden tassle and the classic horse-bit (although not Gucci -- price...) any suggestions? Thanks.
    If my short-term memory serves me correctly, I just wrote that horse-bit loafers are terrifically naff, unless a) they are old Gucci (and worn a trifle ironically) or b) you are a member of the international jet set and physiologically beyond irony (which is why they listen to Simply Red).
    Hilarious.

8. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    i have an old pair of gucci loafers but penny loafer-ish, not horse bit. not the greatest shoes -- as though gucci wasn't that serious in trying to make a comfortable shoe.

i have a pair of alden tasseled loafers in brown suede = the first and last word in casual elegance.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

For me, the best loafer you can buy is the iconic J.M Weston ref. 180, the "reference". Close second would be the Lobb Lopez.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

If you are on this website you should have self esteem and accordingly you should dress for yourself and not worry what other people think. As the alden man the tassel loafer is acceptable.

12. drljva

drljva Senior member

Speaking of loafers, saw these amazing-looking loafers on the Sierra TP site. The description says they're from "Italy"; any idea who made them? Thanks, JV [​IMG]

13. TCN

TCN Senior member

Ooooo nice loafer that Weston, especially in the deep tan that I once heard a shoe obsessed person describe as the "French take on British tan". [​IMG] The only thing about the 180s is that they make my foot look very small (and I'm a US size 12) . . . I know, that's supposed to be a good thing, but I think it makes me look off-balanced.

14. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

I'm very happy with the Grensons I picked up at Bennies...Can't beat $150

15. ROT

ROT Senior member

Thank you all. I'm a big fan of suede shoes. The Weston is great looking. Trying to find a photo of the Lobb Lopez now.

While I'm on the suede thing, what's a fellow to do when it rains? Do the silicone sprays/Scotchguards actually work? I've been too nervous to try them on a pair of decent shoes. I've got a pair of Bally chocolate suede monk straps and a pair of tobacco wing-tipped Church's that I would love to protect. Or are they relegated to "fair-weather friend" status?