• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MTM/ Bespoke experience: Can someone describe in detail?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone put into points the experience of an MTM or Bespoke suiting? I need to write a short paper and so far my expertise has only been limited to OTRs and custom tailoring.

Help is appreciated.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had MTM and true bespoke experiences.

MTM:
  • Hickey Freeman--3 suits
  • Oxxford--1 suit
  • Local custom tailor--1 suit

With all of the above, measurements were made by a tailor in the store. (It seemed as if they measured things I did not know existed!) The cutting and sewing were all done in the factory. When the final product arrived, small details were tweaked by the local tailor. The fit on all the suits is great. With MTM, I was able to select the fabric, color, and style. Small things such as slanted pockets, side vents, ticket pocket, working sleeve buttons, and vests were nice touches. (I should add that the fabric of the Oxxford suit is exquisite. Most of the construction, I'm told, is all by hand.)

Last year, I found a wonderful tailor who can make a suit "from scratch". He did all the cutting and sewing. Several months after the initial measurements, I came for the first fitting. I was horrified. What I saw was stitching and exposed fabric without any lining. (The tailor, by the way, convinced me to get a wine red lining.) The tailor, a perfectionist, spent an hour pinning and measuring. A month later, the suit was nearly done, and it was a thing of beauty. More tweaking and fine tuning. A few weeks later, the finished suit was "ready". Needless to say, it has become my favorite suit.

As nice as my MTM suits are, there is a difference in the fit of the bespoke. The look of the bespoke suit is sleek and elegant in every detail. And I love the color of the lining, too.

The cost of the bespoke suit was not much more than the MTM from Hickey Freeman--and less than the MTM suit from Oxxford! The tailor is a man who came to the US from Poland (years ago) and has been making suits for more than 50 years. A true artisan and gentleman.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer

Last year, I found a wonderful tailor who can make a suit "from scratch". He did all the cutting and sewing. Several months after the initial measurements, I came for the first fitting. I was horrified. What I saw was stitching and exposed fabric without any lining. (The tailor, by the way, convinced me to get a wine red lining.) The tailor, a perfectionist, spent an hour pinning and measuring. A month later, the suit was nearly done, and it was a thing of beauty. More tweaking and fine tuning. A few weeks later, the finished suit was "ready". Needless to say, it has become my favorite suit.

As nice as my MTM suits are, there is a difference in the fit of the bespoke. The look of the bespoke suit is sleek and elegant in every detail. And I love the color of the lining, too.

The cost of the bespoke suit was not much more than the MTM from Hickey Freeman--and less than the MTM suit from Oxxford! The tailor is a man who came to the US from Poland (years ago) and has been making suits for more than 50 years. A true artisan and gentleman.

Interesting - have you posted or could you post some pics of this bespoke suit? Thanks.

kcc

Reaction score
... (I should add that the fabric of the Oxxford suit is exquisite. Most of the construction, I'm told, is all by hand.) ...

Recently I met with a bespoke shirtmaker, who after completing my fitting assessed my MTM Crest coat. With regards to "hand-work", I was surprised at his assessment.

I'm becoming more convinced at the value of bespoke.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A large part of the bespoke experience is building a relationship with your tailor. The first suit could probably use a few minor improvements, and as you continue to work with him the suits get better and better.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret that I did not discover the bespoke tailor sooner. My MTM suits are great; the bespoke suit is even better. I'd rather have a few really fine suits than several that are "ordinary", or in some way, not comfortable.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post were the parting words from the bespoke tailor: "WEAR this suit! It is going to hold up against any use. There is no need to pamper it." Well, he was right. I can wear this suit all day, and it looks band box neat at end of the day.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's your bespoke tailor and where is he located? He sounds like quite a gentleman.

ATM

Reaction score
The tailor is a man who came to the US from Poland (years ago) and has been making suits for more than 50 years. A true artisan and gentleman.
Didn't you or someone else post a link to an article about him before the crash?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Who's your bespoke tailor and where is he located? He sounds like quite a gentleman.

He is Ludwik Labaj.

http://ludwiksmenswear.com

His store is located in a non-descript shopping mall on Van Dyke Road in Sterling Heights. There is nothing fancy about the place. Yet, everytime that I have been in there, a steady stream of customers passes through.

Ludwik is a gentleman and a person who takes real pride in his work. Truly, he wants to get it "right" for the customer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics