The Moving Arts' 100 Greatest Movies of All Time List Unveiled

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm not much of a movie buff, but I'm surprised that The Conversation isn't in the top 100. Too much Coppola already?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Too much Coppola already?
    Most definitely.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

actually, i take it back. terminator and aliens are better than some of the movies on that list.
    Thank you for that. I was just going to post the same thing. I've never heard of at least 20 of those movies. How Jaws could be 98th and Star Wars could be 69 is beyond me.

4. milosz

milosz Senior member

2001 and A Clockwork Orange are the only Kubricks I don't love.

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

yeah, too much kubrick and scorcese. they could replace barry lyndon with the conversation. also disappointed that rififi isn't on there. maybe the pacino remake will be on a future list [​IMG]

6. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I don't see the Lumiere brothers on there either.

Doesn't take a snob to see that James Cameron has never made a film better than any of the ones on that list, (except Synecdoche, NY)

Really? Lots of hate for Synecdoche, NY. I thought it was genius.

And I really hate the argument that commercial reception has anything to do with how good a film is. Does that mean Sex & the City is one of the greatest films of all time?

7. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Boring list, (mostly) filled with the same old canon stuff.

The problem with these lists is that they're so subjective in some respects, but in other respects they're much too - I'm not sure how to say this - historically-oriented (?). Why else is something like Birth of a Nation on there? It's mostly significant because it represented such a huge step forward, w.r.t. the introduction of the montage, etc. In this respect, I don't necessarily disagree with what I think Blackhood is saying. If Birth of a Nation can make it on the last, largely because of its historical significance, then why not newer technically significant films like Avatar, which are perhaps the exemplars of a "new wave" of film-making?

Not that I think that any of that should be taken into account when making a list like this, but if you're going to do so, then your standards should be consistent.

Personally, I'd rather see more idiosyncratic lists of this sort. The ones that Slant (and even the AV Club) made are really good, because instead of talking about The Godfather for the millionth time, you actually learn about newer films that are perhaps just as, if not more interesting than this stuff.

(Sorry for the tl;dr post.)

EDIT: Should also say that this list is better than most of its kind, though.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Manton - have you not heard of Andrei Roublev or have you not heard of Tarkovsky at all? He was a great film maker (many consider him the best ever) - Roublev may not be the easiest intro to his work though. Solaris is pretty cool and much better IMO than the Soderbergh remake.

I knew there was a Russian original to Solaris but I have never seen it and didn't know who the director was.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I know there are a lot of movie fanatics here so it would be interesting how SF dissects the list. http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/11/...s-of-all-time/ #1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Kubrick) #3. The Godfather (1972, Coppola) #4. Andrei Rublev (1966, Tarkovsky) #5. The Rules of the Game (1939, Renoir) #7. Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock) #8. La Dolce Vita (1960, Fellini) #9. Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa) #10. The Godfather Pt. II (1974, Coppola) #11. The Third Man (1949, Reed) #16. 8½ (1963, Fellini) #17. Singin’ In The Rain (1952, Donen, Kelly) #19. Lawrence of Arabia (1962, Lean) #20. Solaris (1972, Tarkovsky) #27. Battleship Potemkin (1915, Eisenstein) #32. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966, Leone) #41. Barry Lyndon (1975, Kubrick) #68. Manhattan (1979, Allen)
    The Third Man Fanny & Alexander Seven Samurai Barry Lyndon Dekalog La Dolce Vita Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Le Samourai Lawrence of Arabia Andrei Rublev 2001: Space Odyssey Godfather Parts I & II Singing in the Rain 8 1/2 Rules of the Game Solaris Battleship Potempkin Blade Runner Manhattan Vertigo
    Man, look how influential my 20 essential films list from last year has been to film scholars. They only missed Fanny & Alexander, Blade Runner, Dekalog (eligibility?) and Le Samourai.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Man, look how influential my 20 essential films list from last year has been to film scholars. They only missed Fanny & Alexander, Blade Runner, Dekalog (eligibility?) and Le Samourai.

This thread isn't really about you, pal.

11. StephenHero

This thread isn't really about you, pal.

My source says otherwise, old man.

12. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    My source says otherwise, old man.

Evidence?
    [​IMG]

13. StephenHero

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

As far as I'm concerned Terminator and Aliens are better films than There Will be Blood - but I'm a PTA h8er

actually, i take it back. terminator and aliens are better than some of the movies on that list.

I think Terminator is an interesting case - I think that one defined the modern Hollywood action blockbuster with cutting edge technology/special effects. And it holds up pretty well.

I think Malick's The New World is the best film I've seen in the past 10 years. I think it has a small, feverishly devoted cult but I guess not many people saw it. I'm also glad Eternal Sunshine made the list. Both Gondry and Kaufman have such odd and original sensibilities and that film really married their visions perfectly.

15. StephenHero

I would have these on there.

Play Time
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    12 Angry Men
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Hoop Dreams
    Le Trou