• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The movies of Kar Wai Wong

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Days of being wild is very moody and the filters Doyle uses gives an amazing tint to the whole movie. The eros short is ok, I think WKW's langorous style asks for a longer lenght.

I agree, and graphically the images are very lush.
Anybody know where those little interludes of written poetry are from?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He also directed DJ Shadow's Six Days video. Too bad the guy looks like a douche. I don't know if that's just my western sensibilities or if he would also be considered a douche in China.
Originally Posted by gamelan
Chungking Express definitely. great storyline and it's got Faye Wong.
inlove.gif

Faye Wong is beautiful in both a cute and androgynous way.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen Chunking Express and 2046, I loved them both. Chunking Express opened my eyes in terms of removing my built-in narrative expectations from watching mostly major studio films my entire life. 2046 is actually one of my favorite movies---I'm familiar with its criticisms but I wrote a paper about it's themes in a film class and came to love its ambiguities, its open-endedness. It was a tough nut to crack, to be sure. I found it's visual style to be entirely awesome, and Tony Leung's wardrobe would pass many an SF standard. The inclusion of Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li in those classic dresses (I'm sure there's a name for them) doesn't hurt either.

I keep wanting to rent his other works but I can't find them locally, so I guess I'll have to resort to Netflix or buy them (which I'll probably end up doing).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I keep wanting to rent his other works but I can't find them locally, so I guess I'll have to resort to Netflix or buy them (which I'll probably end up doing).
I bought the DVD box set a couple years ago

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I'll have to give 2046 some more viewings then.
Originally Posted by Brian278
The inclusion of Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li in those classic dresses (I'm sure there's a name for them) doesn't hurt either.
Qipao.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Hmm, I'll have to give 2046 some more viewings then.

Qipao.

I recommend it.

2046.jpg

ZiyiZhang_01.jpg

2046_1.jpg

Also, Faye Wong as a futuristic love-robot:

splash_mainimg.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the Mood for Love is an exercise of style--cigarette smoke lingering with claustrophobic decrepitude and flashes of silk.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite director. I love 2046, probably more so than In the Mood for Love.

Zubberah

Reaction score
IMO, One of pre-eminent film-makers working today and certainly in top echelon.

Catalan Style

Reaction score
Just saw MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS with Jude Law and Norah Jones laste nite. This is his latest movie. It aims to be an American road movie and despite the great shots, mood, colour etc I don't think he quite gets it right. IMHO something lacking in the characters, especially Norah Jones'. Also characters along the road seem too flat and cliched.
Not his best but always his mood filming makes me watch it all the way through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads