• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most unflattering jeans

modual

Reaction score
What do you guys find are the most unflattering jeans either on yourself or in general ? Of all the jeans i own i'd have to say my 1947 levis. I think i only keep them for historical value but they just look kind of messy and awkward on me and to be honest i've never seen anyone look that good in them. Interested to hear your thoughts

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm... most jeans ive tried are pretty flattering. maybe really baggy jeans, but 501s, 505, repros, rrl, cmf homme... all look pretty damn good.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
I'm probably going to be shot for saying this but I've never found a lot of the Levi cuts (especially the 501) very flattering.

A.

it usually is not imo

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
I'm probably going to be shot for saying this but I've never found a lot of the Levi cuts (especially the 501) very flattering.

A.

Ditto - maybe it's because Levi cuts often say to me - hey, generic jean. I dunno, I just find them really dull and uninspired, EVEN though they are in fact LESS common than bootcut, baggy, etc.

Anything that tapers kinda bugs me - looks like leggings. Leggings are never attractive. Never. Ditto for siper-baggy. If you need to have a hand on your ass to keep your jeans up, you look marsupialed.

modual

Reaction score
Good to see theres people in agrement with regards to 501's. Notice i said my levis look awkward and messy on me. I cant quite put my finger on why exactly they dont look good on people. When i wear them they kind of make me feel short and stumpy (i'm 5ft 10). Maybe its the taper and the fact that they dont have that "fullness" to them like a reg ralf or apc rescue
confused.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree. My 1947 is probably the top 3 most flattering jeans I have. They hug my waist and hips just right, without sagging or being too tight. I think it all depends on your body. Some jeans will fit great, while others won't. The other fits that I like alot are RB6b and 45rpm. Oh, my old 501xx fits and feels better than any others, but it's in its own category because it's been worn for so long.

Stalker McStalkerson

Reaction score
I think it depends where you wear your Levi's. I see a lot of people sag them at the hip bone which (thanks to the longer back rise) makes them look like they're wearing a diaper. Wearing them a bit higher waisted seems to improve the fit.

On topic: Most unflattering jeans in general would be the super skinny jeans. They tend to make people look disproportionately top and shoe heavy IMO. Super baggy jeans are also bothersome, but for the opposite reason (i.e. too bottom heavy)

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I too find Levi's to be quite unflattering. They are like denim dockers (in the sense that they dont look good on anyone). Its the one thing that has kept me from buying repos. As stated above, jeans in either end of the spectrum look in bad taste.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
As stated above, jeans in either end of the spectrum look in bad taste.

I like my jeans on the looser side, but I'd agree with this. Supertight, superloose, super tapered, super bootcut, super-embellished, super distressed, these are all going to look bad in the cold, sober light of next year.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jeans with a tight waist and a full cut in the seat and legs. Ugh. Looks like I'm wearing a pillow. Current 501s qualify for this, but 1947s are pretty flattering on me.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Cheap Monday turkey-leg jeans.

41312006238171729879324lta1.jpg

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
Those Cheap Monday turkey-leg jeans.

41312006238171729879324lta1.jpg

GAH!!!! My EYES! MY EYES! YOU SICK SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I think anything with a long rise looks awkward on a person. If they wear it low, it looks like diapers. If they wear it normal, the look like Fred from I Love Lucy. That may play with dress pants or even khakis but it doesn't work with me and denim. Levi's just happens to standard in that regard. Even their "Low-Rise" jeans look/feel like crap on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads