• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The most important thing ?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things which need to be of very good quality and "taste"

For me :

Shoes
Shirt

I thing you can judge well who is in front you with theses 2 things (+ watch )

What do you thing about it?

kalra2411

Reaction score
I think your taste is appauling. I hope I can see what you dress like.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your taste is appauling. I hope I can see what you dress like.
what does "appauling" mean?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the most important items are the ones that will last the longest- so shoes, suit/sportcoats, and dress shirts are certainly up there.

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
The most important thing in a wardrobe is a green tie.
/Mr S

mode_addict

Reaction score
shoes. period.
besides shoes, i would have to go with someone being well groomed. ie. hair especially

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things which need to be of very good quality and "taste"

For me :

Shoes
Shirt

I thing you can judge well who is in front you with theses 2 things (+ watch )

What do you thing about it?
Ernest, I generally think that you are obnoxious and have a very limited sense of style -- you seem awfully conservative in your dress, which indicates to me a lack of imagination -- but I have to agree with you for the most part on this one. I think you can tell a lot about a man's dress from his shoes. If a guy has on a suit and he has some rubber soled monstrosities on (and I've seen this a lot even down on Wall Street), well, it just makes you presume that his suit, tie, shirt, etc. are cheap. Just passing by a man on the street, or meeting with him in his office, you can definitely tell whether he is wearing a great suit. But if the suit fits right, it is tough to tell the difference, just on a quick glance, between a $500 suit and a $1500 suit (though I'm sure A. Harris could, but he has superpowers). If a man has nice shoes -- they don't have to be EG or anything, just something respectable like well-shined Johnston and Murphy Aristocraft captoes -- then you must presume his suit is on the upper end of that scale.

I also agree with watches. I had a meeting with a very stylish man who was wearing a beautifully fitted Hickey Freeman Collection navy blue pinstripe suit, with wonderful Allen Edmond shoes -- the guy had on a digital Ironman watch. Sorry, but that ruined the look.

rayk

Reaction score
Ernest: I've come to love your contributions. They are indicative of a measure of my self-control. I do understand how language-limited are the French. I studied in France in 1978 near Rue Cabanis in the Latin Quarter. Paris is beyond question the most wonderful and romantic city. I, for one, look forward to your opinions (easy boys, I'm trying); but be objective in your opinions....allow us to have equally valid points of view.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So what does a super-high-end shoe obsession say about my social views??
though I'm sure A. Harris could, but he has superpowers
Super suit vision Â
To me the shoes, and the fit of the clothing say the most about the person's taste, and to a certain degree about their personality. But I don't think that clothes really reveal much at all about the quality of the person.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I don't think that clothes really reveal much at all about the quality of the person.
I am in agreement here. Though, I think that sometimes one's personality traits overlap with their quality as a person, don't you think.

I think that clothes reveal more about one's wealth, or at least how they spend it. And, to a certain extent -- depending upon whether the quality of the clothes mirrors the bank account -- how they feel about (1) themselves, and (2) money. These are also personality attributes that sometimes reflect on the quality of the person.

But I would of course never disregard someone as a friend, etc. merely by dress. Dress is, when it comes down to it, more of a hobby, if a functional one at that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey