• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most generic/unstylish/invisible outfit a man can have? (khakis+polo shirt?)

Oleg

Reaction score
Yip, I'm going to ditch two staple elements of the mod or preppy wardrobe just because fat ass middle Americans wear them badly?
rolleyes.gif
I'm sure there's people on here who dress up in a suit and tie to talk the dog for a walk at the weekend. Horrid thread: 'I know, let's all us well-dressed guys have a snigger at the folk who aren't as self-obsessed'

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bright blue color polo is one that 1,000 of American males will never ever wear again because it reminds them of work.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinitus
As others mentioned, sleeve length is key.
I believe that's just a short sleeve button down shirt as opposed to a polo.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
They always look good on models in Ralph Lauren advertisements. Unfortunately the gap between advertising fantasy and humdrum reality is greater for Ralph's pony polos than for any other fashion item I can think of.

On the subject of generic outfits, it can depend on your location. The other day I saw a guy in beige trousers, a tan checked wool jacket worn over a washed-out khaki polo shirt. I used to see a lot of older men dressed like that in the US and they were perfectly anonymous, but this fellow stood out in Paris.

An anonymous "no style" Paris look is probably a black sweat shirt, jeans and trainers. And the summer costume of the generic French beauf is probably the worst in the western world: Tight fitting spandex "wife beater" t-shirt worn with 3/4 length capri pants.

The trick is to buy the right size and cut. Most people buy one size too big.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
I believe that's just a short sleeve button down shirt as opposed to a polo.

That is actually closer to the original Brooks polo shirt, which was a long sleeved shirt, with a button down collar and a partial placket.

What we all call a polo shirt today is really a tennis shirt as produced by Lacoste starting in the early 1930s.

/pedantic point

- B

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That is actually closer to the original Brooks polo shirt, which was a long sleeved shirt, with a button down collar and a partial placket.

/pedantic point

Which would now be colloquially referred to as a "popover." If you want to be pedantic...

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
I think if the chinos have pleats in them and they're the typical khaki color and the polo is tucked in with a brown leather belt, then yes. Bonus points if overweight and the polo is still a size too large.

It's not "still" a size too large.

The problem with polo shirts is that you cannot wear them well if you are more than five pounds above your optimum polo-shirt-wearing weight. As a result, they either look great or awful and almost nothing in between.

If you have any belly at all, it will turn into a protruding, cloth-covered dome if you try to wear one the proper size. Many people size up in an often futile effort to avoid this. But a shirt that "fits" your twenty-pound spare tire will leave you with gaping sleeves down past your elbows. You'd think there would be a brand of polos that is pyramid-shaped. Perhaps they could be marketed by Ralphie Lauren and feature a little donut in place of the horse.

This thread already has plenty of illustrations. Nacho, the treasonous little bastard, looks good because he is at his optimal polo-shirt weight, as are Sean Connery and JFK.

Nacho+Figueras+Celebrates+Ralph+Lauren+Polo+NBQgKKSeRHKl.jpg

This fellow is ten pounds over his optimum polo-shirt-wearing weight.

img0830k.jpg

Finally, we have a more extreme case. As you can see, he looks like a pregnant muffin.

john-daly-golfer.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Who makes that polo again? I cant tell.

Nike-Sweatshops-05.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ack. It's not sleeve length so much as it is being physically fit. Put this guy:

In one of those body-hugging, shorter-sleeved polos, and he'd just look like a sausage in a pique casing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think AlanC ever got so much attention about one of his fits and the guy wears fedoras and spectators on a regular basis !
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads