1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The most beautiful watch, ever

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Make sure you try it on (if you haven't already). XGT proportions don't work for everyone

I've tried it on a few times. I normally wear a Portuguese, though, so I think it will be fine.

I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.
    I'm not just talking about the thickness. I'm also fine with my Big Pilot but I had to sell my RGD after a few weeks. Couldn't stand the proportions.

3. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

The VC and vox JLC are great dress watches, IMO.

I really like that they don't have seconds hands. For whatever reason, I don't think it can be a true dress watch if it has a seconds hands (even though it might otherwise be a great looking watch).

I've considered going out and finding an older model, as all the ones I like today have a really high premium, IMO. Especially for how few occasions I would want a true dress watch.

Longines has one that is similar but feels just a bit off.

4. gdl203

My grail watch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I looked at these:

That is close, but I think the VC is better - the dial layout and proportions and the mix of printing and applied Cross combine with the hands for a perfect face.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I bought this:

I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.

6. mafoofan

I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.

I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Unfortunately, the platinum version will also take $110k out of your pocket. But the good news is that the gold one sells for a measly $80k.

OUCH.

I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.

8. mafoofan

I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.

The regular 7-days Portuguese sells for ~$7k in steel. I think it has one of the most beautiful and perfect dial layouts around. "Look, Ma! No cut-off numerals!"

[​IMG]

9. gdl203

I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.
    I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs

10. mafoofan

I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs

To me, the watch case is a more simple form when the lugs are not so visually distinct.

11. gdl203

To me, the watch case is a more simple form when the lugs are not so visually distinct.
    I agree. I like both personally. First one is more geometric/bauhaus, second one is a bit more stealthy.

12. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] unbelievable watch.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whether it is Bauhaus or not, I like the austerity of the lugs in the Extra-Plate patrimony. It is the way that they are not integrated into the case that I like. iammatt: Did they have the Extra Plate in white gold when you bought the Contemporaine? In which color did you get yours?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whether it is Bauhaus or not, I like the austerity of the lugs in the Extra-Plate patrimony. It is the way that they are not integrated into the case that I like. iammatt: Did they have the Extra Plate in white gold when you bought the Contemporaine? In which color did you get yours?
    No. It was in rose.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

No. It was in rose.

That's what I am afraid of (or hopeful of). Perhaps I missed my chance.

16. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

The odds of you mofos liking the next two are low, but I am forever on the lookout for a pristine example of each:

This Concord:

[​IMG]

This Hamilton:

[​IMG]

18k versions of either are impossible to find.

- B

17. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

They make a version of this that is about 38mm, which I wouldn't mind owning.

Other candidates, the PP 5196 in gold of one color or another.

Dopey's on the right track with his choice of the VC Patrimony, but I prefer the Patrimony Contemporaine, or especially the Traditionelle Self-Winding (more of a daytime watch, but really nicely proportioned).

Full disclosure: I don't know much about watches, but I do know what I like.

18. romafan

romafan Senior member

Serious question from a non-watch guy. What is the second 'mini-dial' seen on many of these? for instance: Attachment 15138

19. gdl203

That's the seconds hand/dial

20. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

There you go again...