1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

the most awesome room I have ever seen

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GQgeek, Nov 23, 2009.

1. hannibal06

hannibal06 Well-Known Member

Some beautiful rooms at Buckingham Palace

yet you failed to post any of them.

sorry just not my taste. i like the room in the op though

2. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

yet you failed to post any of them.

sorry just not my taste. i like the room in the op though

I have very eclectic taste.

How about a room furnished entirely with Memphis Milano furniture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

^ If you asked me to think of the least awesome room I could imagine, that would probably be close. It looks like the set of a children's show.

4. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Looks to me like they're trying to hard. I'd sit down in that room and immediately freak out, too many loud colors, too much form and not enough function, Creepy.

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

^ If you asked me to think of the least awesome room I could imagine, that would probably be close. It looks like the set of a children's show.

+1. Ugh.

6. btinl

btinl Senior member

[​IMG]

Looks like a Thigh Master mounted on the wall.

7. guardimp

guardimp Well-Known Member

It looks like you took childrens toys, and put them in a room.

8. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

[​IMG]
    'Carlton' sideboard by Ettore Sottsass, 1981

HA ha -- well, you guys obviously are not familiar with Memphis Milano. it was an international design group in the early '80s based in Milan. They played a big part in transforming the formulaic furniture designs being produced in Italy (and around the world) by the late 1970s. They purposefully subverted the norms of form, function, and "good taste".

The 1980s saw a huge shift in the design world and design market. Memphis Milano was a big deal in the furniture industry at the time ...not so much because of its design style, but by reinvigorating an increasingly banal international furniture market. Many of today's big-name designers owe their success and freedom of creativity to the famous designers who made up Memphis Milano.

Karl Lagerfeld furnished his Monte Carlo apartment with Memphis in 1981
    [​IMG]

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

[​IMG]

A huge difference between a few tastefully selected pieces and an entire room that smacks you in the face with primary colors and weird shapes when you enter it.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

Karl Lagerfeld furnished his Monte Carlo apartment with Memphis in 1981 [​IMG]
    That boombox looks bad-ass, like something LK would own. --Andre

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Looks like a Thigh Master mounted on the wall.

[​IMG]
    'Carlton' sideboard by Ettore Sottsass, 1981

HA ha -- well, you guys obviously are not familiar with Memphis Milano. it was an international design group in the early '80s based in Milan. They played a big part in transforming the formulaic furniture designs being produced in Italy (and around the world) by the late 1970s. They purposefully subverted the norms of form, function, and "good taste".

The 1980s saw a huge shift in the design world and design market. Memphis Milano was a big deal in the furniture industry at the time ...not so much because of its design style, but by reinvigorating an increasingly banal international furniture market. Many of today's big-name designers owe their success and freedom of creativity to the famous designers who made up Memphis Milano.

[​IMG]

Both rooms are terrible imo.

12. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

HA ha -- well, you guys obviously are not familiar with Memphis Milano. it was an international design group in the early '80s based in Milan. They played a big part in transforming the formulaic furniture designs being produced in Italy (and around the world) by the late 1970s. They purposefully subverted the norms of form, function, and "good taste". The 1980s saw a huge shift in the design world and design market. Memphis Milano was a big deal in the furniture industry at the time ...not so much because of its design style, but by reinvigorating an increasingly banal international furniture market. Many of today's big-name designers owe their success and freedom of creativity to the famous designers who made up Memphis Milano.
    So, big name designers said, " Wow, we can't make anything this fucking hideous if we tried, so whatever we do create is going to be the fucking bees knees for sure!"

13. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

So, big name designers said, " Wow, we can't make anything this fucking hideous if we tried, so whatever we do create is going to be the fucking bees knees for sure!"

Forgive me, but that is ridiculous!

The leader of the Memphis group was Ettore Sottsass, who was one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. He introduced 'humanism' to industrial design ...through the use of colour and shape.

Designed by Ettore Sottsass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I love some of what Sottsass and others have done with Alessi, but I think too much of it in the same room (a la your first picture) is appalling.

15. stewartu

stewartu Senior member

Forgive me, but that is ridiculous! The leader of the Memphis group was Ettore Sottsass, who was one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. He introduced 'humanism' to industrial design ...through the use of colour and shape. Designed by Ettore Sottsass. [​IMG]
    Must have been a sale on those paint colors.