1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

the most awesome room I have ever seen

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GQgeek, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ysc

ysc Senior member

Tacky.

It looks like some unfortunate looking nerd got rich and built something he envisioned from a Dickens novel.

+ 1

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Awesome is not the word that comes to mind. More like "Fat Goth Telecommunications NOC"

Yes it does look like someone's parents' basement
    Total creepy masturbatorium. All it needs now is its own gym and showers. The decor looks like the inside of an AMC movie theater and probably smells even mankier.

If my parents' basement looked like that, I would never leave.
    Is that some sort of syllogism?

Tacky.

It looks like some unfortunate looking nerd got rich and built something he envisioned from a Dickens novel.

+ 1
    I take it you're referring to the library. I could have sworn I saw it in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

3. ysc

ysc Senior member

I take it you're referring to the library. I could have sworn I saw it in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman.
    I was thinking of both really. The first one looks like something inspired by too many bad sword and sorcery novels and sweaty fantasies involving steam punk princesses. Trying to build things that look "old" almost never works, Hearst had almost unlimited funds and couldn't make it work. Actually if you want to see that sort of thing done well check out "the witchery" in Edinburgh. Still tasteless, but awesome. The second isn't as bad, but is a pretty unfortunate fusion of "traditional" library and... I don't know what. I wouldn't want it in my house although I guess the idea behind it isn't bad. I have vague memory of the League of Extraordinary gentlemen scene, but I destroyed much of the memory of watching that film by stabbing key locations of my brain with a pin, it was that bad.

4. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member

I like J. W.'s library, but not my style.

I really like the view and feel from Johnson's Glass House.

[​IMG]

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I think the glass banisters are over the top in the library, but otherwise, what he has collected appeals to me greatly and I would love to have a room where I could personally appreciate it and showcase it as well. Also, the thought of having such a library and having a son, daughter, or both is fun to think about - the discoveries and inspiration they would find . . .

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

With a few minor alterations this could be a Steak and Ale...

7. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

With a few minor alterations this could be a Steak and Ale...

GQg33k prefers Stakin' Male.

8. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

AF has a sixth sense when it comes to audio. [​IMG]
    I seriously doubt Hans Zimmer has bad audio equipment.

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Senior member

I think that if you're into recording music, then room number one is very cool!

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I like J. W.'s library, but not my style.

I really like the view and feel from Johnson's Glass House.

[​IMG]

Sure. But does it meet passive house standards?

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I seriously doubt Hans Zimmer has bad audio equipment.

I don't see cable elevators so he certainly doesn't have a good ear!

12. Vugal

Vugal New Member

While this may not be ones own personal design taste, I think views like this are incredible.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

wow you can say that from first look?

Looks and placement.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Looks and placement.

LOL. You don't know what you're talking about.

--Andre

15. Artisan Fan

LOL. You don't know what you're talking about.

--Andre

You have made too many bogus comments on audio on this board, I would not even know where to begin.

16. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

17. A Y

A Y Senior member

You have made too many bogus comments on audio on this board, I would not even know where to begin.

Would they be less bogus if I suspended them on a styrofoam cup?

It's one thing to say that you don't like the Quested speakers Hans Zimmer uses because the woofers' outer basket supports screw with the sound in some way. It's entirely another thing to look at a dark picture of half a room, and say that the looks and placement condemn the woofers. You may as well use tea leaves to judge the quality of the woofers and dispense entirely with the picture.

--Andre

18. Artisan Fan

Would they be less bogus if I suspended them on a styrofoam cup? It's one thing to say that you don't like the Quested speakers Hans Zimmer uses because the woofers' outer basket supports screw with the sound in some way. It's entirely another thing to look at a dark picture of half a room, and say that the looks and placement condemn the woofers. You may as well use tea leaves to judge the quality of the woofers and dispense entirely with the picture. --Andre
    The woofers look cheap; there are too many of them; they don't look time-aligned; and generally musicians have the worst sounding systems. For pro systems, generally the only ones I like are Lipinski and ATC. Could it still sound good? Sure, but its doubtful based on my experience.

19. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

The woofers look cheap; there are too many of them; they don't look time-aligned; and generally musicians have the worst sounding systems. For pro systems, generally the only ones I like are Lipinski and ATC.

Could it still sound good? Sure, but its doubtful based on my experience.

I have ATC system at home and it is not really suitable for casual music listening. It is good for work but for enjoying music I would never choose it., juts my 2c.

20. Artisan Fan

I have ATC system at home and it is not really suitable for casual music listening. It is good for work but for enjoying music I would never choose it., juts my 2c.
    I would have believed you but at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest I heard the Super Audio Center LCR ATCs playing the upcoming Nat King Cole SACDs. Breathtaking sound. And this was in a horrible room! My view on pro audio is that high end audio brands work better for pro audio. And that is based on my professional recording work as well as my own home listening. Some of the best studio monitors I have used are Usher Tiny Dancers and Reference 3A.