• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Monocle.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoooogaaaaannnn!

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a monocle, but feel like a fool gripping it with my face. Plus, I don't need glasses.

Last remaining popular user:

aag_46237_f5.gif

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, an affectation that seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I think I just defined a dandies wet dream.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery

Since my right eye has astigmatic issues that my left eye doesn't, I feel that a monocle would be the ideal compromise.

However, this item needs to be employed with care as it really only goes with simple modern clothing. Otherwise, you'll look like you came from a Fedora Lounge meetup.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Since my right eye has astigmatic issues that my left eye doesn't, I feel that a monocle would be the ideal compromise.

However, this item needs to be employed with care as it really only goes with modern clothing. Otherwise, you'll look like you came from a Fedora Lounge meetup.

I think a better compromise would be glasses. Why would you want overdeveloped muscle around one eye and a groove from clenching the darned thing?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I think a better compromise would be glasses. Why would you want overdeveloped muscle around one eye and a groove from clenching the darned thing?

A good monocle doesn't require clenching.

They were made so as to fit into your ocular bone structure. Besides, it wouldn't be worn all the time.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always understood that most of the popularity of the monocle came from the fact that a number of armies, most notably the British and the Prussian, forbade their officers from wearing spectacles in public, the monocle being a compromise for those who were visually impaired.

No matter what sort of apparel it may be conjoined with, I fear that in contemporary America (and probably most other places) the wearing of a monocle will be perceived as highly eccentric and costumey.

As a matter of note, some of the veteran staff at Guns & Ammo told me that my late friend Col. John D. "Jeff" Cooper, whose name will be familiar to gun-savvy forumites, affected a monocle for awhile although he had evidently discarded the practice by the time I became friends with him.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery

No dandy would be caught dead wearing a monocle.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

However, this item needs to be employed with care as it really only goes with simple modern clothing. Otherwise, you'll look like you came from a Fedora Lounge meetup.

Only if you accessorize with a Zeppelin and those JM Weston button boots. Then you might be a Nouveau Traditionalist.

versusqc

Reaction score
Wodehouse, a more significant writer than Proust, and gifted with a more profound insight into the human condition
rimshot.gif
Wodehouse is funny, at best, but comparing him to Proust, and posing him as more significant writer
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics