• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mitchell Report

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Interesting. But is it really likely that the effect of the steroids would be so immediate?

I'm not a doctor, but I'd say no.

reading everything I find interesting that Bonds has been made to be the poster boy for steroid use and all this talk of him not deserving the HOF or that his production would not be the same sans steroids but I doubt you'll hear that same talk, or at least as vociferous, when it comes to the others. A lot of sportwriters strike me as the kids who never got picked for sports in school and when a Barry Bonds situation comes along, they are going to get their payback.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm not a doctor, but I'd say no.

That was my assumption, but I really have no idea.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
Is that a list about steriods or HGH? I thought Mitchell was investigating both?

This list is HGH.

Then again, are you going to be surprised if the lists are relatively the same?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume that was ironic? His career year was 1993, when he hit .305 with 19 home runs (his previous career high had been 10)
Odd, just a mental slip on my part then. I seem to remember this SI feature on Dykstra a while back mentioning his 50 HRs season.

P.S: Got it. I must have him confused with Brady Anderson.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Neither is Trot Nixon, which appears to contradict the Houston Chronicle website. The sad thing is that, being a Sox fan and having watched them in and out every day, it would not have surprised me to have seen either Varitek or Nixon on the list (or Kevin Millar, for that matter). I'd also be surprised if Brett Boone or Brady Anderson were innocent, but the majority of the information comes from a former Mets clubhouse attendant and a former Yankees trainer, so if those guys weren't involved, it wasn't going to make the report for the most part. I was a bit surprised to see Brian Roberts' name in the report, but the sources for that claim appear particularly tenuous.

I would not have been surprised, but I would have felt tremedous disappointment if 'Tek was on the list. As Schilling alluded to this morning on his interview on WEEI, he's one of those guys who you look at as the heart and soul of the team and representative of a certain work ethic.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I would not have been surprised, but I would have felt tremedous disappointment if 'Tek was on the list. As Schilling alluded to this morning on his interview on WEEI, he's one of those guys who you look at as the heart and soul of the team and representative of a certain work ethic.

I agree. The reason I would not have been surprised is that, just from appearance, it looks like Tek isn't nearly as bulky as he was 3 or 4 years ago. Also, his power numbers have really slipped (though you could attibute this to aging and particularly the wear and tear from his position). Also, it's possible he changed his offseason training program to reduce his bulk for whatever reason. Finally, it's possible I'm just seeing things.

Nixon's power numbers have suffered a significant decline, as have Millar's and Bret Boone's (the power numbers for these last two basically fell off a cliff right around the time MLB started its testing program).

Tyto

Reaction score
That's old news. I recall reading quite some time ago that Dyskstra used steroids to bulk up for his last year with the Mets to pump up his free agent value. He ended up hitting something like twice his career average in home runs, as I recall.

"Now, I did not know that." Too bad.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been played up more in the news coverage [from the NYT]

Mr. Mitchell blamed the lack of cooperation from players on two things"”the advice given players from the Major League Players Association and a culture of silence in baseball. Sixty-eight former players agreed to be interviewed, but more than 400 former players also declined, the Mitchell report says.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Your assumption is that I am not a doctor?

No, the other. I had always assumed you're a proctologist.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Odd, just a mental slip on my part then. I seem to remember this SI feature on Dykstra a while back mentioning his 50 HRs season.

P.S: Got it. I must have him confused with Brady Anderson.

I'll note, though, that in looking up Dykstra's stats that his power spike did not occur in his last year with the Mets, so my recall isn't entirely reliable, either. By 1993, he'd been with the Phillies a few years. I don't know if his contract ran out at the end of that year and he re-signed with the Phillies for much more money, of if my recollection that the power spike came during a pre-free agency year is just wrong.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on cue, Bill Simmons delights in the revelations about Roger Clemens in the Mitchell Report.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Right on cue, Bill Simmons delights in the revelations about Roger Clemens in the Mitchell Report.

I haven't read it yet (looks like one of his mailbags). However, not surprising given that its alleged Clemens started his steroid use right AFTER he left the Red Sox. As a Sox fan, I can't say that I'm not enjoying it a little bit. However, I'm more disgusted by the entire thing. It could just as easily be my favorite players.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my assumption, but I really have no idea.

With direct injection, which is alleged for clemens, they do work faster. They also have an immediate impact on recovery time - almost anyone who gets knee surgery is prescribed a mild oral steriod to help recovery. As a power pitcher, leg drive is the foundation for your fastball.

McGwire's probable steroid use was mostly about his knee, not his bulk, when he broke the HR record. He hadn't been healthy for a full season in several years.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, is Roger Clemens finished? Sounds like Pettitt has thrown him under the bus, and Congress (which apparently has nothing better to do) is sharpening its knives. How does this play out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics