The Mitchell Report

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by whacked, Dec 13, 2007.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

To keep from being a lousy player (by MLB standards). I suppose it could made the difference between a shot at "The Show" and languishing in the minors. Besides, I can see how a journeyman would expect to fly under the radar and not have anyone take notice. Harder to understand why a marquee player would take the risk.

Probably to move up from the 3-5mil/year contract to the 10-15mil/year contract.

Also, since so many crappty players were still crappy even after taking the 'roids, this would lead one to assume that all the roids due is enhance what is already though, to what degree, I don't know. In other words, if I took 'roids I could probably get my vicious heater up to 63-65 mph, up from 55-60 or that a guy like Barry Bonds (that sound you hear is pandora's box opening) is probably as good as the numbers suggest with the 'roids maybe adding 10% or so to his production so that all the home run record media bullshit that went on was just that, bullshit.

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

First Mitchell brokers peace in Northern Ireland. Then, he takes on baseball.

Next...THE WORLD!

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

First Mitchell brokers peace in Northern Ireland. Next, he takes on baseball.

Next...THE WORLD!

I hear he's now trying to get Manton and Labelking to make nice.

4. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Probably to move up from the 3-5mil/year contract to the 10-15mil/year contract.
    Point taken. It's just that at that level, it seems that it would involve a lot more risk for what I'd think would be relatively less gain. I'm not sure how much minor leaguers make, but I think I recall the earnings difference between a top minor leaguer and a crappy major leaguer being pretty significant. Whereas at the Bonds/Clemens level, how many toys do you need? One could argue that it's about glory/bragging rights more than the toys, but I'd think the cheers would ring pretty hollow if you know you cheated. Then again, there's no accounting for psychology.

5. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Is anyone else surprised that Len Dykstra is on that list?

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

CNN is streaming it right now, although no picture is showing for me...

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Aside from the obvious(Bonds, Palmeiro, Sheffield, Sosa. Giambi, McGwire etc.), we now know about Clemens, Pujols, Pettite, Pudge Rodriguez, Tejada, Bagwell, Garciaparra, Gagne, Glaus... At least 10 potential future HOFers in there. All I have to say is: good work, (former) Sen. Mitchell.
    I am glad to see Pujols on the list. He has always been treated with kid gloves, and that punk hypocrite LaRussa has spent a lot of time pumping him up while trashing bonds for roids... at least when he wasn't busy getting arrested.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Is anyone else surprised that Len Dykstra is on that list?

That's old news. I recall reading quite some time ago that Dyskstra used steroids to bulk up for his last year with the Mets to pump up his free agent value. He ended up hitting something like twice his career average in home runs, as I recall.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Brady Anderson is innocent!

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

That's old news. I recall reading quite some time ago that Dyskstra used steroids to bulk up for his last year with the Mets to pump up his free agent value. He ended up hitting something like twice his career average in home runs, as I recall.
    He hit 50 that season, IIRC.

http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf
    Dang that is looong. I did a quick search, and no mention of Pujols is to be found. Seems like the Houston Chronicle's leak was off.

12. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

the clemens accusation, while not entirely surprising, is huge since it jeopardizes his chances as a first ballot HOFer. Reports say that he started around '99, about the same time as Bonds. I would contend that both had HOF worthy careers before they started using but I would be bothered if they made it on the first ballot.

13. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Also, since so many crappty players were still crappy even after taking the 'roids, this would lead one to assume that all the roids due is enhance what is already though, to what degree, I don't know. In other words, if I took 'roids I could probably get my vicious heater up to 63-65 mph, up from 55-60 or that a guy like Barry Bonds (that sound you hear is pandora's box opening) is probably as good as the numbers suggest with the 'roids maybe adding 10% or so to his production so that all the home run record media bullshit that went on was just that, bullshit.

Steroids will not make one a better hitter or pitcher. It will not improve the batter's eye or the pitcher's placement.

Steroids will enhance greatly recovery time. Thus, over the course of a season, an older pitcher like Clemens can a) build up bulk from his lifting routine more easily; b) recovery faster between starts; and c) pitch effectively later inot his 40s. A hitter can add muscle sufficient to power balls that were long outs into the stands and to keep up his performance late into a grueling schedule.

The irony with Bonds is that many thought he could go the hall based on his pre-steroid performance.

14. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Steroids will not make one a better hitter or pitcher. It will not improve the batter's eye or the pitcher's placement.

Steroids will enhance greatly recovery time. Thus, over the course of a season, an older pitcher like Clemens can a) build up bulk from his lifting routine more easily; b) recovery faster between starts; and c) pitch effectively later inot his 40s. A hitter can add muscle sufficient to power balls that were long outs into the stands and to keep up his performance late into a grueling schedule.

The irony with Bonds is that many thought he could go the hall based on his pre-steroid performance.

A coworker of mine, one of the most knowledgeable baseball fans I know, contends that steroids helps leg strength which for a power pitcher is important. He points out that the pitchers on the list are power pitchers.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

the clemens accusation, while not entirely surprising, is huge since it jeopardizes his chances as a first ballot HOFer. Reports say that he started around '99, about the same time as Bonds. I would contend that both had HOF worthy careers before they started using but I would be bothered if they made it on the first ballot.
    Clemens is accused of using steroids from the 1998 through 2001 seasons, during which he won two Cy Young awards. If you discount those awards, he still has five Cy Youngs. He gets in on the first ballot, easily. Steroid accusations will harm marginal HOFers like Palmeiro and McGwire.