1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Middle Class Mind / The Wealthy Mind

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lighthouse, Jun 8, 2011.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

If you have any doubt whatsoever which class you are from, you are middle class. The poors and the richies know who they are.

I'm middle class as a motherfucker.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

If you have any doubt whatsoever which class you are from, you are middle class. The poors and the richies know who they are.

I'm middle class as a motherfucker.

I think a reasonably good definition of middle class circa 2011 is "A member of the working class trying to convince himself he's not."

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I am somewhat mesmerized by your avatar.

Koch fractal.

Also, many of the themes of this thread are addressed completely in another sitcom, The Jeffersons.. (Manton, this show is not about Thomas Jefferson, but a descendant.) - B

Dy-no-mite!

4. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Dy-no-mite!

Wrong show. [​IMG]

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I think a reasonably good definition of middle class circa 2011 is "A member of the working class trying to convince himself he's not."

To be working class I would have to work.

6. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

To be working class I would have to work.

Are you employed, sir?! Surely you don't go looking for a job dressed like that, do you? On a weekday?

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Toward the end of the this eye opening visit, I asked: "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

Can you guess his answer?

Why not both.

9. voxsartoria

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

What was the net worth of this Eastern mystic of yours, such that he was shod in such finery?

11. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Can you measure the net worth of the sky? Can you calculate the leverage of a soul in tune with the universe? You can't.

As to how the man came upon these mythical shoes, your science can no more explain that than it can explain how the earth came into contact with the sea. Some things simply are...

12. voxsartoria

13. divitius

divitius Well-Known Member

It seems like one distinction could be that the middle class/working class with debt mind thinks of itself as an employee of a business, while an upper class mind thinks of itself as a business.

14. wootx

wootx Senior member

Boys, boys...perhaps a story will help?

Many, many years ago (well, four years ago, but "many, many years ago" is a far more pleasing way to start a story) I was trekking in Nepal (an Asiatic nation.)

The atmosphere was thin and the sun bright. Tripadvisor noted that that the area in which I was trekking had an amazing llama (review samples: "OMG, the area in which I am trekking has an amazing llama!" and "+1" and "They missed turndown service.")

I asked the llama (the human kind, not the kind that spits at you when you prt it, or hums, or is ridden by RJman to work) many questions. He gave answers such as, "No, I wouldn't Tweet that pic," and "Leave the maid alone," and "Canucks? I hate that fucking team!"

Toward the end of the this eye opening visit, I asked: "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

Can you guess his answer?

He answered and I dropped my gaze. On his feet?

$500 shoes.

True story.

- B

Cool story bro. I reckon he was able to "afford" those shoes, because this is the real question

15. voxsartoria

16. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Gilligan's Island!

I like the episode when the boy Kurt Russel jungle boy appears on the island. Also I remember some freaky episode where they aren't on the island but kidnapped (?) by some evil scientist. Ginger talks like the Professor and vice versa.

Also, why don't people mention Lovey when it comes to this hackneyed "who would you rather" question. Now that I am older (but not old), I think this really should be a question including the lovely Natalie Schafer.

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

Pardon me, RSS, would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?
    But, of course.

18. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I am poorer for having read this threak.

19. voxsartoria

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    (Note to self: I'm assuming he's an aristo, albeit of the swarthy kind, and not some fellow named Don.)

like Don Loper? (someone is going to have to explain this joke to Vox).