• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middle Class Mind / The Wealthy Mind

Amelorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think the proof is in the shoe. I do not own a single pair of $500 shoes.
frown.gif

A marketing book I read actually gives you some credence. The author argues that our class is indicated, an an abridged form, by what we consume.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaksheytalwar
5.5m$ annual income is like 1 in 10k families in USA according to Wikipedia. That is like 30k families in the whole of USA, so like perhaps 1000-2000 families in New York. That is somewhat the richest few. I am not talking of total wealth but just of your annual income.
Yea total annual income. A list celebrities make way more than a measly 5.5m a year as do wealthy businessmen. Hell my MD pulls in around 3-5m a year and a partner even more. Also I dont get the Honda accord reference in the "rich" category. Seriously? If someone pulls in 1.6m annually no **** they can buy an accord, and it wont be an E class either.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The description is for India when talking of a Honda Accord. A Honda Accord costs around 70-80k USD in India and a person must earn at least 250-500k USD to afford that much for a single car, especially when it is expected for a family to have 4 cars. And please get your facts right, Nike's CEO gets 2m USD a year. Havard's President gets 700k USD a year. Only 1 in 10k families in USA earn 5.5m a year and 1 in 10k is supposed to be rich. The 20th well paid celebrity gets around 8m USD a year, talking of hollywood actors that is. So I guess not more than 50-100 hollywood actors in USA earn over $5.5m a year, even if it is slightly wrong, it won't be over 500 or so. And I am talking of like 10k families in USA who earn over 5.5m USD a year, which isn't too small, but definitely not big considering USA's population. And only big business owners have personal incomes worth $5.5m a year, those whose businesses are worth at least a few hundred million dollars, which is just a few thousand in USA.
So stupid I know know where to start. Nike CEO gets 2m a year? Maybe base salary. Ever hear of ******* stock options? Other benefits? If he get fired he gets a hefty golden parachute worth multiples of 2m. Obama makes a paltry 400k a year, are you going to use him as an example too? The 100th richest celebrity earns 10m. Wrong again. http://www.forbes.com/wealth/celebrities#p_10_s_arank_ There are nearly 3m millionaires in the US. Are you going to tell me that only a few thousand earn more than 5.5m???? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire ****, out of my personal network I know at least 30-40 people who either, they, or their parents, easily clear 5.5m And Im sure as I get older Ill know many more. Dont sit there and tell me theres only 10k people in the US making more than 5.5m.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire EXAMPLE The number of U.S. households with a net worth over $5 million, again not including first homes, fell by 28 percent to 840,000. This is their net worth, not annual income. If 800k families are worth $5m, only 20k or so will have that kind of annual income, may be even less than that. Shows how immature and young you are. I bet you aren't even 35 yet, perhaps not even 30.
Lol because being young means Im stupid right? Oh well. Pull all the numbers you want. Im far to lazy to read through all that drivel. 5.5m isnt limited to 10k people. And those CEO compensation reports mean nothing. Any marsupial whose worked in the corporate world knows that. Am I supposed to believe that Steve Jobs gets paid 1$ a year also? Oh golden blog btw.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
apparently, I'm poorer than lower level govt employees and whatever a fresher is.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The description is for India when talking of a Honda Accord. A Honda Accord costs around 70-80k USD in India and a person must earn at least 250-500k USD to afford that much for a single car, especially when it is expected for a family to have 4 cars.

And please get your facts right, Nike's CEO gets 2m USD a year. Havard's President gets 700k USD a year. Only 1 in 10k families in USA earn 5.5m a year and 1 in 10k is supposed to be rich.

The 20th well paid celebrity gets around 8m USD a year, talking of hollywood actors that is. So I guess not more than 50-100 hollywood actors in USA earn over $5.5m a year, even if it is slightly wrong, it won't be over 500 or so.

And I am talking of like 10k families in USA who earn over 5.5m USD a year, which isn't too small, but definitely not big considering USA's population.

And only big business owners have personal incomes worth $5.5m a year, those whose businesses are worth at least a few hundred million dollars, which is just a few thousand in USA.

Nike CEO earned $7.6 million in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Parker
Harvard President earned $700k or $775k in 2008 and is one of the lowest paid Ivy League presidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Gilpin_Faust

There are 400 billionaires in the US (at least): http://www.forbes.com/wealth/forbes-...40_s_arank_-1_

Also you say that only big business owners have personal incomes of $5.5 million a year, but that 50-100 Holywood actors have that salary.

laugh.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those numbers by aaksheytalwar are so hilariously nonsensical for the US. Almost everything he listed as requiring big salaries are absolute staples of middle class life in the US, and are accessible to damn near everyone.

Maybe it makes sense with those brands for India, but dude obviously has no clue how people live in the US. Your average middle-class office drone has two decent cars in the driveway of his house, with closets full of all those mall brands he listed. **** like Ed Hardy is purchased almost exclusively by the people he notes cannot possibly afford it.

lol worthy post, really.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're really doing something wrong financially if you think you have to make $100k/year to have a $6k wardrobe, especially considering most of those purchases will last for years thus considerably lowering the per-year cost.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unsubscribed

this thread sucks.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
unsubscribed

this thread sucks.

Truth.

Needs moar "wealthy vs. middle class mindset" stuff.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This threak contains too many middle class minds.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lauren Hutton: When Revlon offered me a million dollars it was real money. It wasn't lower middle class like it is today.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe the difference is that in american they don't have 10 kids each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads