• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The METROSEXUALS and the rest of us

howbah

Reaction score
... if a style forum member wears a pink sweater in a forest, does that make him look gay? ....

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
... if a style forum member wears a pink sweater in a forest, does that make him look gay? ....

lol

Depends - berry pink or lilac-tinged pink
tounge.gif
?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent unacceptability of homophobia has pushed into the closet, so to speak, discussion of why (in the United States) metrosexuality is controversial and a big reason the average man dresses so poorly: there is tremendous fear of looking gay.

It is not wholly irrational, either.

Heterosexual men are quick to make negative judgments about sexuality, although they aren't very good at them.

Changing roles have increased women's expectations of male sensitivity and male appearance. But there's a lack of evidence that they are now more eager to mate with outwardly feminine men. For some female perspectives, see this article. It appears that, more than anything, modern female aesthetic tastes demand more positive display of the male body, like moderate muscularity. Even unattractive displays like square-toed shoes are preferred, as at least they are quite male.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very easy to generalise, and people here do it all the time, claiming, oh cripes, women want square-toe-wearing men more than sleek bespoke-shod members. I am not familiar with any woman who actually thinks that way, though I am sure I've met some.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
done, i thought it was pretty good.

pip - take some screen shots of the responses, be interesting to see.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Whatever you do, don't ask this question over at AA.

laugh.gif

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Whatever you do, don't ask this question over at AA.

Maybe I should just for kicks.... Trad forum anyone???

pip

Reaction score
thanks for your responses, they're exactly what i was looking for.

a couple of you mentioned that the metrosexual trend happened years ago and the man of the moment is the ubersexual, but i disagree. since the metro came along so many journalists have been tripping over themselves to coin their own terms for a 'new wave of men' that theyve apparently discovered.

i don't mind if people enjoy classifying various types of men as retros or ubers, but i don't think they should so lightly discard the original concept of the metro. if you have a look at the streets, metros remain the dominant species, over and above those invented since. even though its not new anymore, i think the concept of the metrosexual has definitely survived the initial scramble to latch onto the latest fashionable trend, and is now more of a substantial social trend than any of the others.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Metrosexual is the most advanced form of AmJackedness. IMO.

Edit- Guess my answer didn't make the cut
tongue.gif

ted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
Maybe I should just for kicks.... Trad forum anyone???

Russell Street, I mean Miles Away....is that you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads