1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Men's Clothing Noob Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Big Pun, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

JAB has simple squares, included white linen with colored borders, for about $30.

$200 for what? PS? I'll sell you one of mine for half that!

Oh shit! I forgot to add that was my suit budget! [​IMG] I could probably just make my own PS...

2. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Value for money, I suggest upping your suit budget to about $300 and looking into M. Valentino on ebay. He sells great suits for the price (contact him separately from ebay for a deal) and has many happy customers.

3. rioni

rioni Senior member

sticky this already :/

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Where can I get a white linen pocket square? It seems the most versatile.
    Get it from Kent Wang.

Perfect size with hand rolled edges.

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Value for money, I suggest upping your suit budget to about $300 and looking into M. Valentino on ebay. He sells great suits for the price (contact him separately from ebay for a deal) and has many happy customers.

Sorry but I want to be able to try it on in person, i've never even worn a suit before.

sticky this already :/

+1

Get it from Kent Wang.

Perfect size with hand rolled edges.

Thanks, will kop.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

7. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

^^ Sorry, didn't see your thread. And I have to bump this, as I have a few more questions.

What material should my first suit be? I'll be in MN and I want to wear it year-round.

What is a 3/2 roll or something I keep hearing about?

Where can I buy shoe trees cheap?

Thanks in advance.

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Oh yeah, one more question. Is it okay to wear shoes with broguing to an interview or should it be strictly oxford style?

9. John152

John152 Well-Known Member

^^ Sorry, didn't see your thread. And I have to bump this, as I have a few more questions.

What material should my first suit be? I'll be in MN and I want to wear it year-round.

What is a 3/2 roll or something I keep hearing about?

Where can I buy shoe trees cheap?

Thanks in advance.

1) I'll leave this one to someone who knows more about it, but I know the general consensus is that there isn't such a thing as an all season suit. If it's warm enough for winter it'd be too hot for summer and vice versa.

2) 3 roll 2 is a three button suit jacket where the lapel rolls to the second button and the third button isn't meant to be buttoned.

3) Cedarville store link at the top of the page.

10. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

I havn't bought a suit since I was about 8 and need some help. I need a suit to wear in the winter and fall a few times, as cheap as possible. Preferably in charcoal, or navy. What is my best bet? I am pretty small to the point I may fit in a boys suit. I hate how most of them look though, so preferably a mens line that gets small. I am guessing a 34 from H&M is my best bet.

I am thinking something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Same style shirt, navy tie, and then replace the sportcoat and pants for a charcoal suit.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

A forumite specializes in smaller suit sizes at his site: Four in Hand. Other than that, you could consider MTM. If you know your measurements/could get a professional to measure you, there's Thick as Thieves, an MTM operation run by another forumite. There's a lengthy thread about TaT here.

H&M is fine for beaters/casual suits/suits you won't need to wear often, but I wouldn't want to rely on one as a workhorse.

12. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

A forumite specializes in smaller suit sizes at his site: Four in Hand. Other than that, you could consider MTM. If you know your measurements/could get a professional to measure you, there's Thick as Thieves, an MTM operation run by another forumite. There's a lengthy thread about TaT here.

H&M is fine for beaters/casual suits/suits you won't need to wear often, but I wouldn't want to rely on one as a workhorse.

Fourhand and Tat are out of my range, I will probably go to h&m since I won't wear this often. Do they carry a charcoal suit in a fabric heavy enough for winter? Also a friend of mine told me that the pocket on the jacket for the ps is sewed up, is this true?

13. DocHolliday

Fourhand and Tat are out of my range, I will probably go to h&m since I won't wear this often. Do they carry a charcoal suit in a fabric heavy enough for winter? Also a friend of mine told me that the pocket on the jacket for the ps is sewed up, is this true?
    I don't know that much about H&M suits, but I doubt you'll find any in what the forum would consider a winter weight. Their stuff tends to be thin -- one way to keep costs down. But if you have an overcoat and won't need to wear the suit often, you can probably make do. I'd believe that the breast pocket is sewn up, but they often are. When you try one on, gently pull the pocket apart and peek down into it to see if it's finished. Probably just needs to be cut open. You'd probably find more reliable info on H&M's suits over in streetwear. Try doing a search. I know they've been discussed a good bit.

14. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

Alright thanks. One of the reason I need one is because we go to Chicago in January with Model United Nations, but I will just wear a coat over it. The charcoal suit and red gingham shirt won't be considered too spring summery will it?

15. DocHolliday

Alright thanks. One of the reason I need one is because we go to Chicago in January with Model United Nations, but I will just wear a coat over it. The charcoal suit and red gingham shirt won't be considered too spring summery will it?

It's a little summery, yeah, but pair it with a dark tie and you'll be fine.

16. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

Sounds good. Black shoes?

17. mattrut

mattrut New Member

18. Beta

Beta Senior member

FYI about target shirts, their normal cotton fitted shirt in a size L is a 16.5x 34, has double button barell cut across cuffs, and is aggressively fitted at the waist, no pocket. for 20 bucks, im impressed with the one that i bought offline, because it wont require any alterations.

There is a chick on ebay that sells white linen PS, that she sews into a regular tv fold (and other silly styles), and they are like 8 bucks.

19. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Wow people actually use this threak? Good shit.[​IMG]

To the guy above, I've copped a PS at Nordy's for $20. No complaints there.

I'm actually never going to purchase any thing from target ever again honestly though. It's amazing what I've learned clothing wise in 2 months from this site.

20. Flame

Flame Senior member

X-posted from streetwear&denim:

I think this belongs in men's clothing but I can't seem to find the thread for a quick q&a.

So:

I currently own 3 ties- 1 black skinny and 2 wool knits...will be venturing into business attire in about 3 years time after gradution (BA hons in Accounting) and my current university requires suit and tie for presentations, convocations, trade shows, meet the CEOs sessions etc.

So whats a good color/pattern base to start off concerning ties and pocket squares? Seriously I'm clueless about this. I know how to look sartorially good but seriously a junior exec or student intern has no right rocking the purple paisley Brioni necktie or that wool striped BoO skinny knit tie, know what I'm saying? So what is safe, boring, bland and yet stylish?

Solids ties? Plain linen pocket squares?

Pls help. Thanks.