The Men's Clothing Noob Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Big Pun, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own:

If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200)

What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ?

Do shirt pockets matter at all ?

Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ?

Thanks in advance.

2. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

what pocket square fold is most versatile? what colors? how many should a man own?

3. davidsj

davidsj Senior member

I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

LOL.

4. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own: If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference. What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200) What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ? Do shirt pockets matter at all ? Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ? Thanks in advance.
    The standard SF responses, in order: Charcoal or navy solid, some say charcoal is more versatile Black captoe bals. Classic answer is AE park ave, but I would tell you to get a corporate discount card at Jos. A Bank through Borders and order the recently re-released Fifth Ave (punch cap), which will be 279- 15% so just about 240, if you need them in a rush. If not, take your time looking. French cuffs by the "rules" are only for use with a suit and tie, but this rule is broken regularly (I don't see anything wrong with odd jacket + FC + tie, for example). Get barrels for most versatility, esp. for interviews. Shirt pocket is a personal preference, really. Yes.

5. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

what pocket square fold is most versatile? what colors? how many should a man own?

Depends on the material- puffs look kind of silly with anything but silk to me, and by the same token, TV folds look really weird in silk. Get white linen, from there, it's your choice.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Okay, there's no small questions thread here, so maybe other uninformed posters can use this thread for small questions. I have a few of my own:

If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference.

What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200)

What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ?

Thanks in advance.

IMHO

Dark navy blue suit.

Buy both Black and brown shoes and alternate to suit (No pun intended)

French cuffs all the way but this is often according to the occasion.

Shirt pockets get a big NO from me.

Shiny, non-iron shirts look like shiny non-ironed shirts! Don't go there.

Stick with (for me) white, off white, pale blue, darker blue (oxford), and pastel pink shirts.

In all of this shirt colour buy a tie plain blue tie to match the suit.

If you want to add to the look/flexibility then buy a pair of Prince of Wales check trousers. Dressed up or down with the above will get the discerning nodding and others secretly admiring but not knowing why.

7. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Thanks in advance.

1. Charcoal or navy
    2. A+E Park Avenue in black (can be found on sale)
    3. Barrel are somewhat less formal, but this is largely a matter of personal taste;
    4. Many here do not like shirt pockets as a style matter, otherwise, your call;
    5. I am not familiar with Target shirts. If you browse around, you will find fine options discussed on this forum.

8. ysc

ysc Senior member

I have a basic question - would peak lapels with patch pockets be a total sartorial oxymoron?

9. tutee

tutee Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a basic question - would peak lapels with patch pockets be a total sartorial oxymoron?

Firstly, you probably mean SB peak lapel jacket. For example, peak lapels on DB and patch pockets are not a problem in most cases. So its SB version that is at discussion.

there are many many levels of complexity here that can play a role. Shape of the lapels, weight, pattern texture of the fabric, cut of the jacket and all that can make or break the decision. If you really want to know... it can be discussed--- again.

But as a genral rule. NO. avoid SB peak with patch pockets. In fact avoid SB peak on most cases at all out side of a worsted / flannel city suit.

10. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

If i'm going to buy just one suit, what color should it be in ? I want to be able to use it for job interviews and funerals, if possible. I'm pale white, if that makes a difference. Grey notch lapel, side vented, two button suit. What kind of shoes should I get with this suit ? Which color is most versatile ? Something cheap also. (Under $200) Dark brown cap toe oxfords with leather soles What is the formality of barrel cuffs versus french cuffs ? Which one is worn with suit ? Barrel cuffs are most versatile Do shirt pockets matter at all ? No shirt pocket! Is the shiny no-iron shirts I see at target something to avoid ? Anything you find at Target should be avoided Thanks in advance.
    Your welcome

11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Trick question.

In most case the answer is "YES" and should be avoided.

If, however, the jacket carries a tag/label that says "Brunello Cucinelli", then proceed with utmost enthusiasm. And If you won't, there's 100 people who will.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Your welcome

As much as I love brown shoes, I would generally not recommend them for a job interview

13. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

As much as I love brown shoes, I would generally not recommend them for a job interview

I wont hold it against you

14. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

+1. When it comes to flexibility, black is way more flexible. And it is accepted enough that while a black shoes are almost expected, brown shoes may cause some folks to raise their eyebrows (which may not be a good thing at an interview).

15. ThomasMagnumIV

ThomasMagnumIV New Member

Hi, could anyone tell me which colour of the Clarks variety of desert boot would go best with black jeans?