• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mens Braces Thread

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
This post has evolved into a location for general discussion and Q&A about braces, so let's embrace it!
thumbs-up.gif

OP

"What's your opinion on them?

Being 18 and at College where there is no uniform (A levels in UK, not US "College") I am sort of pressured into wearing my swag clothes.

Soon enough, I will be wearing suits all day everyday <3 (I'm talking suitjamas bro srsly)

That being said, I have always find them quite charming and considering buying a pair just to try them out, where would you suggest? (I don't think I could afford Hermes being a student and all, but feel free to throw it in)

Edit: I don't know if anyone watches Boardwalk Empire, but Jimmy looked awesome, no ****."

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go for it. just leave the belt at home.....

jonuiuc

Reaction score
I'm a recent convert., When I started having to wear suits 2-3 times a week regularly, I took a chance and had a suit made with the brace buttons on the trousers. The first wear was a revelation, so comfortable, and the pants drape much better. I intend to have all future suits made with side tabs/brace buttons if possible. Never used the clip ones though.

jc4jax

Reaction score
If you plan on using your braces often, silk braces wear out/fray faster than box cloth braces.
Many prefer Thurston's (U.K) over Trafalgar (U.S),but either one is top quality, my two cents.

johnvw

Reaction score

What's your opinion on them?

Being 18 and at College where there is no uniform (A levels in UK, not US "College") I am sort of pressured into wearing my swag clothes.

Soon enough, I will be wearing suits all day everyday <3 (I'm talking suitjamas bro srsly)

That being said, I have always find them quite charming and considering buying a pair just to try them out, where would you suggest? (I don't think I could afford Hermes being a student and all, but feel free to throw it in)

Edit: I don't know if anyone watches Boardwalk Empire, but Jimmy looked awesome, no ****.

If affordability is a significant factor for you, you may want to check out www.beltoutlet.com. People familiar with the braces available from Thurston probably don't think these compare with them, but the ones from Belt Outlet are good quality and inexpensive. (I own some.)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for braces, It prevents the trouser sticks to your thigh during the hot summer

I brought a few cheap ones in TM Lewin, few from T & A, any of them work

Just ensure all trouser had buttons sewn in and no clip ons

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the UK will be the same as US, but while you're looking for deals on the high end stuff, you can probably find some quite servicable braces in local thrifts. The real point now is to establish the habit (and reputation) of wearing them. I personally consider wearing braces to be one of the best reasons to wear a suit - so much more comfortable than a belt. People will comment the first 2 times they actually notice you wearing them. After that, it is just part of who you are, so wear what you can get affordably now and upgrade them as you have money, opportunity and desire.

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and info guys!

I'll check if any of my current havevthe side buttons and I am amazed I didn't even consider they would be nicer than belts which I kinda hate :')

Maybe i'll check the marketplace here for Thurston ;)

Jorgeezy

Reaction score

Mariooo

Reaction score
yep, those are the correct ones

ideally you would also want to wear trousers without beltloops, and a 3-piece suit :nodding:

Last edited:

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
yep, those are the correct ones
ideally you would also want to wear trousers without beltloops, and a 3-piece suit
nod[1].gif

Looks like I am going to have to get new trousers (or perhaps a 3-piece)... an expensive game this is!

Will probably check on here for some Thurston's every now and then :D

Coburn

Reaction score

If you plan on using your braces often, silk braces wear out/fray faster than box cloth braces.
Many prefer Thurston's (U.K) over Trafalgar (U.S),but either one is top quality, my two cents.

I don't know if the UK will be the same as US, but while you're looking for deals on the high end stuff, you can probably find some quite servicable braces in local thrifts. The real point now is to establish the habit (and reputation) of wearing them. I personally consider wearing braces to be one of the best reasons to wear a suit - so much more comfortable than a belt. People will comment the first 2 times they actually notice you wearing them. After that, it is just part of who you are, so wear what you can get affordably now and upgrade them as you have money, opportunity and desire.

I'm a recent convert., When I started having to wear suits 2-3 times a week regularly, I took a chance and had a suit made with the brace buttons on the trousers. The first wear was a revelation, so comfortable, and the pants drape much better. I intend to have all future suits made with side tabs/brace buttons if possible. Never used the clip ones though.

+1000

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, both points are true.

I'm not sure about others, but I don't see much point in changing braces very often (and I am always afraid too much fiddling is going to ruin the leather). I generally install a pair into a pair of trousers and leave that pair with that suit indefinitely. Last time I bothered changing from one pair to another was wearing my fun Christmas braces just before Christmas. This has the effect (both a benefit and a problem) of meaning that you only need the same number of braces as you have suits. I guess I actually have to change braces a little more often just to get them all in the game. (Or maybe I should just buy more suits!:slayer:)

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I gather that the OP is English?

If so, based on what I have observed over the years, I suggest that his first pair of braces be the type that go on the teeth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads