• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

Buster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
really? so which one of the two are you trolling for?
facepalm.gif

+1 (same question).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newinny
Chicago Booth: Provide a detailed statistical analysis of why Chicago-Booth is #1 in BWeek and never higher than #3 in USNews. Do the math in your head.

Kellogg: Explain why you think good quantitative skills are not required in business and discuss the importance of teamwork in situations in which no one is skilled enough to do the job by himself.

A student of neither but I have worked with people from both and the above ring true.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Question for current/past mba's. Is it better to do an on-campus interview on one of those Super Saturdays or just on some other day? Would only be a 30 minute interview on the super saturday, and I don't want to be one of like a hundred applicants there.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you do both the super saturday and sign up for an interview later?

The problem with not showing up at campus events is that they might ask you later, "so were you able to speak with us during Super Doucheknobb Saturday?" and if you didn't, you have to have a good reason why.

Also, if you are fairly certain that it is purely informational, this is a good time for you to ask questions.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The whole point of the super saturday is to do an interview along with all the campus tour, lunch w/ students, etc... so wouldn't make sense to not do the interview then if I'm gonna go to it. I guess my aversion is I don't want to wait til December for it, and I don't want to be there with a whole bunch of other applicants on that day waiting like cattle to be interviewed one by one. This is for U of M Ross btw.

Milpool

Reaction score
Seriously, do you think it will have an effect on admissions?

I don't.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I thought you were a current MBA getting a job interview. never mind.

Simply, if you are ready for the interview, do it now. If not, do it later. Nobody remembers your face, your interview feedback just goes into a file folder to be assessed later.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeking opinions: If you want to work in, let's say, Hong Kong, do you go to a local school for an MBA or Masters of Finance or do you go to LSE and get a masters of accounting/finance?

What would be better for banking in HK in this ecnomy - local lower tier (MBA or Ms Finance?) or higher tier not local?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Seeking opinions: If you want to work in, let's say, Hong Kong, do you go to a local school for an MBA or Masters of Finance or do you go to LSE and get a masters of accounting/finance? What would be better for banking in HK in this ecnomy - local lower tier (MBA or Ms Finance?) or higher tier not local?
This can be tricky. Really depends on the company, school, and city. I would investigate the companies you'd like to work for and see where they typically hire. This can sometimes be very easy or very hard to find. If information isn't readily available, a little networking can go a long way. Also, schools will oftentimes release info about where their students go. Otherwise a good school is a good school, and a degree from a top 20 international school (from HBS to Insead) will be more or less portable. I personally have seen some companies target very specific schools for all international positions or positions for specific regions (i.e. Insead and LBS only for most European hires) or open it up to all the top schools. Or sometimes go regionally. Also a good way to research this is to see where their interns come from, as in many cases those people end up being the bulk of an incoming class for a typical firm (offers extended after summer employment)

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience in Marketing MBA's?

The rankings for those are fairly divergent from the overall rankings, and the post-MBA income (while good), doesn't seem to compare to the other options.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am going to an MBA for marketing, but from my research, if rankings are your number one criteria, I would say more or less follow the regular rankings. Maybe bump up schools like Kellogg, Ross, and Fuqua a few spots up and Booth, Sloan, and CBS a few down, but I don't think the rankings are really divergent from the overall rankings. And still go to Stanford or HBS regardless of anything else if you get a chance.

And yes the post-MBA incomes suck compared to consulting and finance. It's a lifestyle and career choice and not one to bump your salary if you go into marketing.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MBA marketing jobs can quite commonly be 40-50 hours a week at around 90k

Other typical MBA career paths can easily be 70 hours a week at 130k.

You simply have to choose one

maverick

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks who have heard back. I believe first wave went out 2 weeks ago or so. But doesn't mean you are out of luck. Is rolling and I think there is a regional component also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads