1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The MBA Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Tarmac, Aug 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

To clarify, my comments were specific to emba, not other pt programs (of which I know nothing about).

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I ended up moving into an M&A/BD role at a F500. Debating if doing the CFA still makes sense. Thoughts?

3. Holy Man

Holy Man Well-Known Member

Not needed. I was in Corp Dev and it was never an issue. If it was a very complex transaction, we ended up hiring outside advisors, where a CFA might have been helpful for establishing credibility, but you really don't need all that technical knowledge for M&A modeling purposes.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

not needed for M&A.

In other news, passed Level 1 CFA this past June. Signed up for Level 2.

1 person likes this.
  5. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Yeah I've been told as much. Wondering if it is still prudent long term and worth the money and time.

6. venividivicibj

Depends what you want to do long term.

1 person likes this.
  7. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Good question, but hard to know other than that it will be in finance. Like not in investment management either.

8. venividivicibj

Can't hurt. But that time could also be spent on an MBA or some other post grad also.

9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Already have an MSc, not sure if I want to spend the time and money on an MBA at this point.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Any preferred GMAT study programs?

Any benefit to taking the GRE instead? Looking at entrance into a top part time program, so I'm not really that worried (I think they really just want your money at that point), but I still want to make sure everything works out.

11. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

Normally, I would recommend Manhattan. Unlike most of the other study programs, it pretty much focuses on hard questions so it's best if you are aiming for a high score.

I wouldn't do the GRE, while adcom are used to seeing it, employers care to some extent about your GMAT score (especially if you go to a school that has grade non-disclosure) and are generally less familiar with the GRE.

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I just grabbed a dozen of books from the library - Princeton Review, etc. It worked for me.

13. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

i liked knewton, they have a money back option if you don't score 50 points higher after using it. Im also a visual learner so it worked better for me.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I did Manhattan, really liked it. I did some basic studying from their books before starting the actual course and scored low-600 something on the first practice. By 3/4 of the way through the course I was able to break 700, and on the actual exam I ended up with a 770.

Never ended up going to B-school, left finance to work in Tech instead.