• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:brick:
Clearly SF is not the place to be asking my question

Or you can try and understand why people are saying those things? Like we *may* actually want to help you make the right decision. Shocking, I know. :foo:

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or you can try and understand why people are saying those things? Like we *may* actually want to help you make the right decision. Shocking, I know. :foo:

No, you just didn't read my post. I'm not going into a full time program. Part time evening options are also not going to work, because the commute would kill me. That leaves distance programs, or none at all. And it's better to have the MBA than not at all.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, you just didn't read my post. I'm not going into a full time program. Part time evening options are also not going to work, because the commute would kill me. That leaves distance programs, or none at all. And it's better to have the MBA than not at all.

Nope, I would say it's better not to have it at all, wait for when you can get into an Exec MBA program instead or something.

Online is worthless 99% of the time.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope, I would say it's better not to have it at all, wait for when you can get into an Exec MBA program instead or something.
Online is worthless 99% of the time.

I can get into an Exec MBA program now. I don't want to. You're just not comprehending what's going on here. And online is less valuable if you're focused on a major career change and really need the networking. For someone like me who is getting partially funded by my employer who wants to stay in the same company, the distance learning makes perfect sense.

You also seem to have no clue whatsoever about the two online programs that I'm referring to at Kelley and Kenan-Flagler. At this point there's no use furthering this discussion, as you're clearly trolling.

Last edited:

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can get into an Exec MBA program now. I don't want to. You're just not comprehending what's going on here. And online is less valuable if you're focused on a major career change and really need the networking. For someone like me who is getting partially funded by my employer who wants to stay in the same company, the distance learning makes perfect sense.
You also seem to have no clue whatsoever about the two online programs that I'm referring to at Kelley and Kenan-Flagler. At this point there's no use furthering this discussion, as you're clearly trolling.

You're right, all the time I've spent attending well-ranked programs full-time, participating in recruiting events, sitting in our internal recruiting meetings, interviewing and hiring candidates has clearly taught me nothing about the value of an online MBA from a school that has a decent reputation for its full-time program.

You do realize that people not only rank but also perceive all of the different types of the MBAs differently, right? I think you do. Even a part-time MBA program is hugely different from a full-time MBA program in employer's eyes. And I'm telling you, it's a waste of money even if you plan to stay at your current employer. It's a waste of money FOR your employer and for you.

If one of the guys at my current company came to me and told me that they wanted approval to get an online MBA from one of those schools, I would tell them the same thing. It does very little for their overall education in my eyes. And if you're actually spending your own money in addition to wasting your employer's.. well..

Look, you seem to have made up your mind and you're being pretty defensive without understanding why I'm telling you how it is. If you think that an opinion shared by many, many people involved in corporate recruiting at good firms is "trolling", that's your own ill-informed opinion, not a fact.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're right, all the time I've spent attending well-ranked programs full-time, participating in recruiting events, sitting in our internal recruiting meetings, interviewing and hiring candidates has clearly taught me nothing about the value of an online MBA from a school that has a decent reputation for its full-time program.
You do realize that people not only rank but also perceive all of the different types of the MBAs differently, right? I think you do. Even a part-time MBA program is hugely different from a full-time MBA program in employer's eyes. And I'm telling you, it's a waste of money even if you plan to stay at your current employer. It's a waste of money FOR your employer and for you.
If one of the guys at my current company came to me and told me that they wanted approval to get an online MBA from one of those schools, I would tell them the same thing. It does very little for their overall education in my eyes. And if you're actually spending your own money in addition to wasting your employer's.. well..
Look, you seem to have made up your mind and you're being pretty defensive without understanding why I'm telling you how it is. If you think that an opinion shared by many, many people involved in corporate recruiting at good firms is "trolling", that's your own ill-informed opinion, not a fact.

You are trolling. You know nothing about the two programs, and the post above proves that. You're stuck in stigma of dogmatic practices. Facts are, Indiana Kelley grads who get their MBA online get placed with post grad salaries that are equivalent to their full time counterparts. Look it up.

Secondly, I could give two ***** about what a recruiter thinks, because I'm not looking to get recruited. I'm *gasp* actually attempting to learn something through my MBA studies, and don't care whatsoever about networking. If you actually pulled your head out of the sand and did some real investigating, you'd learn that typically, over 60% of the work you do in the online programs at Kelley or KF is with a team. At UNC KF, you have mandatory 1.5 hour live sessions with your class and instructor EVERY week. You seem amazed at this whole "online" thing but trust me, your the typical guy who probably hasn't embraced virtual business at all. This is 2012. E Learning will only get bigger and more innovative.

So get over yourself.

And yah I've made my decision. It's to never return here to this thread again because it's of ZERO help.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You are trolling. You know nothing about the two programs, and the post above proves that. You're stuck in stigma of dogmatic practices. Facts are, Indiana Kelley grads who get their MBA online get placed with post grad salaries that are equivalent to their full time counterparts. Look it up.
Secondly, I could give two ***** about what a recruiter thinks, because I'm not looking to get recruited. I'm *gasp* actually attempting to learn something through my MBA studies, and don't care whatsoever about networking. If you actually pulled your head out of the sand and did some real investigating, you'd learn that typically, over 60% of the work you do in the online programs at Kelley or KF is with a team. At UNC KF, you have mandatory 1.5 hour live sessions with your class and instructor EVERY week. You seem amazed at this whole "online" thing but trust me, your the typical guy who probably hasn't embraced virtual business at all. This is 2012. E Learning will only get bigger and more innovative.
So get over yourself.
And yah I've made my decision. It's to never return here to this thread again because it's of ZERO help.
Furo knows what he's talking about. Kelley Direct has an exceptional placement rate for those looking to switch or advance careers. Both Kelley and KF have face-to-face (IRL) opportunities built into their programs. Both programs are stellar with their own full-time faculty teaching, not folks contracted from who-knows-where. Of all the online MBA programs available, Kelley and KF are the only two I'd recommend as they are both highly regarded in both the academic and business communities.

Furo, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck!!!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not saying that those programs are the same as diploma mills. Perhaps they are even really really good compared to other online MBAs offered by decent schools. But I absolutely stand by my stated opinion that it's not the way to go even for your purposes. I'm genuinely trying to help, but at the end it's not my decision, right?

It's your time and your money. Have fun. Best of luck.

newinny

Reaction score
Two months left in my program :) then travel :slayer: then back to work :brick:

Job offers seem to be picking up for b-school grads over last year. Strong shift from finance / consulting towards tech and start-ups.

Outside of the rare VC/PE position, baller jobs this year were considered PM roles at Google, Facebook, etc.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two months left in my program :) then travel :slayer: then back to work :brick:
Job offers seem to be picking up for b-school grads over last year. Strong shift from finance / consulting towards tech and start-ups.
Outside of the rare VC/PE position, baller jobs this year were considered PM roles at Google, Facebook, etc.

Awesome. Did you score a gig already?

Tech is fun, I wish I would have discovered it earlier and wasted less time in finance.

newinny

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm heading back to finance but at a better bank.

Tech is fun (I was an engineering undergrad) but it has a bit of a "bubble feel". People are flocking to tech jobs because it seems the cool thing to do.

Problem is that some of these companies don't put much stock in an MBA. I've heard Google/LinkedIn/Amazon are pro-mba but it's tough to get anywhere in companies like Facebook/Zynga if you're not an engineer.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! I'm heading back to finance but at a better bank.
Tech is fun (I was an engineering undergrad) but it has a bit of a "bubble feel". People are flocking to tech jobs because it seems the cool thing to do.
Problem is that some of these companies don't put much stock in an MBA. I've heard Google/LinkedIn/Amazon are pro-mba but it's tough to get anywhere in companies like Facebook/Zynga if you're not an engineer.

That's not true. But you have to be able to speak the language and not look like an idiot when it comes to technical issues. Otherwise all of those companies really need smart people on the commercial side where the engineers have no clue. However, there are many engineers with MBAs who are able to do both.

newinny

Reaction score
From an MBA internship recruiting recruiting & internship to full-time conversion perspective at my school, it is true.

VassarSellOut

Reaction score
So get over yourself.

Then you are an idiot. The only value of an MBA is rebranding and networking, particularly at top programs. Period.
y u mad, breh?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads