• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
I've read about this but to any members who hold an MBA, what is your yearly income?
What skills do you gain right out of college?

I think the most useful skill I learned was autofellatio

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read about this but to any members who hold an MBA, what is your yearly income?

Back in 2005, which is when I graduated, the base pay post-MBA usually ranged between 85k on the lower end (standard industry jobs) and 120k on the higher end (professional services firms) . There are obviously outliers that do not fall in the range. The bonus on top of the base could range anywhere from 10% on the lower end to 100% on the higher end.

Not sure what the current post-MBA income range is.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's too generic of a question.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
Back in 2005, which is when I graduated, the base pay post-MBA usually ranged between 85k on the lower end (standard industry jobs) and 120k on the higher end
What specialization?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Almost every school has some sort of career report on their site with salaries/bonuses broken down by function and industry. Why is this a question?

The 85k-120k seems about right.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
What specialization?
That range is basically across all majors / specializations. Just for example, to illustrate the range... 1. A marketing job at a General Mills, Pepsi, Genentech, etc type of standard "industry job" will likely be at the lower end of the range (both wrt base and bonus). Same for typical finance jobs in these type of companies. 2. An associate on Wall Street in Investment Banking, Asset Management, PE, HF, etc will like get a base pay in the middle of the range, however the bonus will be at the high end of the bonus range (needless to state, that's also dependent on how the economy is doing and performance at job). 3. Consulting companies, will usually offer a base pay at the high end of the range (close to $120k). Bonus in your 1st yr as an associate at these companies could generally range between 10% - 30%. Depends on how you perform.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Specifically? because you want to go there in order to legitimize your support for their sports team. $200,000.00 for that? stupid.
While yes it is one of the reasons, it is not the main reason and I never stated that; it is merely the cherry on top. I have lots of personal connections to the institution, but the fact that it is a top 15 program with an awesome HSM concentration are my major reasons, along with my wanting of staying in NC close to the medical field in Durham and Research Triangle Park. For me, degree>HSM>location>pride for university. My love for the school is not my academic reasoning per say, it is the "perfect combo" that makes me choose to go there over Wharton or HBS (assuming I could get in all three anyway). And lets just say that my college basketball hobby is my sole reason to go there. 200k is not a waste of money at that school, right? It would be a different argument if I wanted to go to Xavier just because of college sports, as they have an unrecognizable business school. That would be stupid. But Duke Fuqua is a known school with a great health concentration. BUT....I am still learning and researching. I may change my opinion, find a better option, or not even go to B-school in the end. I've got at least 5 years to think about this.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much hate from MBAs in the media right now. Hate that existed before the recession too.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
While yes it is one of the reasons, it is not the main reason and I never stated that; it is merely the cherry on top. I have lots of personal connections to the institution, but the fact that it is a top 15 program with an awesome HSM concentration are my major reasons, along with my wanting of staying in NC close to the medical field in Durham and Research Triangle Park. For me, degree>HSM>location>pride for university. My love for the school is not my academic reasoning per say, it is the "perfect combo" that makes me choose to go there over Wharton or HBS (assuming I could get in all three anyway).

And lets just say that my college basketball hobby is my sole reason to go there. 200k is not a waste of money at that school, right? It would be a different argument if I wanted to go to Xavier just because of college sports, as they have an unrecognizable business school. That would be stupid. But Duke Fuqua is a known school with a great health concentration.

BUT....I am still learning and researching. I may change my opinion, find a better option, or not even go to B-school in the end. I've got at least 5 years to think about this.

I don't know what your scores and experience is, but even w/ the location + health management focus, I would look at better schools in addition to Fuqua. First off, I think you need to look at many more aspects besides just location and availability of your area of interest. Second, Fuqua is really a 3rd rate school. Maybe that's where you belong based on your scores/experience, but you want to be connected to the best people, and you'll get better connections at better schools.

If you are dead set on healthcare management, you should at least look at Wharton and/or CBS as well. Fuqua is a good school and one I'm considering as well, but don't aim low based on fairly superficial criteria.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
I don't know what your scores and experience is, but even w/ the location + health management focus, I would look at better schools in addition to Fuqua. First off, I think you need to look at many more aspects besides just location and availability of your area of interest. Second, Fuqua is really a 3rd rate school. Maybe that's where you belong based on your scores/experience, but you want to be connected to the best people, and you'll get better connections at better schools.

If you are dead set on healthcare management, you should at least look at Wharton and/or CBS as well. Fuqua is a good school and one I'm considering as well, but don't aim low based on fairly superficial criteria.

I understand, and thank you for your constructive input. I do not have any scores as I won't take the GMAT until much later (5 years from now or so) and by then I will have looked into it more and have done my research. I admit, as I have throughout my posts, that I am wide-eyed and fresh to this and am just learning about the crazy world of B school and appreciate any helpful feedback. I didn't realize that Fuqua is a 3rd rate school as you put it (and why is that out of curiosity, even though it is in the top 15-top10?) and the first I've heard of the school in that context, and if so then I'll definitely look at better ranked schools.

But in all honesty, this is very theoretical for me. We'll see if I am even competitive enough to get into a top 20 B school when its all said and done.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
3rd rate school as you put it (and why is that out of curiosity, even though it is in the top 15-top10?)
3rd rate != tier 3. 3rd rate just means for the money you're spending there, if you can get in somewhere else, you'd probably have better networking/resources.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
3rd rate != tier 3. 3rd rate just means for the money you're spending there, if you can get in somewhere else, you'd probably have better networking/resources.

Not sure what this even means. The money you spend at schools is highly subjective and dependent on the school, and not just what their posted tuition is on their website. For example, Tuck and Wharton are both around 50k in tuition, but Wharton is pretty stingy with scholarships and fellows from what I've heard whereas almost everyone at Tuck gets some sort of money to help with tuition.

I meant 3rd rate because I would say H/S/W is on their own plane, maybe just H/S, then you have the next tier of top schools like Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Sloan, CBS, and then schools like Stern, Haas, Ross, Fuqua below them. Of course, that doesn't mean much to a single, given individual, just general consensus and scores/gpa/experience of the students as a whole.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure what this even means. The money you spend at schools is highly subjective and dependent on the school, and not just what their posted tuition is on their website. For example, Tuck and Wharton are both around 50k in tuition, but Wharton is pretty stingy with scholarships and fellows from what I've heard whereas almost everyone at Tuck gets some sort of money to help with tuition.

I meant 3rd rate because I would say H/S/W is on their own plane, maybe just H/S, then you have the next tier of top schools like Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Sloan, CBS, and then schools like Stern, Haas, Ross, Fuqua below them. Of course, that doesn't mean much to a single, given individual, just general consensus and scores/gpa/experience of the students as a whole.

Putting kellogg and booth in the same sentence is probably a legitimate grammatical error and should be picked up by auto-correct.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Putting kellogg and booth in the same sentence is probably a legitimate grammatical error and should be picked up by auto-correct.

really? so which one of the two are you trolling for?
facepalm.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You said the same thing I did, just more elaborately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads