The Martini

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kas, May 31, 2007.

1. ama

ama Senior member

David went behind the bar and found glasses and some ice and made two martinis.
    "It tastes good, but terribly strong," the girl said.
    "They are strong," David said. "But there's a strong wind today and we drink according to the wind."

Hemingway

You just dug up a three year old thread to post a Hemingway quote? [​IMG]

As long as we are on the topic, I prefer mine with vodka, stirred, light on vermouth and garnished with lime.

2. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

One of my pet peeves is the way restaurants insist on serving martinis in humongous glasses and fill them all the way to the top. I always spill some and they also don't taste the same as ones served in normal portions in normal sized glasses.

The smaller glasses of the past are what made the 3 martini lunch possible.

3. Fobulush

Fobulush Active Member

The martini is my drink of choice now, though my friends frequently rag on me for ordering one at bars. I need classier friends, I suppose.

I prefer gin with an olive. No real preference no shaken or stirred. My order of preference (favorite to least) is Hendrick's, Tanqueray, Plymouth, Bombay. I don't recall what Beefeater tastes like, but I suspect it falls somewhere between the Tanqueray and Plymouth.

4. btlaxripper

btlaxripper Senior member

WESOME THREAD

Here is how I make my martinis:

-Fill martini glass with ice water
    -Belvedere vodka, ice cubes in shaker
    shake until the shaker is heavily frosted over and it almost freezes your hand to it
    -Pour out ice water from the glass
    -Add a tablespoon (estimating of course) of vermouth, and swirl around to coat glass, then pour out
    -Strain the vodka into the glass
    -Add a tablespoon of olive juice (leave it out if you don't like it dirty, depends on my mood)
    -2 olives (1 or none depending on mood as above, usually if it isn't dirty, I don't use olives)
    -drink and enjoy... tastes like cold water with a slight alcohol taste, and salty aftertaste if dirty

I think I know what I'm drinking tonight

And yes I agree that a traditional martini is gin, stirred as to not bruise the gin

And the olive juice is always added AFTER stirring or shaking, that is just a fact. Failure to do so coalesces the juice and liquor and they do not come out of suspension which is not what you want.

5. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

^ That's olive-juice flavoured vodka, not a Martini. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

6. borderline

borderline Senior member

Yes. (a) It's better than starting a new Martini thread, (b) it's a great quote; and (c) the thread needed resurrection. It's always martini season. [​IMG]

7. borderline

borderline Senior member

The martini is my drink of choice now, though my friends frequently rag on me for ordering one at bars. I need classier friends, I suppose.

I prefer gin with an olive. No real preference no shaken or stirred. My order of preference (favorite to least) is Hendrick's, Tanqueray, Plymouth, Bombay. I don't recall what Beefeater tastes like, but I suspect it falls somewhere between the Tanqueray and Plymouth.

I have found at most normal bars they have Tanqueray, Sapphire, and Beefeater. Usually of these I'll order the Tanq, but prefer Plymouth and Junipero if they are available. I used to like Sapphire, but no longer think it is interesting enough on it's own. Tanqueray 10 is good too.

8. Fobulush

Fobulush Active Member

I have found at most normal bars they have Tanqueray, Sapphire, and Beefeater. Usually of these I'll order the Tanq, but prefer Plymouth and Junipero if they are available. I used to like Sapphire, but no longer think it is interesting enough on it's own. Tanqueray 10 is good too.
    I had Junipero about 2 weeks ago and didn't really care for it. It was probably the most botanical gin (even more than Sapphire) I've ever had, but it didn't have a smooth finish. The last time I was in Vegas, the clubs were trying to push Right gin. Terrible stuff. Avoid it if you can.

9. borderline

borderline Senior member

I had Junipero about 2 weeks ago and didn't really care for it. It was probably the most botanical gin (even more than Sapphire) I've ever had, but it didn't have a smooth finish.

The last time I was in Vegas, the clubs were trying to push Right gin. Terrible stuff. Avoid it if you can.

I like Junipero. Far less flowery than Hendricks. And you get the bonus of 98.6 proof.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I like Hendricks for my Aviations or Martinez, Junipero in G&T or Martini.

11. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

As long as we are on the topic, I prefer mine with vodka, stirred, light on vermouth and garnished with lime.

Perfectly justified, that's an excellent quote.

12. why

why Senior member

Perfectly justified, that's an excellent quote.

[​IMG]

13. Korben

Korben Senior member

My martini - Stoli or Chopin vodka stirred over ice poured in a glass with a lemon twist ran across the rim. Keep the vermouth across the room for me.

14. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

My martini - Stoli or Chopin vodka stirred over ice poured in a glass with a lemon twist ran across the rim. Keep the vermouth across the room for me.
    That's just Vodka. Why would you call it a Martini? [​IMG]

For me it's 1 part Noilly Prat with 4 or 5 parts Bombay Sapphire. 2 or 3 olives.

15. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

The whole "Martini without vermouth" thing seems to be a ruse older drinkers employed to avoid looking like a drunk -- who else drinks straight gin or vodka, right (raises hand)? Vary the proportions of gin/vodka to vermouth to taste, but no vermouth makes it a really big (and more expensive) shot.