• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The manliest Top of them all

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Styleforum in 2021: Can I wear this bear pelt to the local dive-bar? Or should I just go with wolf like all my friends?

Also Styleforum: Why did my girlfriend run away crying? And what does 'get away, you freak!' really mean?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread should be in the SWD section. So please keep it right where it is.

michael1121

Reaction score
This is actually something I've been looking into recently. I definitely agree that muscles play a big role, but it's worth considering the tank top itself.

The best I've found so far is by Tom Ford- it's in a noticeable rib knit which keeps it from looking like you're wearing a women's tank. Tank tops without the rib knit (Sunspel, other CM brands) are often in the uncanny valley between a t-shirt and a tighter rib knit, and the lack of shape doesn't flatter any body type. The collar and the "shoulders" are probably the next most important aspect in my opinion- a high or narrow neckline looks a bit afraid, which is why I prefer the scoop of the Tom Ford. Too thick on the shoulder straps and you look like you're wearing weird suspenders; too thin and you're back in women's territory.

I avoid white and its wife-beater connotations though. Rather difficult to find ribbed tank tops of reasonable quality rather than screen-printing material or drop shipped stuff with gym logos.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually something I've been looking into recently. I definitely agree that muscles play a big role, but it's worth considering the tank top itself.

The best I've found so far is by Tom Ford- it's in a noticeable rib knit which keeps it from looking like you're wearing a women's tank. Tank tops without the rib knit (Sunspel, other CM brands) are often in the uncanny valley between a t-shirt and a tighter rib knit, and the lack of shape doesn't flatter any body type. The collar and the "shoulders" are probably the next most important aspect in my opinion- a high or narrow neckline looks a bit afraid, which is why I prefer the scoop of the Tom Ford. Too thick on the shoulder straps and you look like you're wearing weird suspenders; too thin and you're back in women's territory.

I avoid white and its wife-beater connotations though. Rather difficult to find ribbed tank tops of reasonable quality rather than screen-printing material or drop shipped stuff with gym logos.
This is interesting. The Tom Ford looks nice. I usually am wary of rib knit since I do wear white ones and don’t want it to look like Hanes (unless I’m wearing Hanes which I have been while searching for nicer ones)

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
it's in a noticeable rib knit which keeps it from looking like you're wearing a women's tank.
I'm with you on the ribbed aspect, as companies usually don't make them thick enough otherwise. Can't be worn underneath an open shirt if it's seethrough.

The collar and the "shoulders" are probably the next most important aspect in my opinion- a high or narrow neckline looks a bit afraid...
Agreed, the posted pictures try to illustrate this.

Rather difficult to find ribbed tank tops of reasonable quality rather than screen-printing material or drop shipped stuff with gym logos.
It is. Which is why I wanted to gather some resourced minds. Someone must surely have found something wearable.

Sam H

Reaction score
Every example photo is just a muscular and attractive guy who is showing a lot of arm; the tank top seems incidental. That’s what tank tops are good for, it’s fun to get in shape and wear one in an extremely casual environment, but I’d never worry too much about quality. I had some Guess ones that looked cool, some Abercrombie or Hollister one, some random beach store one, you can get an idea of my age at the time of purchase and the “look” goal I had in mind from the brands I’m listing. Many of them are now just shredded from excessive loungewear use in my apartment at this point.

It’s going to be hard to wear any out because a lot of doors still have zero tolerance for men with exposed arms.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.