• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Making of a Coat" with Rory Duffy (VIDEOS)

Montauk

Reaction score
Earlier this year, I announced the production of a new series of web videos featuring the step-by-step making of a sportcoat by Rory Duffy--a NYC-based master tailor who in 2009 won the Golden Shears Award in London while an apprentice at Henry Poole & Co on Savile Row. I’d met Duffy last December at a Christmas party, where we immediately bonded over our shared interest in tailoring, and our common vision of producing a web series which would convey in detail the hows and whys of Savile Row bespoke techniques and traditions. We realized we were in a perfect position to assist each other; Rory had found a means to demonstrate his expertise before a growing demographic of online bespoke enthusiasts (and potential clients), and I had found a worthy subject through which to further establish myself as a sartorially-savvy filmmaker (I have previously produced videos for A Suitable Wardrobe and Put This On.) We're pleased to announce that the series--”The Making of a Coat”--will be premiered on A Suitable Wardrobe later this month (as soon as Will returns from his Mediterranean holiday), but since we know that some folks have been patiently waiting here since the spring, we’re giving Styleforum a sneak preview of a couple episodes. We hope you will find something fresh and interesting in these videos, and especially as this is an ongoing series, we welcome your feedback. AY
The Making of a Coat #1 - Introduction from Andrew Yamato on Vimeo.
The Making of a Coat #11 - Padding The Chest from Andrew Yamato on Vimeo.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO] [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moar.....

fassbinder

Reaction score
As a bit of a critic in your other post (though hardly the worst of the bunch), I must say that this is really great work, much appreciated. Can't wait for the rest.

Last edited:

BAO1

Reaction score
Great capture of Rory's skill and passion. I'd never seen him sew but you can see the muscle memory at work. Just makes it harder to wait for my next fittings!

Bring on the rest!

mactire

Reaction score
Great bit of insight and a valuable record of how and why this tailor works, there is very little video of tailoring out there.

chinesealpha

Reaction score
Montauk, these videos are amazing. I can't wait to see the rest.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are terrific videos indeed.

That fabric did Rory say he used for his jackets?

Montauk

Reaction score
Thanks for kind words from everyone. These videos are a pleasure to make, and I'm glad they're finding an enthusiastic audience here.

Not sure what you're asking, JubeiSpeigel. The cloth for my jacket in the videos is an 11oz 100% wool flannel from Ariston Napoli. It's lined in a heavyweight ermazine twill comissioned by the RAF to line their service uniforms.

Like any bespoke tailor, of course, Rory has dozens of books to choose from.

AY

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what you're asking, JubeiSpeigel. The cloth for my jacket in the videos is an 11oz 100% wool flannel from Ariston Napoli. It's lined in a heavyweight ermazine twill comissioned by the RAF to line their service uniforms.

I mean the lining. Rory mentions for heavy coats he likes using a tweed lining, but for his normal jackets he uses a silk like lining, i could not make out the material he mentions it is. That was my question...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads