• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Magic Castle in Hollywood

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
http://www.magiccastle.com/about/index.cfm

This is one of my favorite clubs to visit when I am passing thru Los Angeles. It is a private club. Any StyleForum members that would like a member's pass to get it in are welcome to PM me.

There is a dress code, and figure about $100 for dinner/drinks. The shows are great, and women just love to go here on a date.

Cheers,

M8

kudos

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you wear your wizard hat while you fend off ghouls with your magical wand?

stach

Reaction score
Magic Castle is a great deal of fun to visit. I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to have hotel rooms that were quite reasonable.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kudos
Do you wear your wizard hat while you fend off ghouls with your magical wand?

If you are interested in the dress code, you may check the website.

However, since you have decided to be a smart-ass, in your case the offer is retracted.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Magic Castle is a great deal of fun to visit. I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to have hotel rooms that were quite reasonable.

It's still enjoyable entertainment. I have used the membership to entertain some of my clients there. The hotel that is next door is an independent operation. It is an okay hotel, but quite frankly not my style.

M8

raley

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what this is? Is it a place where you sit down to dinner and watch a magic show (is this like David Copperfield style magic?) then hang out like a bar afterwards?

Why is it 21 and up?

It seems nice but just very confusing to me. I've never really seen anything like it before.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
I'm curious as to what this is? Is it a place where you sit down to dinner and watch a magic show (is this like David Copperfield style magic?) then hang out like a bar afterwards?

Why is it 21 and up?

It seems nice but just very confusing to me. I've never really seen anything like it before.

The website should have answered your questions. You are in Houston, so think Magic Island. It's right across the street from Greenway Plaza.

21 is the age limit because it is for adults, and alcohol is served.

M8

howbah

Reaction score
very entertaining, the performers are the best in their field (new ones every week or so), not Copperfield stuff (not enough room for suddenly appearing lear jets), 21+ due to liquor license regs.

interesting to see some of the reactions here, maybe the name is a bit off-putting? (it's in one of those old rambling Charles Addams type houses), but they've been around for quite a while (40+ years, you don't stay in the entertainment biz in that area that long unless you know what you're doing).

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
very entertaining, the performers are the best in their field (new ones every week or so), not Copperfield stuff (not enough room for suddenly appearing lear jets), 21+ due to liquor license regs.

Almost all magicians get trained here. The place is full of celebrity sightings also, as many are members just for the social aspects. It's a good place. Unfortunately I don't get to L.A. as often for business now as I usedto, but I do maintain the membership. Hell, it's a tax deduction.

M8

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I've not been lucky enough yet to visit the Magic Castle, but it has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I've been performing as a magician since fourth grade (and doing it as a hobby since I was four) and I guess that along with Las Vegas, it's the conjurer's Mecca.

I have a friend that is/was a member and also performed there a good bit as part of their young magicians program. I'm hoping to go to the Castle for dinner in the next couple of years, hopefully with my friend.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
"I put on my robe and wizard hat..."

"...and I LEVITATED ON DOWN THE HALL!"

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M8,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INVITE! My GF's been wanting to go forever, it'll make a very nice surprise.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
M8,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INVITE! My GF's been wanting to go forever, it'll make a very nice surprise.

Enjoy your visit. You caught me just before I head overseas. My flight leaves in the morning, and I will be off the boards for 4-6 weeks. Just some notes for an enjoyable evening:

1. Make your reservations for an early dinner sitting.
2. Plan for traffic. The congestion around Franklin and Highland, and anywhere else in Hollywood on a Friday or Saturday night will be tough, especially if there is a major event going on at the Hollywood Bowl. Your best bet is to approach the castle on Franklin, well East or West of it so that you don't have to turn left off of Higland.
3. Dress code. Coat & tie for men. You will be turned away if you do not meet the dress code. Ladies, dress to impress. Little black dresses do very well there.
4. After dinner do the main show, your waiter will keep you abreast of the time. You don't want to be last in line, or you may not be able to sit with your date.
5. After the main show there are four different parlors where you can view close-up magic acts. I find this type of magic to be much more entertaining than the stage magic. All of the magicians work comedy into their acts. It's hilarious.
6. There are several bars in the castle for socializing, so feel free to mingle with others. The place has a lot of celebrity members, so if you see one, feel free to introduce yourself.
7. Feel free to introduce yourself to the staff, and tell them I sent you.

Women love this place because it makes them laugh, and they get a chance to dress up. I guarantee a "panty-dropping" date for anyone who takes a lady there on a date. Which is always a nice way to close out an evening, eh?
laugh.gif

M8

phuphyter

Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time lurker... first post. This is an old thread. I know, but is there any chance that anyone has a guest pass for the magic castle? M8?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads