1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Madras Shirt thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Dec 26, 2009.

1. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^Yes, I was Nalli, and asked them if they had any madras fabric. They looked at me like I was from the moon.

At the same handicrafts shop I found the madras they also had some locally done wool fabric that was like a wool version of madras. I'll see if I can track down their card and give you the name.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

^Yes, I was Nalli, and asked them if they had any madras fabric. They looked at me like I was from the moon.

At the same handicrafts shop I found the madras they also had some locally done wool fabric that was like a wool version of madras. I'll see if I can track down their card and give you the name.

cool, please. I was actually thinking of getting 5 wool shirts made of handspun cloth and 5 cotton ones, to be my summer and winter casual shirts.

there are these little stores that sell pieces of handspun cloth that the people in the south use as wraps, those are, essentially, madras pieces of cloth. they don't call it madras, though.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

AlanC-I rememer that brand of madras shirt vividly. They sold them at traditional men's clothing stores in the 70's and early 80's next to Sero brand OCBD and English rep ties. I had several in various colors. There was something light and comfortable about that original "slubby" madras cloth that you don't find today. Great colors too!

4. Dodo

Dodo Senior member

Where do They sell slim fit summer madras shirt in europe? on ebay i find only ugly and vintage old style shirts!!

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

I'm not sure if it has been posted already but JCrew has several madras shirts season. Some are available in slim and tall sizes.

7. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

^Buying madras in India is not as easy as you'd think. I've mainly looked for madras fabric, and after quite a bit of searching (in BIG fabric shops) I found some in a shop in Chennai that sells hand made goods.

Haha, this is kinda what happened to my friend. He asked about it and they said, "Madras is a state..."

lol oh well. I'll just get some madras from brooks brothers made in india by textile factory workers and call it a day.

8. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I'm not sure if it has been posted already but JCrew has several madras shirts season. Some are available in slim and tall sizes.
    Their plaids leave a bit to be desired this season, in my opinion. Brooks Brothers has some good options as well right now. Personally, I prefer exploded patterns to small, repeating patterns. Madras

9. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

Gant has some nice slim fit Madras shirts

10. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  12. 89826

89826 Senior member

Let's get this thread going again.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

14. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Senior member

Me in my BB Madras that I picked up last year.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

The question is where to get the real Indian madras these days. None of that ersatz stuff.

16. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I bought a Gant shirt from Barney's last summer. It was the real deal and wasn't that expensive. So nice to wear when it gets into triple digits here in the South.

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

A colleague of mine does research in India, and says real deal bleeding madras is still being made in some of the cities. I've been meaning to proxy some shirtings from him, but haven't had the chance.

18. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Group buy:) I just picked up a new madras shirt from O'Connells. I'll have to see about taking a photo to post.

19. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

I used to own a few Alexander Julian madras shirts. I wished I had kept them. They had beautiful colors. Anyway, sources: I figure these are not bleeding but rather coagulated. Land's End, Taylor Stitch, and Dann Online (big variety).