• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a white summer weight shirt for a wedding at the end of June. I’m a groomsman and it’s blue suits (no tux) with no ties (I don’t like it either). I live in Westchester County NY, about 30 minutes from Manhattan.

Should I just send a shirt I like into Proper Cloth or Ratio to duplicate? Anyone else that doesn’t have a multi-shirt minimum?

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I need a white summer weight shirt for a wedding at the end of June. I’m a groomsman and it’s blue suits (no tux) with no ties (I don’t like it either). I live in Westchester County NY, about 30 minutes from Manhattan.

Should I just send a shirt I like into Proper Cloth or Ratio to duplicate? Anyone else that doesn’t have a multi-shirt minimum?

Suitsupply is another option without minimums. You could get measured in person and I believe their MTM shirts start at $99 now.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe Spier & Mackay custom? They have some lightweight twills.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Spier & Mackay custom? They have some lightweight twills.
S&m has become my goto custom shirt maker. It took me a few iterations to get the fit down and the fabric selection is a bit thin but overall the best the price / value I’ve found. I always upgrade the buttons which is worth the $.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Unless you are a tough fit, I'd probably just go with tried and true CT shirts. For solid whites, you have multiple fits, weights, and weaves. Their poplin option wrinkles quite easily but it is cool and breezy for summer. $40 a pop, no more of their old multibuy gimmick, and they have stores in NYC so you can visit and find your fit. I wouldn't bother with MTM unless you're a tough fit, given the slight time crunch.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Just received my latest MTM suit. Really happy with this one. Excuse the creases, it came delivered in a box and my home-pressing was a bit poorly done, especially on the back.

I'll shorten the cuffs 1cm or so before i have them finished, and also lengthen the trousers by similar. At first I thought the breast pocket placement was a little low, but it's really growing on me. Also, Yukio Akamine tends to have them around that position with a similar gorge height, which is certainly a strong enough endorsement for me.

Fabric is a dark green wool/silk/linen from Loro Piana. Very light, but definitely feels like it will perform beyond what it should at that weight.
1624013721056.png

1624013499965.png

induere_to

Reaction score
Honestly almost forgot this thread existed. Just in time, though. Received this in the mail a couple days ago:

This was made under a 90% handmade full canvas option with the WM Brown Negroni Air from Fox Brothers.

No pictures of the fit yet.

DF490F35-2E4B-47CF-ACA8-87452C989B25.jpeg

0A5B18DB-2DDC-4B18-AC7F-AA98EED9785C.jpeg

7D4BB1B6-447D-410E-9EE3-35DC91D87BFD.jpeg

80180904-834A-40F1-A8C8-3A46A8BEB013.jpeg

C4CE44F5-DD96-4209-B3DE-2F235F86A8B9.jpeg

Camerashy

Reaction score
Same here! I went to Tribeca, haven't had the chance to visit Westbury yet as most of my friends live in lower Manhattan.

I actually sourced the fabric myself for CMT and had some family ship it over. Its the same one used in the Vox pic and the same one in this Steed pic, its from Callum MacLean at Butt of Lewis textiles, he's Independent Harris Tweed producer

do you know the cloth reference number please or any more helpful info
Thanks

DJCon93

Reaction score
Is there a source you'd recommend for MTM program reviews? The options can be overwhelming and wanted to compare some of the higher-tiered labels. Thanks in advance for your help!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a source you'd recommend for MTM program reviews? The options can be overwhelming and wanted to compare some of the higher-tiered labels. Thanks in advance for your help!
You might already know this, but Simon Crompton of Permanent Style has reviewed a number of well-known MTM programs.

PS is a good resource.

It might help to know what "higher-tiered labels" you are interested in.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the finest block patterns ever created. Tony Farelli, one of Ralph Lauren’s original pattern makers and a great teacher of mine ,made them for me. I do also use The Mitchell System. Of all of the great tailors I appreciated under, only Henry Stewart drafted patterns. Raphael, Toninno Christoforo, the Cesta Brothers all cut from blocks. Toninno Christoforo, the unparalleled genius of tailors, loved my block patterns and of course I let him use them. All of my trousers are made from Farelli blocks, as are some of my vests. A well balanced, high armhole block pattern is ever bit as good as an expertly drafted pattern- in the right hands. The Farelli pattern has a certain look as does the Mitchell. The top jacket is Farelli the bottom is Mitchell View attachment 1477057 View attachment 1477064
Very nice. Where is your shop, if I might ask? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to do that on the forum.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads