• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with a DB MTM commission?

I've done two using Enzo Custom (one of the forum sponsors). Now I was not a first time customer and they did have my dialed-in template on file, but I was still a bit nervous that a DB meant a few more moving parts that could go wrong, and we wouldn't know until all was said and done if for example the button stance was off. It worked out well enough in both cases, fit-wise. One was a very conventional 6x2 and the other was a slightly more rakish 6x1. Stylistically, there was a glitch with the first one where the front quarters came with rounded corners instead of square. That was bizarre, and required a remake but other than that was fine. For the 6x1, I was hoping for a poor-man's-Cifonelli vibe but the button position ended up a bit too high for that. It's still a pretty cool, proper 6x1, not the boxy garbage from 1980s Wall Street, but did highlight a limitation of MTM vs bespoke.

Enzo has a Philly showroom if that works for you; they're doing Zoom chats now too so it would be no trouble at all for you to log in and talk with one of their fitters (Arthur Silber at the Philly office really knows his stuff and is quite experienced with their patterns and templates) about what you have in mind.

syje

Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with a DB MTM commission?

Makers on the thread - is a DB MTM commission more difficult to fit compared to a SB, or do you find that the manufacturers blocks pretty easily accommodate based on prior measurements/orders?

Sort of. In Boston I was using a small MTM company called Blank Label. I liked them. Got a few shirts and a couple of suits from them. The 2nd suit, I asked if they could do a DB waistcoat. They said, well, it's not standard, but we'll ask the tailors. What came back was perfect. One of my favorite pieces. I don't think I can customize many more details, but I was really happy.

I know they do DB jackets, and I'm confident it would be fine. I say go for it, particularly if you know the tailor/company has gotten your jacket fit right recently.

Garcia

Reaction score
Picked up my latest order at my local middle man (Quy Buy) yesterday. Cloth is Harris Tweed from Holland & Sherry (8919018).
Skjermbilde 2021-01-21 kl. 15.05.02.png

Garcia

Reaction score
Great looking suit. I was curious how wide the lapels are? Also, what city is your Quy Buy in?
Thanks. They´re 10 cm wide (about 3.9 inches). Quy Buy is located in Oslo, Norway.

Garcia

Reaction score

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2021-01-26 kl. 17.57.45.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-01-26 kl. 17.57.45.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Skjermbilde 2021-01-26 kl. 17.58.05.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-01-26 kl. 17.58.05.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 143
  • E6D876FD-2642-4D46-B5EB-C49D744A2610_1_102_o.jpeg
    E6D876FD-2642-4D46-B5EB-C49D744A2610_1_102_o.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 146

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm having a 6x2 db suit made, would the buttoning point (assuming middle button) be placed higher on the torso or at about the same height as the buttoning point on a single-breasted? Generally, anyone have any tips for MTM db for shorter guys so we can avoid looking like kids in our granddad's clothes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads