• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I think if you're in the Tom Ford MTM price range you should also consider traditional bespoke as well

Depends on location though. If he's in Calgary, it may not be practical. That said, maybe Calgary does have good bespoke options. Don't know, honestly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny enough, when I was helping this friend find new clothes, I was more cautious about recommending bespoke than MTM. I found that, when it's not my money, I feel a lot more anxious about the process. I don't want the person to come out with a bad jacket.

With MTM, some places will have try-on garments, so you can put something on, see how it looks, and figure whether small tweaks can get you where you need to be. With bespoke, there are no try-on garments. One person's experience may not be indicative of another's. I've seen some tailors make a beautiful suit for one client and then mess up on another. Or a client tries something on and ends up not liking the silhouette, even if it technically fits well.

MTM is also fraught with problems -- sometimes there are no try on garments, sometimes the fitter isn't very good, sometimes the client is a difficult fit, etc. I think each has their own challenges. But the try on garment can be very useful if you want to be cautious about the process of custom tailoring.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it is appreciated even though I sit here with a bit of a feeling of discouragement.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Three roll twos are a deeply American thing. I suppose it's fine if you're an American don't like it, but I'm surprised by someone who doesn't "get" it. It's like not understanding baseball or Coca Cola. I don't watch baseball or drink Coca Cola, but I understand that those are part of this country's traditions.

View attachment 1482333 View attachment 1482334 View attachment 1482335 View attachment 1482336 View attachment 1482338 View attachment 1482343

Even Rudolph Valentino, an Italian, knew what was up when he lived in America

View attachment 1482337

And Yamamoto-san of Tailor CAID

View attachment 1482340
I think 3r2 is a harmless affectation. I wouldn’t commission it especially but I’ve worn RTW 3r2s without qualms. What I think is objectively unflattering is a sack jacket without waist suppression.

induere_to

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it is appreciated even though I sit here with a bit of a feeling of discouragement.

I'm curious to know what your sales associate said, I'm presuming he let you walk out of the store with it?

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Yes it was - and I went with Munro. Do you think I'm within bounds to request a remake or significant alterations?
I'm curious to know what your sales associate said, I'm presuming he let you walk out of the store with it?

We had scheduled an appointment to do the try on, I arrived on time and he was with another customer and told a different associate (a newer employee) to let me try it on and he didn't have much feedback. During the initial measuring process I said the shoulders on the base jacket didn't fit right and also cautioned that it was too tight, especially on my back as my lats tend to flair out.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Well, the thing is, you seem tall and quite fit, so things will automatically look okayish. There's nothing obviously wrong with the garment itself, and it's actually in a way more wearable than what most guys here have simply because that look is what is in fashion now. The fabric seems casual enough that you have a bit of extra wiggle room fit-wise, too. Unless it's actually uncomfortable, which it does not seem to be except in a few specific positions, I would just wear the heck out of it now and enjoy it, before the fashion pendulum swings away.

For next time though, I've learned to definitely be more pushy at these things, especially against aggressive salesmen. If the offer try-ons and multiple fittings, make the most of these tools. Don't feel bad about it. Remember, it's not you vs him. It's the both of you working together vs the problem of getting a properly fitting MTM garment. In fact, for this one even, if it IS truly uncomfortable, I would take it up with the sales guy, as this is definitely not okay, and push them to the extent of their remake policy.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My stance is more extreme.

If I find the person fitting me to be a pain **********, I don't do business with them. (I'm sure my tailor finds me to be a pain **********.)

As stuffed mention, this is back-and-forth communication.

I stick with my one tailor because he does whatever I want him to do, and he also lets me know ASAP if he thinks it's going to look terrible.

After years, we're mostly on the same page and he ends up finishing my sentences at times.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had scheduled an appointment to do the try on, I arrived on time and he was with another customer and told a different associate (a newer employee) to let me try it on and he didn't have much feedback. During the initial measuring process I said the shoulders on the base jacket didn't fit right and also cautioned that it was too tight, especially on my back as my lats tend to flair out.

Not to pile on, but there are two enormous red flags here. He didn't care enough about the process to follow through (my tailor begs me for pics from all angles as soon as a garment is delivered), and your garment was tight enough that you could feel it and they didn't take your feedback seriously. Sorry, my friend.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full refund and run! Leave that place in the dust!!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have mentioned this in other threads, but it bears repeating here:

You are buying the fitter.

In any MTM program, there is a system that underlines the end product. Some things can be changed, some things cannot be changed. How all of those things fit together and are applied to your particular circumstances largely determines the outcome of the garment. What you are really paying for, is for someone's knowledge about how to work within that system.

If you dont feel like someone is listening to you, especially about your concerns early on and they dont have a plan to address those concerns, then its probably best to move on.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curt, slightly unfriendly service used to be taken as a sign on here that the fitter knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

cr2596

Reaction score
Curt, slightly unfriendly service used to be taken as a sign on here that the fitter knew what they were doing.
That same notion applies to bartenders, as well. But, if you’re a dick and don’t care to find out what suits me, I don’t care about your drink and won’t pay for it. Others shouldn’t, as well. Being rude in customer service fields shouldn’t garner respect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics