• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a different note, I'd heard about the Paddock Suit, but JFK's suit always looked terrible to me.

I love the way this one looks

a621ee76c175ff42416dd3923293b609--takahiro-bespoke.jpg
Fantastic !! except for the rollino, which isn't all that extreme

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a different note, I'd heard about the Paddock Suit, but JFK's suit always looked terrible to me.

I love the way this one looks

a621ee76c175ff42416dd3923293b609--takahiro-bespoke.jpg

I learned something today. I had never heard of a Paddock suit until today and its very interesting. I had heard that JFK always buttoned both buttons because he wore a back brace and wanted to hide it. Sounds like this isnt the real story, or perhaps he wore the Paddock suits because they hide the brace. Anyway, thanks for the info!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I learned something today. I had never heard of a Paddock suit until today and its very interesting. I had heard that JFK always buttoned both buttons because he wore a back brace and wanted to hide it. Sounds like this isnt the real story, or perhaps he wore the Paddock suits because they hide the brace. Anyway, thanks for the info!

I think there are two issues: why did JFK button the bottom button, and why did he wear the Paddock coat.

Paul at Chipp/ Winston, whose family used to cut some of JFK's clothes, told me that they made Paddock coats from JFK because he wore a back brace.

JFK wore a back brace because he had chronic back pain, resulting from an injury he sustained when his PT boat was sunk during WWII.

Here's JFK during his Presidency, wearing a Paddock coat.

EYj-jfQUYAERGYe.jpeg
tumblr_nrhacgP9sb1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

And the Duke wearing this cut
EYj-jfNUEAE8Vio.jpeg

But Kennedy also fastened the bottom button during his college years, which was before he served in the war. Here he is in a one button cuff! This is him at Harvard.

-sIPnmbX.jpg

Also pre-war

tumblr_npeebhfpq91rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ns76jvRrnL1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_oytgpcNPxk1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

He also fastened the bottom button on non-Paddock coats. This is pre-presidency and post-war

tumblr_o47gkgfIpL1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

I don't know the truth of the matter, tbh. I believe he wore the Paddock to hide his back brace because Paul told me so, and he would know since his family made JFK's coats. But it seems JFK also just fastened his bottom button because he did so. Maybe it was a family thing. This is him with his father and brother:

tumblr_mmenr0OqGu1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic !! except for the rollino, which isn't all that extreme
I had to google rollino. Personally can't distinguish between that and a traditional british roped shoulder.
No problem man. For me the picture was the highlight, it looks quite modern and the dapper guy wearing them supports that idea.

@dieworkwear JFK just looks sloppy to me, or the jacket reminds me of regular suits from a couple years ago with high button stances.

Great collection of pictures, the Duke pulls them off nicely.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had to google rollino. Personally can't distinguish between that and a traditional british roped shoulder.

There's no difference. Con rollino is basically just how you say you want a roped shoulder in Italian.

Traditionally, a roped shoulder is done with a bit of roping, which looks a bit like a pipe cleaner. But nowadays, when you ask for a roped shoulder, you'll mostly get a jacket where both seam outlets are pressed towards the sleeve of the coat. Combined with a bit of wadding, that's what results in the very light ridge you see on that coat.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the "paddock jacket" that makes me consider trying the style every once in a while. I generally like the way a jacket looks when the lapel begins to roll a little on the high side (I have a meager chest and a burgeoning gut, and I think the visual bulk of a high-rolling lapel offers a nice distraction from my figure). I've started to have all my jackets made as true 3-buttons, and I love the way the break in the lapel settles over time.
POW kicking soccer ball.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the "paddock jacket" that makes me consider trying the style every once in a while. I generally like the way a jacket looks when the lapel begins to roll a little on the high side (I have a meager chest and a burgeoning gut, and I think the visual bulk of a high-rolling lapel offers a nice distraction from my figure). I've started to have all my jackets made as true 3-buttons, and I love the way the break in the lapel settles over time.
View attachment 1482873

You should get one just to post a pic on StyleForum, and then when someone says you've wrongly fastened the bottom button, you can hit em with the "accttualllyyyyy..."

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1482873
With what looks like pretty open quarters, this look isn't that bad at all. Obviously anachronistic but it looks rather good imo

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of different style jackets... @dieworkwear can you share some examples from your library of country tweed hacking jackets? I've been looking for a classic example to save for when i order one down the road...I've already saved your 3r2 examples in my ivy/trad folder!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
speaking of different style jackets... @dieworkwear can you share some examples from your library of country tweed hacking jackets? I've been looking for a classic example to save for when i order one down the road...I've already saved your 3r2 examples in my ivy/trad folder!

Do you mean jackets with hacking pockets?

Admit, I don't think I have many photos, if any, of that. I've never really been a fan of the style, personally.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean jackets with hacking pockets?

Admit, I don't think I have many photos, if any, of that. I've never really been a fan of the style, personally.

yea, although I thought a hacking jacket was a riding coat that had more stylistic details to it than just hacking pockets...but maybe i was wrong...

the classic example I'm thinking of is Connery's Bond from Goldfiger, and was looking for some other reference points.

bond goldfinger hacking.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yea, although a thought a hacking jacket was a riding coat that had more stylistic details to it than just hacking pockets...but maybe i was wrong...

the classic example I'm thinking of is Connery's Bond from Goldfiger, and was looking for some other reference points.

View attachment 1483057

Oh, right. Yea, I think some of that stuff is outside what I normally look at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads