• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The luk-cha / Operation Paprika Moral Support Thread

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
The wonders of photography. Same shoe, shot at two focal points:

great job. well done. thank you.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I don't want to go all apropos in this thread, but I have to ask about the squeaking. It would seem that the squeaking would be a major dealbreaker for me for any shoe, leave alone one I had thrown a lot of money at. Isn't a squeaking shoe a sign of something wrong with the construction? Or is it merely a charming aspect of high-end hand-made shoes that a neophyte small-timer such as I cannot be expected to understand?

BTW, I like the look of these - I think the wingtip works much better than the captoe given the pebblegrain leather and last shape.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you fake sneeze with each step, no one notices the squeak.

The left shoe stopped squeaking after a day of wear. I'm hopeful for the right.

- B

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my take on the squeaking problem:

Squeaking sound must be due to some area. In this case, I think it's because of some air left in the footbed where cork was not completely filled. After some initial wear, this air will be forced out due to pressure -> hence no more squeaking as Vox said.

So I do not think squeaking will be a long term problem.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox - fun shoes. How is the fit? Visually, they look pretty wide. Are they on the roomy/wide side or surprisingly fitted?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I might replace the heel toplift...the metal heal plates are a bit too Prussian in their hall echo.

I am hoping the squeaks will go down a few dBs because, otherwise, it sounds like I am killing hamsters with each step.

squeeeeek SNAP!

squeeeeek SNAP!

squeeeeek SNAP!

I'm not sure why, but this is the funniest thing I've read all day. Granted, I've been immersed in some fairly boring stuff mostly but it still says a lot about my sick imagination.

ajv

Reaction score
Photographs of my Kiss shoes to accompany Cha-Cha's very nice photographs. Click pics for gigantic shots if you wish. Special thanks to Adrian for giving me first pick, and of course, to fritzl and the young Teutonic lad, Sterling G.

- B

you are welcome Bill, for what it's worth I did prefer the ones you didn't like, both of us are happy.

Originally Posted by fritzl
what can i say, "Operation Paprika" is meant to deliever the highest quality one can expect.

the current batch was a hard one. we had to deliever to: grimslade, ajv, luk-cha, vox and gdl203.

you know, when you have something special. especially our choice for ajv and vox was the toughest i had to encounter ever. we are a team, Sterling Gillette and me, but i'm some steps ahead in the expertise of the single pairs of shoes. ajv and vox had been my crucial test and i did well. i did so well that i received at least two threads on behalf of my product and my intuition.

my thank goes, in no particular order to: iammatt, binge, luk-cha, ajv, grimslade, gdl203, vox and the people to come to support this "wonderful cause" copyright vox.

thank you.

You are welcome, pleasure is mine.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Vox - fun shoes. How is the fit? Visually, they look pretty wide. Are they on the roomy/wide side or surprisingly fitted?

Mine look roomy/wide too, but I have a narrow foot and they fit perfectly.

Adrian

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

1-amc-pacer.jpg

They are a bit wide, but fritzl got pretty close.

- B

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv

Mine look roomy/wide too, but I have a narrow foot and they fit perfectly.

Adrian

Good to know. Thanks! If anyone else has any other comments on the width who has taken delivery that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
So I don't want to go all apropos in this thread, but I have to ask about the squeaking. It would seem that the squeaking would be a major dealbreaker for me for any shoe,
No all squeek,
most no.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are no man if you have never worn shoes with the special "squeek-snap"-feature to your favourite university library. So far, my best results were in our new theology/philosophy building. Marble floor and all.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! If anyone else has any other comments on the width who has taken delivery that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David,

Mr. Kiss gifted me two pairs. what a nice gesture. certainly they haven't been custom made on my last and the fit was so la la.

the good thing about the paprika. they give you a very good grip from heel to the vamp. this is a signature of the austrian-hungarian lasts. you can also have an arch support installed.

bengal-stripe showed it on a shoe, iirc Mr. Lattanzi(it was one of the italian makers), made for him. it's a small leather strap, which works wonders. i copied this concept for a few of mine and i'm satisfied with the result. it's my credo to involve the best of the different schools of shoemaking to achieve a good fit.

currently my ratio is above 90% on all of the shoes in my rotation.

i'm sure the process you're going through with AS will give you a lot more of understanding for the whole thing.

rule of thumb is quite simple: use the "best" ingredients, keep it simple at the start and then work out the improvements.

ps: before i forget, the two pairs are already in my rotation and above the bar of 90%
smile.gif

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping the squeaks will go down a few dBs because, otherwise, it sounds like I am killing hamsters with each step.
laugh.gif

- B

Well, the US Supreme Court just struck down the ban on crush videos so there may be a future there for you.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vintage sea turtle in british racing green...

wallet.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads