• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I have a couple of waxed cotton caps by Failsworth / Earland bros made from Halley Stevensons waxed cotton material,nice caps in the rain and they seem breathable too.
In fact I have been so impressed that I am watching out for a jacket made from the same material,Fred Perry have made jackets from HS material in the past as have many more famous names.

A problem recently with caps is people saying about Peaky Blinders, now I was quite surprised that most people even knew about Peaky Blinders, anyway I then found out (I should have guessed) that there is a TV series about them.
Now of course any time someone is seen wearing a cap there will be a Peaky Blinders comment,20 years ago it would have been Victor Meldrew....
I get this on a regular basis mainly from people who are in their early 20s, even though nothing about the rest of my outfit says 1920s, its not like flat caps are not an uncommon sight round here either, maybe its cos im 30 and wearing one rather than 60+, annoying either way.

Wool trousers will require a lot more care than jeans though. I do have jeans - Wranglers MWZ13 ‘cowboy cut’ guaranteed not to reveal builders bum. They are reasonably priced and handy for chores where other trousers might get damaged. At this time of year, moleskin and 8 wale cords are nice and warm and don’t get damaged by moths.

Can vouch for em, been wearing them for 4 years now rather than levis. Never looked back. Find them more comfortable too.

This is typical of my winter hat style - all pretty casual.

View attachment 1290215

Bucket hat made in Scotland and branded ‘3 Cavaliers’, Bates, DAKS house check

They look good Mr K, would wear all 3 of em, i have a failsworth like the flat cap on the right, real nice quality.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not really season appropriate, but i recently had a conversation with @cerneabbas about Tshirts with logos.
The only logo i can stand is the FP one. I have 4 plain Tshirts.

FPT2.JPG

The navy one is quite old, it has an interesting detail : the Fred Perry signature embroidered on the sleeve. It was a limited edition i bought at JD sports something like 14 years ago...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard Victor Meldrew comments when I was in Manchester where it rains a lot. I had an Aquascutum single breasted beige mac and a flat cap and I am old. So it was fair comment. Expectation and reality again. That said, some of Victor’s kit looks pretty good to me.

Bucket hats can be handy because they keep rain off spectacles better than many caps but can be folded and stuffed in a pocket too.
Other hats are a complete minefield and I would not go there (summer Panama excepted). Look at Fedora Lounge for justification of this point of view.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two cents / pence:

I don’t think there’s necessarily an upper age limit for jeans and trainers. They CAN look good at any age it’s the choices that are important. A lot of blokes get to a certain age and they’re wearing washed out baggy flaccid jeans and comfortable orthopedic style trainers which is a bad advert for the look. I’m a frequent wearer of dark fitted jeans and gazelles / sambas / stan smiths.

I mentioned in my recent blog post that I’m wearing jeans less these days simply coz I’m a bit bored with them. I have four pairs of dark blue selvedge jeans - two Levis and two Uniqlo and I’m happy to have achieved my mission of not wearing them at all over the summer but I have had them on a couple of times in recent weeks.

I also have two white jeans and a few assorted colours of five pocket cotton strides (Levis 511 ‘Commuters’). I neither like, nor own, nor desire to own, nor have a need for moleskins or cords.

Anything higher than the above on a formality scale would mean either sta pressts or linen strides for me, which I wear a lot in the hot Florida summers.

I need to join the harrington challenge and since there’s a bit of an anti jeans undercurrent I’m trying to decide what non jeans would look good with mine.
Lots of older folk wear jeans because they are perceived as low maintenance and comfortable. Track suit bottoms are the next step for some of this view.

However other oldies do take interest in jeans but still get it wrong. Drainpipe trousers don’t work for most oldies unless they are built like John Cooper Clarke. If you are carrying a lot of weight it just looks like mutton dressed as lamb.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks very Dunn & Co.
The whole thing or the bucket hat? If the latter, I have been wondering where it may have originated. Unlike my other hats / caps which I bought new, I got it from a charity shop. It seemed unworn.

I tend to agree that hats of all types can have the effect of aging. Mrs K also says that, apart from my Panama, they don’t really suit me! I think it was Cary Grant who, early in his career decided ‘no more hats’. It’s even mentioned in The Bishop’s Wife. Perhaps I should follow his example ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The whole thing or the bucket hat? If the latter, I have been wondering where it may have originated. Unlike my other hats / caps which I bought new, I got it from a charity shop. It seemed unworn.

I tend to agree that hats of all types can have the effect of aging. Mrs K also says that, apart from my Panama, they don’t really suit me! I think it was Cary Grant who, early in his career decided ‘no more hats’. It’s even mentioned in The Bishop’s Wife. Perhaps I should follow his example ?
Well you have the guts to try Mr K.
I agree that a flat cap is much easier to wear than a hat, i don't even try TBH.
I am tempted for a while by the Ivy Style Rain hats though, but i can't find them here, and i would like to try one on. Last time i went to Brooks Brothers in London they didn't stock them, they were only on their website.
So it's flat caps for me, very happy with my last acquisition, a Failsworth waxed cap.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of waxed cotton caps by Failsworth / Earland bros made from Halley Stevensons waxed cotton material,nice caps in the rain and they seem breathable too.
In fact I have been so impressed that I am watching out for a jacket made from the same material,Fred Perry have made jackets from HS material in the past as have many more famous names.

A problem recently with caps is people saying about Peaky Blinders, now I was quite surprised that most people even knew about Peaky Blinders, anyway I then found out (I should have guessed) that there is a TV series about them.
Now of course any time someone is seen wearing a cap there will be a Peaky Blinders comment,20 years ago it would have been Victor Meldrew....

Yes, an added annoyance. Like you I knew the history of the West Midlands gangs but was not aware of the tv series until recently - I don’t watch much telly...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes, an added annoyance. Like you I knew the history of the West Midlands gangs but was not aware of the tv series until recently - I don’t watch much telly...

i agree that it's boring now that if you wear a cap people refer to the TV series.
Not even speaking of the Peaky Blinders look fad, quite ridiculous IMO.

I think it is an interesting series though (the only one i am watching since it's beginning), good plot, excellent actors, movie stars apparitions, historical references, for example last season featured Mosley and the British Union of Fascists.

Of course the mix of a story happening in the 1920s-1930s and a modern soundtrack does not always please everyone...

Excellent Tom Hardy performance, among others. The two main Characters, The Peaky brothers Thomas and Arthur Shelby, are very good too.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score

Ignoring the fact that they also wear newsboy caps in peaky blinders and not flat caps, i have never actually watched the TV program. i have been called victor meldrew before but thats funny, i don't belieeeeve it!

The dunn and co tweed jacket i have is real nice quality, 3 button, ticket pocket, really thick and it was only a fiver.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dunn and co tweed jacket i have is real nice quality, 3 button, ticket pocket, really thick and it was only a fiver.

It will last forever too. If it is Harris tweed you will not need to worry about wrinkles either.

On the other hand at my age if I am wearing a tweed jacket I often get offered a seat on the Tube. That would not happen if was in different clothes or had an earring or a ponytail. Swings and roundabouts.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of tweed bucket hats, I have one I’d only wear with a technical Barbour, C.P. Company, Stone Island, etc., jacket.
On me it’d look like cosplay if I wore the tweed bucket hat with an overcoat, mac, tweed, etc. I’m 44 so I don’t think I’m, erm, “distinguished” enough yet.
Some good looks and discussion today though, fellas.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hats are strictly functional for me - a helmet, that sort of thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads