• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Here's a younger one. Someone sent me this the other day. I'm not on Facebook. The guys in the front are well-known Arsenal boys at the time. The kid on the steps behind them- wasn't.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“whether a (good) blouson can ever convey the same sense of style and occasion as a (good) suit. ”

The Harrington was originally an English garment that came back on our TV screens as something slightly exotic and foreign.

Ignoring the various youth cult associations, I suspect blousons were possibly cheap clothing for American working men -whereas in the UK tailored jackets were readily available and affordable for all.

Norman Rockwell paintings are a case in point. Look at the bloke in ‘Freedom of Speech’ and the people next to him.

‘The blue-collar speaker wears a plaid shirt and suede jacket. He has dirty hands and a darker complexion than others in attendance.The other attendees are wearing white shirts, ties and jackets.’

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignoring the various youth cult associations, I suspect blousons were possibly cheap clothing for American working men -whereas in the UK tailored jackets were readily available and inexpensive for all.

Norman Rockwell paintings are a case in point. Look at the bloke in ‘Freedom of Speech’ and the people next to him.

Looks like a US Navy deck jacket, the US Army did seem to have some fairly modern-looking short jackets in WW2 as well so maybe it was a returning serviceman thing that developed into something more civilian.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @cerneabbas said this could be a very good and necessary debate. I think it is, but I was not really commenting on the declining standards in menswear (and in many other things) in my post, although I may have hinted at that decline.

I was really posing the question – thinking of @Kingstonian 's original point – as to whether a (good) blouson can ever convey the same sense of style and occasion as a (good) suit. I was not thinking about the plain man who buys his suits and his onesies at Primark or Asda, drives a new £70K Range Rover but drives it in dirty trainers and a t-shirt.

Apart from work wear where is a suit necessary now ? when we were younger you had to wear a suit on a Saturday night to get into most dance halls etc but not now (in any case I finished with going to places like that years ago).
Funerals,weddings other formal occasions (most of which I make excuses not to attend anyway) and then ? I am struggling to find somewhere to wear a suit.

A suit that is a good fit and good material is going to look smart,so yes if you want to look smart you know that a suit is the thing to wear,but (imo) 'smart casual' is much harder to get right and 'smart casual' is going to be worn by most people much more than 'smart'.

I have to say that I don't like the term 'smart casual' much but its a description that is used quite a bit,so what does it mean ? I guess that its bang in between 'smart' (a suit) and your gardening clothes....
I remember when we told to 'wear something tidy' as kids it meant no jeans or T shirt, perhaps 'smart casual' is something like that ?

I don't think that for instance a Harrington is going to outshine a suit,for a start a suit is probably more expensive and (again) it is meant to look smart.
I cant imagine wearing a suit to the pub or any other social occasion and I don't see anyone else wearing one either (unless its someone like Rab C Nesbitt and I tend to avoid pubs that he would drink in ), but a Harrington/shirt/trousers/shoes would look ok in most situations,not everyone is going to be able to get that right though.

Interesting that in most of the pictures on Clouseau's challenge the people are wearing jeans,jeans are NOT smart imo even if they cost megabucks and I thinkthat they should be avoided by most older blokes,the excuse "but I have always worn jeans" doesn't work.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a US Navy deck jacket, the US Army did seem to have some fairly modern-looking short jackets in WW2 as well so maybe it was a returning serviceman thing that developed into something more civilian.
Some variation of the Tankers jacket ?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also demonstrates the "blouson effect" which some people seem to dismiss for the slim fit look.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from work wear where is a suit necessary now ? when we were younger you had to wear a suit on a Saturday night to get into most dance halls etc but not now (in any case I finished with going to places like that years ago).
On SF surely we don't worry about what might be 'necessary'. We have a passion for clothes that transcends the everyday.

Over the last year or so I have worn suits or jacket, trousers and tie for all of the following:
Work - meeting a client, running an event, going to London and working in the office of my Associates, etc.

Non-work - funeral, lunching out, dining out, the ballet or theatre, going up to London shopping, hospital visits, on holiday, especially on a cruise, just to name a few.

But you are quite right that (apart from the strict dress codes on board ship) I could have got away with less on almost all of the above, even work.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On SF surely we don't worry about what might be 'necessary'. We have a passion for clothes that transcends the everyday.

Over the last year or so I have worn suits or jacket, trousers and tie for all of the following:
Work - meeting a client, running an event, going to London and working in the office of my Associates, etc.

Non-work - funeral, lunching out, dining out, the ballet or theatre, going up to London shopping, hospital visits, on holiday, especially on a cruise, just to name a few.

But you are quite right that (apart from the strict dress codes on board ship) I could have got away with less on almost all of the above, even work.
I was thinking about a point you made on page 556 MrK, about looking as good in the local on a Friday night as you would in your Suit on a Saturday night.
The Friday night at the pub back in the day could see you wearing Brogues,Sta Prest,OCBD, Harrington ? possibly a Jumper as well,quite probably that would be seen as 'Smart Casual' now ?
My Brogues/wool flat front trousers/OCBD/Harrington look of today isnt a million miles from that look imo and will do for me unless it needs to be a few degrees smarter (Sports jacket or Blazer) or 'Smartly dressed' = a Suit.

I still think that 'Smart Casual' is a rubbish description,I Googled it yesterday and lots of conflicting opinions,some saying that it could include jeans or shorts ! and one Cruise line saying that it certainly didnt include jeans or T shirts.
Surely any description that has to be qualified like 'dress code Smart Casual (no Jeans)' is crap ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a point you made on page 556 MrK, about looking as good in the local on a Friday night as you would in your Suit on a Saturday night.
The Friday night at the pub back in the day could see you wearing Brogues,Sta Prest,OCBD, Harrington ? possibly a Jumper as well,quite probably that would be seen as 'Smart Casual' now ?
My Brogues/wool flat front trousers/OCBD/Harrington look of today isnt a million miles from that look imo and will do for me unless it needs to be a few degrees smarter (Sports jacket or Blazer) or 'Smartly dressed' = a Suit.

I still think that 'Smart Casual' is a rubbish description,I Googled it yesterday and lots of conflicting opinions,some saying that it could include jeans or shorts ! and one Cruise line saying that it certainly didnt include jeans or T shirts.
Surely any description that has to be qualified like 'dress code Smart Casual (no Jeans)' is crap ?

Yes it’s a crap term open to all kinds of different interpretations.

Cruise lines just struggle with dress codes in this ‘casual age’ and one hears of fights breaking out among passengers over this very point. At least on SF we debate the issues like gentlemen ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Did my entry too if you wanna have a look guys...

I tried to be a creative a bit, with a Tartan shirt instead of the classic Tartan lining.

Black Harrington : Uniqlo U G4
Red tartan Popover shirt - Uniqlo X JW Anderson
Black Belt (unseen) : Paul Smith
British Khaki Trousers : Gap Straight 'Vintage' Chino
Oxblood Shoes : Loake Royals

KEEP THE ENTRIES COMING, THEY ARE VERY GOOD SO FAR !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads