• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today i never see a suit, never see a tie, and when you wear a blazer and a shirt you almost look overdressed !
Mais non, in 2019, suranné is in:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Mais non, in 2019, suranné is in:

View attachment 1283998

I ran into him a couple of weeks ago, he didn't wear a three piece suit nor his weird tie, that he probably Keeps for the medias. He had his TM spider brooch though.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @cerneabbas said this could be a very good and necessary debate. I think it is, but I was not really commenting on the declining standards in menswear (and in many other things) in my post, although I may have hinted at that decline.

I was really posing the question – thinking of @Kingstonian 's original point – as to whether a (good) blouson can ever convey the same sense of style and occasion as a (good) suit. I was not thinking about the plain man who buys his suits and his onesies at Primark or Asda, drives a new £70K Range Rover but drives it in dirty trainers and a t-shirt.

I suppose, in response, you guys were saying that in very few settings today can a suit ever look ‘right’ and hence the need to dress more casually. But doesn’t that depend on where you go and what you do?

I am looking forward to the current FC to see whether a smart blouson can indeed outshine a fine CM fit.

@Yorky your post reminded me that the navy velvet jacket became, for a short time in the late 1970s, a serious alternative to the navy blazer. I saw businessmen in France and Belgium sporting them during the day with grey flannel trousers and loafers and did my best to copy that look. Today I would advise checking out (if you haven’t already) the thread on the CM boards ‘The State of Black Tie’ which focuses on evening wear in a broad sense. May be helpful for your New Year bash. BTW Mrs Yorky sounds a very stylish lady!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think it is a bit like comparing French food to Chinese food. It can't compare !
Both can be excellent or terrible...
And anyway it is subjective : a young SW&D guy will most probably find ridiculous and dated a "Fine CM suit" and vice versa...
So it is an irrelevant debate imho...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another non style related forum I look at, whenever someone asks for advice along the lines of needing a suit for a wedding or other event, there is always a plethora of people advising to get one from George at Asda as you can throw it out afterwards. Even my brother - hardly a sartorial icon but he knows me well enough - when I told him that last time I went home to England I took one dark navy suit plus shirt and tie just in case there was a funeral or impromptu wedding invitation, he replied that if it was him he would have just bought a cheap one if necessary and then thrown it out later.

This seems to be the modern mentality, that more formal clothing is used so rarely it’s now disposable like a Bic razor.

Anyway as for smart casual - here’s a cross post from the MC casual thread. Details on the blog ...

View attachment 1283733 View attachment 1283734

The sweater reminds me of a Four Tops EP cover. I like knitwear with insets. You don’t see it so much these days

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha good spot!
I think this kind of knitwear has a very sixties look to it. Don’t recall seeing anything like it during the revival period of say 1979 onwards but I see them occasionally offered these days by the likes of Art Gallery, John Smedley, or even Madcap England. Sometimes you see them as a cardigan with a similar polo collar but buttons all the way to the hem. I’m not much into cardigans but I’d consider one of them if the style and colours were right.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

Once you said. OK, here you go. This is probably the only selfie I've got. It was taken in Cordings, in a (successful) attempt to win my missus round to the jacket. This garment is one of those I posted.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne is that the silk and linen blend jacket? I have a Cordings jacket that looks identical to that in the aforementioned blend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads