• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that. I had a Lands End flannel shirt in BlackWatch Tartan in the 90s that i kept for years. I was just wondering if the Uniqlo x JWA could stand the comparison. It seems thinner indeed, now its a popover, it was cheap, and it's a bit more fashionable than the Lands Ends items.
TBH i find that the contemporary Lands End can't stand the comparison in terms of quality with the 90s Lands End...

Quote/Kingstonian:
No Ben Nevis which is the classic inexpensive raglan sleeve option.

Well apart the Next (because it's in cord) he says he don't mention Budget harringtons...

Lands End flannels I bought in the sales have all held up well and are very warm. Only changes I notice are the patterns offered. I have all the nice tartans and plaids that I want but recent years have not been as desirable anyway. Button down collars on mine are a reasonable size too.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Lands End flannels I bought in the sales have all held up well and are very warm. Only changes I notice are the patterns offered. I have all the nice tartans and plaids that I want but recent years have not been as desirable anyway. Button down collars on mine are a reasonable size too.
Did you know the brand in the 90s? At the time, as far as i remember, it was only available in the USA unless if you were ready to pay a lot for the customs and postage. I think that once they begin to sell their stuff abroad there was a drastic change in quality.
I think LLBean is much better nowadays.

I remember the collar of the LE Flannel BD i had was on the smaller side but still decent.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne

Are those all recent acquisitions?!!!

Love my covert coats, and that Light grey Crombie one looks amazing. However, I have a hard time wearing this style coat now if I’m wearing a scally cap(or your above newsboy cap). One more “Peaky Blinders” comment from nice old ladies and I may explode.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you know the brand in the 90s? At the time, as far as i remember, it was only available in the USA unless if you were ready to pay a lot for the customs and postage. I think that once they begin to sell their stuff abroad there was a drastic change in quality.
I think LLBean is much better nowadays.

I remember the collar of the LE Flannel BD i had was on the smaller side but still decent.
No only purchased from UK and found their stuff good value and sometimes very good.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne

Are those all recent acquisitions?!!!

Love my covert coats, and that Light grey Crombie one looks amazing. However, I have a hard time wearing this style coat now if I’m wearing a scally cap(or your above newsboy cap). One more “Peaky Blinders” comment from nice old ladies and I may explode.
Thing is, well actually, there's two things. Firstly, I've been wearing those caps for around 45 years and secondly, the pricks that wear them down to Peaky-Blinders, go for a 'fuller' cap. More Bakerboy. Those I had to cease and desist with. Both of them from Locks too. They're relatively recent acquisitions. All bar the Buzz Rickson jacket... threw that in for a laugh. To be honest, there's a lot more but much of it would be inappropriate for the thread. Take care B.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
One for the road.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne many of those purchases would have stood you well in the Friday Challenge - Show us the Cut of Your Jib. But I do appreciate that you don't like to show off...

Anyway, go Vote!

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Thing is, well actually, there are two things. Firstly, I've been wearing those caps for around 45 years and secondly, the pricks that wear them down to Peaky-Blinders, go for a 'fuller' cap. More Bakerboy. Those I had to cease and desist. with. Both from Locks too. They're relatively recent acquisitions. All bar the Buzz Rickson jacket... threw that in for a laugh. To be honest, there's a lot more but much of it would be inappropriate for the thread. Take care B.
Sorry, an amendment; the brown fedora's not in my possession. I had it on order from Locks but they've discontinued it.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Another for the road. You know how it is... Got it this morning (Sun/17th/Nov). Pendleton 'Thomas Kay'. Oh!

Image result for pendleton thomas kay shirt blue and black

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of recent purchases, you have heard me talk about 'The Wonders of Vintage' before - the OCBD I'm wearing in the current FC is one of their offerings.

I just picked up a Made in France longsleeve Lacoste from one of their Topman outlets. Lovely colour:

View attachment 1282167

View attachment 1282170

Not with a cravat though. Only Kenneth More can wear those. You would also need a pipe and crinkly brylcream hair. Probably a tattersall shirt too. Ken did not go in for logos.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not with a cravat though. Only Kenneth More can wear those. You would also need a pipe and crinkly brylcream hair. Probably a tattersall shirt too. Ken did not go in for logos.
I thought someone would say that! The problem with these older Lacostes is a small, low-set collar. You need something to fill the gap. A t-shirt / 'Canadian Cravat' perhaps?

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada gets the blame, but Americans also have their underwear on display as part of some of their military uniforms.

How about just wearing the polo neck open and not drawing unwanted comments, or simply not worrying about how low the cut the fully buttoned shirt is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads