• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a similar silvery sharkskin jacket in 1985 in Afflecks Palace in Manchester for fifteen quid. It was probably made in the early sixties and is made from ‘worsted and silk’. It still fits and I still get it out occasionally. Like yours, it may have been part of a suit at one time. I wear it with light grey strides. Looks like a good find Clouseau.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Guys, thanks to those of you who voted for me in the "Dress like a star challenge". My 4th victory… much appreciated.

The new challenge is up, and it is a nod to where we come from :

Cheers
Your Inspector friend

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a similar silvery sharkskin jacket in 1985 in Afflecks Palace in Manchester for fifteen quid. It was probably made in the early sixties and is made from ‘worsted and silk’. It still fits and I still get it out occasionally. Like yours, it may have been part of a suit at one time. I wear it with light grey strides. Looks like a good find Clouseau.
I used to love Afflecks Palace, I was only wearing the other day, a dark green cord Levis trucker that I bought from there about 25 years ago. It was second hand then.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
A quick shot of my Merc Jacket, worn very casually (Tshirt, 501, and DM loafers). But well i am quite happy with the fit. Will look much better of course with shirt & trousers.

MercJacket.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Nigel Hall do some nice stuff, especially knitwear, they used to sell it in the Leeds Harvey Nics. I've had a few wool overcoats from there in the sales over the years. One was a Black Pea coat style and a Navy "Crombie" style, it's a bit scary as I wore one recently and found a coffee shop receipt in the pocket from 2005, I was sure that I had bought it more recently. At least they still fit.
I live between the Covent Garden and the Charing Cross Rd branches of TK Maxx... It's lethal. That said, I've picked up untold gear in there. Take care Yorky.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
"Your favorite oxford shirt" is still running for almost a week. It would be great to have more contestants from our little "group".
This Friday Challenge is pretty popular with 15 entries so far, but (shhhh just between you and me) i don't think we have the winner yet, it really stays open… Every type of collar, pattern, and color, allowed as long as it's Oxford cloth.

Original BS OCBD
BS3.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the recent chat about TK Maxx I was looking back through my own bits and pieces from that emporium. I can't really think of another shop, apart perhaps from John Simons (and I have been going to him since 1969), that has so consistently come up with the goods. A small selection:

TK Maxx Composite.jpg

Ties from Salvatore Piccolo of Naples, Paul Costelloe and Balmain. Belt from Romeo Gigli. Knitwear from Nigel Hall and Pringle and shirts from PoloRL.

And, of course, the G9:

Sat Kingy G Pub_ (2).JPG

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very nice collection there Mr K, and although I had said that I was going to kerb my buys, I couldn't resist the following.

G9 from TK Maxx Leeds £49.99 to replace my old darker shade of sand.
IMG_7834.JPG

Gant Rugger cotton BD £19.99 from Gant outlet York.

IMG_7835.JPG

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifty quid for a genuine G-9 is ridiculous like. I don’t get to a TJMaxx very often over here but there’s an affiliated Marshall’s near me at which I once got a RLP linen shirt and ... well that’s about it!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It's time for a new TLGO survey.

This is the most important referendum since the Brexit.

Desert Boots or Monkey Boots ?

MB_opt.jpg

I am the happy owner of both, but i will vote for Desert Boots.

I hope we will have a majority and will avoid the no deal.
Votes opened until October 31, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads