• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As once again the watch thread is alight with the petrol fumes of Rolex, I was wondering to what extent the brand interacted with the good folks habitually posting here. I know @Clouseau at least has/had one.
Platinum Yachtmaster
Smurf Blue Sub
White face Daytona with steel bezel
On the waiting list for a year for the new Pepsi GMT

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As once again the watch thread is alight with the petrol fumes of Rolex, I was wondering to what extent the brand interacted with the good folks habitually posting here. I know @Clouseau at least has/had one.

I have a Chopard Mille Miglia(though the rubber tire tread band needs replacing), a Hanhart Luftwaffe watch, and a couple small, understated Timex automatics from the early ‘70s.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still just a Swatch, the Vacheron Constantin ('my other watch is a Rolex') is on hold...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
New Challenge is up, and it's a good one !

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Look Goes On has slipped off the first page, so time to try to crank it up...

What about hats? In this very warm weather in northern Europe I have finally taken the plunge and bought a Panama. Never really part of the Look back in 1969, (apart perhaps for the 'pork pie') who has the courage to wear a hat today?

New hat Christys.JPG

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of that one Mr. K. I have six or seven panamas in various colours, most are the Bowery style from JJs in New York.
I always say to anyone contemplating a hat, get a panama and wear it on holiday. It will serve a useful purpose in sun protection, you can take some time to get used to wearig it, and not have your mates around to take the piss and dent your confidence if it’s a bit fragile!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of that one Mr. K. I have six or seven panamas in various colours, most are the Bowery style from JJs in New York.
I always say to anyone contemplating a hat, get a panama and wear it on holiday. It will serve a useful purpose in sun protection, you can take some time to get used to wearig it, and not have your mates around to take the piss and dent your confidence if it’s a bit fragile!
Thanks TWD!

Actually, knowing that there would be few people around, I did wear it today for the office. It did a great job on what turned out to be the hottest July day on record in the UK (38.1c in Cambridge).

Given my lack of experience with hats, I stopped in a deserted village to take a picture on my way to work!

7870AAD4-0E1F-458A-871E-6519D35DF4E8.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional panama in beige straw often have a black ribbon which looks a bit harsh IMO. It’s easy to swap ‘em out. JJs has them in various colours. We recently went to Cancun for a friend’s ten year anniversary reunion and the prescribed colours were aqua, sand and white so I got an aqua hat band for the ol’ titfer there which went down well.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Thanks TWD!

Actually, knowing that there would be few people around, I did wear it today for the office. It did a great job on what turned out to be the hottest July day on record in the UK (38.1c in Cambridge).

Given my lack of experience with hats, I stopped in a deserted village to take a picture on my way to work!

View attachment 1212284
Hello Mr. Knightly. I've got a black Panama from Locks. They call it the 'Palm Springs'.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional panama in beige straw often have a black ribbon which looks a bit harsh IMO. It’s easy to swap ‘em out. JJs has them in various colours. We recently went to Cancun for a friend’s ten year anniversary reunion and the prescribed colours were aqua, sand and white so I got an aqua hat band for the ol’ titfer there which went down well.
Fascinating stuff @Thin White Duke

Are you also a fan of other hat styles?

@Jimmy Balantyne that Lock’s Panama sounds great!

I have have been trying to recall some of the many hat etiquette tips I have read over the years. Do the old rules still apply in these anything-goes times?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Fascinating stuff @Thin White Duke

Are you also a fan of other hat styles?

@Jimmy Balantyne that Lock’s Panama sounds great!

I have have been trying to recall some of the many hat etiquette tips I have read over the years. Do the old rules still apply in these anything-goes times?
I know it's poor form and possibly bad luck, to wear them indoors. That aside though, I don't really know much about any rules and to be perfectly honest, care even less. Peace.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah over time and disuse the rules have got a bit blurred.
Like JB says you’re not supposed to wear them indoors and certainly not sat down to eat but ‘indoors’ Ike a shopping mall, airport concourse, hotel lobby, passenger train etc is probably fine.

I remember my Mam saying it was bad manners to wear your hat in a lift. Shirley MacLaine says she likes the way Jack Lemmon takes his hat off in the life in ‘The Apartment’ and Don Draper once got edgy with some young lads in the lift in ‘Mad Men’ and forced them to take their hats off.

If you watch Downtown Abbey you’ll see the old etiquette on display. If the toffs were ever meeting a lady outdoors they’d tug on the brim in passing but if they stopped to talk they’d usually doff the hat completely. I doubt anyone but Julian Fellowes himself would even notice if you did or didn’t do likelwise, especially over here the land of the ubiquitous baseball cap.

My Mam also said it was bad manners to put your hands in your pockets. Funny today I was dropping the bairn off at daycare and there was a Mam in the lift with her four year old lad and she told him to take his hands out of his pockets. I may do it wearing jeans but never do it when I’m suited up. People say they like double vented jackets as it makes putting your hands in your pockets easy - I get most of the vents in my jackets closed but since I don’t put hands in pockets it’s no loss.

As for other styles I have a couple of pork pies in black and brown and a royal blue narrow brim fedora. All rarely worn. My panamas get the most use.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads