• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interesting opinions and choices on the last few pages,for me
I didn't like the Crombie/jeans/boots look
I do like a plain,light coloured BD with a tie
Plimsolls no
Trainers not any more
Espadrilles no
Baggy polo shirts no
Loafers with shorts no (Moccasin type boat shoes for me)
Music no
Drugs no

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean that you don't like music?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean that you don't like music?
That's right,music is on a long list of things that I don't like,if I don't like it I avoid it,unfortunately music is everywhere now even in the changing rooms at the gym FFS.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Friday Challenge may still be open and spring has returned to SE England today so I put in a late entry...

FC Spring Jkt (2).jpg

FC Spring Jacket (3).jpg

FC Spring feets (2).jpg

PoloRL x 2 // Wrangler // Clarks Originals

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to baggy polo shirts ! :laugh: They have an advantage when it's hot, you don't feel the same heat than with a fitted one.
I agree about the baggy/loose cut being better for keeping cool BUT those polos are Jersey, now that material is definitely not so good for hot weather as Pique,ok it looks better (imo) but those tennis shirts were made from Pique cotton for a good reason.
I tend to wear short sleeve shirts in this way
Warm-Jersey cotton SS polo
Warmer-Pique cotton SS polo
Warmer still- SS cotton BD
Hot- Madras SS BD

I know that we mention this every summer but it definitely seems to be getting warmer,typically I am wearing SS polos in April/May and end of September/October, this year it has been too hot for Pique SS polos in May and I have been wearing SS cotton BDs.

On the SS OCBD's,I wanted a Lavender or Lilac colour for a change, the Gitman which was my first choice is about £150 (ish) here.
I saw some in M&S a few months back but they didn't look that good,however I was in there again last week and I saw some marked 'improved fit' for £17.50.
So I bought one,Lavender (got a compliment on the colour from a young lady !) SS OCBD,made in India,back button on collar and locker loop.
The collar is a tight 2 finger and will be too small for many on here,I like the J Crew SS OCBD and the M&S collar is .5cm smaller than the JC.
Like a lot of SS shirts at the moment the sleeve length is a bit too short for me.
The shirt feels quite cool at the moment and I think that for the price its a good buy as a very casual summer shirt,I didn't really like the other colours or I would have bought more.
btw the J Crew SS OCBD which is about the same quality but with a slightly bigger collar and no back button or locker loop is £67 here now....and most other SS OCBDs have a 1 finger collar.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That's right,music is on a long list of things that I don't like,if I don't like it I avoid it,unfortunately music is everywhere now even in the changing rooms at the gym FFS.
I agree about the baggy/loose cut being better for keeping cool BUT those polos are Jersey, now that material is definitely not so good for hot weather as Pique,ok it looks better (imo) but those tennis shirts were made from Pique cotton for a good reason.
I tend to wear short sleeve shirts in this way
Warm-Jersey cotton SS polo
Warmer-Pique cotton SS polo
Warmer still- SS cotton BD
Hot- Madras SS BD

I know that we mention this every summer but it definitely seems to be getting warmer,typically I am wearing SS polos in April/May and end of September/October, this year it has been too hot for Pique SS polos in May and I have been wearing SS cotton BDs.

On the SS OCBD's,I wanted a Lavender or Lilac colour for a change, the Gitman which was my first choice is about £150 (ish) here.
I saw some in M&S a few months back but they didn't look that good,however I was in there again last week and I saw some marked 'improved fit' for £17.50.
So I bought one,Lavender (got a compliment on the colour from a young lady !) SS OCBD,made in India,back button on collar and locker loop.
The collar is a tight 2 finger and will be too small for many on here,I like the J Crew SS OCBD and the M&S collar is .5cm smaller than the JC.
Like a lot of SS shirts at the moment the sleeve length is a bit too short for me.
The shirt feels quite cool at the moment and I think that for the price its a good buy as a very casual summer shirt,I didn't really like the other colours or I would have bought more.
btw the J Crew SS OCBD which is about the same quality but with a slightly bigger collar and no back button or locker loop is £67 here now....and most other SS OCBDs have a 1 finger collar.

I will forgive you about the two finger collar, because of the price. I've got a GAP ss Madras that is really nice, but the collar is on the small side too. But it's in real Indian Madras cloth and i like it. I got a JCrew ss Madras that i bought in the sales, but at 50% off it was still more expensive than the GAP Madras at full price, and the cloth is from Mauritius !

When it's HOT +, sorry mate but only TShirt left. Heresy (again) i know…

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Land’s End catalogue through the door recently that had some nice SS BD hot weather options, between poplin, madras, Seersucker and linen. I’m all full in that department but may be worth a look to some. Don’t know if they’ll satisfy the collar fetishists!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Land’s End catalogue through the door recently that had some nice SS BD hot weather options, between poplin, madras, Seersucker and linen. I’m all full in that department but may be worth a look to some. Don’t know if they’ll satisfy the collar fetishists!
I have two of the LE seersucker shirts - a classic blue stripe and a green stripe. The collars are fine. They even have the button at the back.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good @Thin White Duke

Also wearing a navy blazer and pale grey trousers but in warmer fabrics for a rather cool June day in SE England:

RC Auto 062019.JPG

RC Auto 062019 full.JPG

RC Auto 062019 shoes.JPG

Bespoke woollen blazer with MOP buttons // M&S Autograph wool-mix trou // Harvie & Hudson herringbone twill shirt and Ozwald Boateng tie // Bass in Horween leather with cotton OTC socks

grayfox

Reaction score
I love this thread. Shout outs to everyone whose taken fit pics the last few pages. I super appreciate the 'mod' style and kinda wish my dad kept it up, being from England himself ha

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good @Thin White Duke

Also wearing a navy blazer and pale grey trousers but in warmer fabrics for a rather cool June day in SE England:

View attachment 1187629

View attachment 1187631

View attachment 1187630

Bespoke woollen blazer with MOP buttons // M&S Autograph wool-mix trou // Harvie & Hudson herringbone twill shirt and Ozwald Boateng tie // Bass in Horween leather with cotton OTC socks
Very smooth outfit Mr. K and I do one similar myself. My navy blazer is a hopsack wool Suitsupply with patch pockets.
I often disparage Weejuns and think a lot of lads continue to patronize them purely for their heritage, not their current offshored plasticky quality, but I really like the version you have here. I wonder if they’re still available in horween or if they’ve gone almost totally with corrected grain these days?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very smooth outfit Mr. K and I do one similar myself. My navy blazer is a hopsack wool Suitsupply with patch pockets.
I often disparage Weejuns and think a lot of lads continue to patronize them purely for their heritage, not their current offshored plasticky quality, but I really like the version you have here. I wonder if they’re still available in horween or if they’ve gone almost totally with corrected grain these days?
I agree with you about the current quality of Weejuns. The last time I visited the Carnaby Street branch of GH Bass they did have some nice pebble grain leathers, but most were plasticky-looking. I was wearing the Horween ones at the time (which I had just got from Mr Porter) and the guy in the shop did not feel these would be widely available. Mr P claimed they were made specially for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads