• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7316.jpg
Here's the pic I mentioned.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also still have the shoes which are in really good nick, had a pair in black which were lace up.
Wish that I hadn't spent so much money and bought a house when I was 16 like my dad told me to do. But then again I wouldn't have had as much fun!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that pic. The fit of the lad on the left’s jacket is awful - how long are the sleeves? - and it always baffles me that it buttons the girls’ way.
Mortgage at 16? Don’t be daft man - I got my first mortgage at 40!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that pic. The fit of the lad on the left’s jacket is awful - how long are the sleeves? - and it always baffles me that it buttons the girls’ way.
Mortgage at 16? Don’t be daft man - I got my first mortgage at 40!
The fit is terrible I must admit, I've got a feeling that the photo is staged for a shoot, and the clothes aren't the models. Wierd how it buttons the wrong way. I've a few jackets that zip the opposite way, but they are American.

andyf

Reaction score
Photo may have been staged but there’s a subsequent pic of the same lad(s) inside the club slow dancing with a bewer which looks a bit more spontaneous.
Yeah I’ve seen that one too. That jacket on the left definately not a good fit.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree beige does need, strong colours to offset the beigeness. But I have worn an alternative to beige today, in some cream cotton trousers and a John Simons madras popover. I went to meet an old school friend in Leeds today, who I haven't seen in nearly 30 years and now lives in Canada. We went to secondary school together and were both into the same thing, after a few hugs and handshakes one of the first things that he said was, "where did you get your shirt from ?", as if it was only yesterday when we last saw each other. He still had a good look, albeit minus his hair.

IMG_7319.JPG

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light colours work OK with strides, especially in decent weather. I wear beige chinos, sta pressts and white Levi’s all year round in Florida. They help ‘tame’ a bold shirt too - that’s a good look but the belt sticks out as incongruous with the other colours.

Not easy finding a belt close to sand coloured dessies!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Light colours work OK with strides, especially in decent weather. I wear beige chinos, sta pressts and white Levi’s all year round in Florida. They help ‘tame’ a bold shirt too - that’s a good look but the belt sticks out as incongruous with the other colours.

I have to say that i noticed too that Yorky has a rather strange taste in belts. Now each to his own anall that, but sometimes simple is best. Especially if you already wear a checked shirt.
À la suedehead i tend to match the color of belt and shoes. Only plain leather belts, in an array of colors to match (black, brown, burgundy). I've got lighter woven belts for summer, in plain colors too.
You can't always match (i.e. sand DB), but you can find a color that doesn't clash or stand out.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got a belt that matches the Dessies, I just fancied a bit of colour to give a contrast and minimise the "beigeness"

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that i noticed too that Yorky has a rather strange taste in belts. Now each to his own anall that, but sometimes simple is best. Especially if you already wear a checked shirt.
À la suedehead i tend to match the color of belt and shoes. Only plain leather belts, in an array of colors to match (black, brown, burgundy). I've got lighter woven belts for summer, in plain colors too.
You can't always match (i.e. sand DB), but you can find a color that doesn't clash or stand out.

Fair do's.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I try to match belt and shoes a lot. Also got a load of coloured canvas D ring belts to match various colours in outfits, which I wear with linen strides in the summer, but as I don’t tuck polo shirts I find that attention to detail sometimes a bit misplaced as they’re rarely visible.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yeah I try to match belt and shoes a lot. Also got a load of coloured canvas D ring belts to match various colours in outfits, which I wear with linen strides in the summer, but as I don’t tuck polo shirts I find that attention to detail sometimes a bit misplaced as they’re rarely visible.

The devil is in the details mate ! :)

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two belts so don't really bother - it's more of a winter or summer, formal or casual decision grid for me

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads