• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just got my Florsheim long wings back from the repair shop and I am very happy with the results.

They have at the same time made the shoes look less ‘chunky’ and improved the wearability - I hope!

Edit - Pictures:

View attachment 1135654

View attachment 1135655

I went today to the Paris Florsheim flagship store (i never went before, it opened two years ago) to discover that their recent offerings are mainly Made in Italy shoes with Vibram soles! (I suppose that they now have their shoes made in Italy as Vibram is an Italian company). Anyway, they had some very light longwings with vibram soles that looked quite good, at a very reasonable promotional price (€129).

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check my blog if anyone’s interested, the challenge inspired me to do a post about polo shirts.
Interesting read and one I can certainly relate to.

I too remember the Lacoste that behaved perfectly and, like you, am saddened at the decline in quality.

My current polo wardrobe is split almost equally between PoloRL and Fred Perry these days. My long sleeve ones tend to be more in the John Smedley style rather than the more casual pique type.

I would say some of the 'polos' on display in the recent Challenge pushed the boundary of what constitutes a polo to the limit...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
TBH i thought that, even if there were smart dressers, the challenge lacked in originality. Most of the posters did copy and paste the inspiration pics : a polo under sports coat and tailored trousers. Boring. I chose to contest the way i usually wear a polo : with nothing else above as i keep them for warm weather. I usually never wear a polo (apart very rare occasions) under a sports jacket. I do wear a polo sometime under a harrington, a bomber jacket, rainwear, or a Trucker.
Why ? just because a shirt looks much better under a sports jacket/Blazer.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My current polo wardrobe is split almost equally between PoloRL and Fred Perry these days. My long sleeve ones tend to be more in the John Smedley style rather than the more casual pique type.

My polo wardrobe is 90% Fred Perry. The 10% left are split between PRL - nice colors but i hate the logo, they were presents -, John Smedley, and Uniqlo Button Down polos that could have been interesting for the challenge if i had worn a jacket; i think a BD polo under a jacket is a bit more 'dressed' than a classic one. I am not totally convinced by the BD collar on a polo though, that's why i only bought cheap Uniqlo ones.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My polo wardrobe is 90% Fred Perry. The 10% left are split between PRL - nice colors but i hate the logo, they were presents -, John Smedley, and Uniqlo Button Down polos that could have been interesting for the challenge if i had worn a jacket; i think a BD polo under a jacket is a bit more 'dressed' than a classic one. I am not totally convinced by the BD collar on a polo though, that's why i only bought cheap Uniqlo ones.
Probably , the majority of my polos are ltalian but like you l do have the FP's and the Smedleys and also a couple of the BD collar ones that you mention but mine are actually Baracuta ones that l got quite cheap in TKMAXX because like you l'm also unconvinced by a BD collar on a polo shirt . .

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two Sunspel - one light, one dark. Heading towards one FP, has to be dark.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Nice weather here. First outing of the year for a ss Madras shirt.

Madras G_opt copie.jpg

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Florsheim long wings back from the repair shop and I am very happy with the results.

They have at the same time made the shoes look less ‘chunky’ and improved the wearability - I hope!

Edit - Pictures:

View attachment 1135654

View attachment 1135655
I like the look of those MrK.
I don't have a pair of brown or burgundy brogues in smooth leather and I was considering buying the AS Shoreditch in a sale,however after thinking about it I have realised that although brogues are my favourite type of shoe I now wear boots (brogue or chukka type) more often in the winter and loafers more often in the summer.
I am now thinking about clothes that I like and buy and clothes that I buy and actually wear.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have bought a couple of MiE FPs in the last few weeks,a plain navy one from Ebay at a good price and a light blue with navy and white piping,unless I see any MiE,MiJ FPs or possibly RLs at bargain prices in colours that I like my polo buying is done for 2019.
I do like the LS Lands End polos under a crew neck jumper in cooler weather.
I was surprised by how good the BD collar on my RL BD polo is,it was stupidly expensive though thankfully I have never seen them in any other colours that I liked so I haven't been tempted to buy more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads