• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There comes a point at which a polo/tennis shirt begins to look like a rugby shirt (long sleeves, thick collar, flyfronted)

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I always wear my polo shirts (be it a 2b or a 3b) with the first button undone to make a V-shape so the collar sits slightly open.
Always did, always will !

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear my polo shirts (be it a 2b or a 3b) with the first button undone to make a V-shape so the collar sits slightly open.
Always did, always will !
Interesting question Mr. K.
There are some skin / suede / Mod purists who think the only way to wear a polo (FP of course!) is buttoned all the way up.

When I first started accumulating Lacoste polos I loved the way you could avoid that whole debate, as you could leave the top button undone and the placket would still sit perfectly in place one side over the other. Try that with a FP and the collar will splay out like a camp collared shirt. This is no longer the case as Lacoste quality is not like it was when they were all made in France. I’ve given up worrying about it now and just button up or not purely on what mood I’m in that day. I’ve got almost as many FPs as I do Lacostes now with a few RLs and a few off brands too so if I live another 30 years I probably don’t need any more. (Probably won’t stop me from getting some though but!)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Always found the all button done look an old man look not very flattering TBH. Plus the fact that indeed mod did it that way and here 'we' sure wanted to difference ourselves from 'them' :-D

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1131972

Of course we are not on MtS, but this is a reminder of the old 'regional differences', and this picture was taken in London in 1970.
I think like you that the MiE Fred Perrys are still the best, followed imho by the MiPortugal ones. I've got several FP shirts MiP, including the Nigel Cabourn collab one, and TBH i don't see much differences with the MiE ones

aaaaaaah one of 'those' pictures again ! I must admit that they are showing some humour with the location in this one.
Yes,regional variation is a possibility but here (wild West of England) I associate that period with BDs of various colours and patterns, the SS BD would have been the summer shirt of choice here.

I haven't seen a MiP FP 'in the flesh' but some of them look good in the pictures as do some of the Italian ones,there is a very nice MiI LS polo on Ebay but as I don't know the fit of them and it means ordering from Italy I am resisting buying it.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes guys, the FP was worn in the late 60s but it was less popular by then compared to a button down collar.

We knew about Lacoste but I cannot remember anyone owning one - too expensive and hard to find here.

Today, I probably buy one new polo shirt each spring and sometimes in the autumn too in darker colours to wear under a v-neck. My latest FPs are a black Italian-made. bought in Sicily and FP x N Cabourn Mi Portugal.

Given @cerneabbas ' ticking off perhaps I should add to my collection soon!

I have noticed that most of the FC entries feature one of the Eidos style high and rather curly collar jobs, which seem to me almost another animal - trying to look too dressy. I guess it goes with the 70s aesthetic we were discussing recently?

MrK the thing that I find interesting is how Polo shirts became so mainstream in a relatively short space of time ! not only that but they are even worn with Blazers or Suits on occasion !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
aaaaaaah one of 'those' pictures again ! I must admit that they are showing some humour with the location in this one.
Yes,regional variation is a possibility but here (wild West of England) I associate that period with BDs of various colours and patterns, the SS BD would have been the summer shirt of choice here.

I haven't seen a MiP FP 'in the flesh' but some of them look good in the pictures as do some of the Italian ones,there is a very nice MiI LS polo on Ebay but as I don't know the fit of them and it means ordering from Italy I am resisting buying it.

God save the Queens ? :-D

Yes the MiItaly ones look good and they are quite 'different' (cut, material, etc). Last time i was in Roma they had quite a lot in a shop, and i was very tempted. I resisted because , like TWD, i don't need new polos for about 30 years…
The MiPortugal ones prove to be very resistant. it's a long time since they have some made there, i remember that in the mid 90s it was very difficult to find FP polos (at least here - it was before the brand was bought and 'revived' by the Japanese), and that the only one i found were the Portugal ones.
I had a Made in Japan one, great quality and nice cut but i agree with you the collar is on the smaller side.
MiE ones still the best.

On the subject of the guys on the pictures, i remember i had an interesting discussion with buttons - as you know he knows a lot on the subject, original stuff, etc - he told me that it was not because they were gay that they were not - and that they didn't dress as - 'proper original skinheads'.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With better quality shoes I don’t bother with Topy.

The sole leather on C & J hangrades is outstanding. Really hard wearing oak bark tanned leather. They are channeled soles and even the channels have not been worn down or exposed after several years. When the soles do need replacing I will send them back to the factory. No half soles. They ruin shoes. I used to go for half soles in my youth. You get away with it a few times but I would have a proper job done now.

I agree with that, on Loafers the thinnest rubber sole is the best imo,on more expensive shoes the best repair (usually the most expensive)is worthwhile.

I was wearing my Sebago loafers yesterday in the bright and warm sun,I went into 2 Aldi stores and instantly thought of this thread,Aldi have shiny 'marble' type tiled floors and the leather soles of my Loafers felt quite slippery on that surface,another reason for me to get a thin rubber sole on them.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Always with English shoes it is back to the factory for a full refurbishment, but, as you say, with better quality soles and a good few pairs in rotation, that doesn't need to be a frequent outlay by any means.

My Church's Diplomats date from 2006 (themselves effectively a 'gift' from Church's as they damaged my previous pair while working on them!) and are still almost as good as new, never having been near a repairer:) But then again they probably only get worn 6 -10 times a year.

A lot of shoes and strict rotation is the answer,its just good sense not rampant consumerism or any type of OCD.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear most of my Polos buttoned up,the LS ones as its usually colder when I wear them, the SS ones I usually button up unless it gets very warm.
There is such a huge choice in Polos now, Pique or Jersey, knitted or shirt type collars,plain or piping,LS or SS, I think that theres a Polo to suit virtually every occasion or weather condition except very hot and humid.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I usually wear most of my Polos buttoned up,the LS ones as its usually colder when I wear them, the SS ones I usually button up unless it gets very warm.
There is such a huge choice in Polos now, Pique or Jersey, knitted or shirt type collars,plain or piping,LS or SS, I think that theres a Polo to suit virtually every occasion or weather condition except very hot and humid.
The only time i button up my polos is when i wear them under a V-neck and that it is very cold outside. Otherwise it's the 'one button undone' rule !

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll wear s/s polos buttoned to the top under a harrington or other jacket, but 99% of the time with the top button undone when without a jacket.
Longsleeve polos I tend to wear buttoned to the top.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another 'how do you do it?' question.

Back in the day we supported our trousers with narrow braces when in casual mode and our more formal, bespoke trou were 'self-supporting' using side adjusters in different designs.

Today I wear belts with more casual trousers and with the odd suit, but increasingly it is braces / suspenders with suits and more formal trousers. Mrs K just bought me these red jobs for Valentine's.

TM Lewin braces 02 2019.jpg

Which method(s) do you favour?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads