• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1105464 View attachment 1105465 I wanted to share these Loake 771 shoes that I had for Christmas. Not yet worn - what should I pair them with?
The Inspectors Blazer and some Navy wool flat front trousers ?

btw I saw some Tattersall check shirts in a brochure recently,some of them had BD collars which I thought quite an unusual combination,I couldn't make my mind up wheter I liked them or not.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1105464 View attachment 1105465 I wanted to share these Loake 771 shoes that I had for Christmas. Not yet worn - what should I pair them with?

Very nice. I find suede shoes very versatile, can be dressed-up or down.
I think your suede plains would look perfect in a casual but chic Look, for example smart dark raw jeans, OCBD, a Blazer, Baracuta, or a Mac. (To stay within 'our' style)...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales purchase…
Just made the acquisition of this 'Brown Shetland Tweed Blazer' from Cordings. 3b, single vent.

View attachment 1105457
View attachment 1105458
View attachment 1105459

It is really a superb, versatile, and stylish jacket (IMO) : cut, material, length (a 44 long - a perfect fit for me), detailing (numerous pockets, working cuff buttons, etc).
I only bought it two days ago and wore it with a BD shirt and jeans since, and it looks good (i know that a Tweed jacket and jeans is a nice look that some of you like @Botolph pull up with style - it was his entry in the Jim Ferguson Challenge).
But i also want to wear it in a more dress-up way. So i was thinking of pairing it with smart chinos, or wool flat front trousers, flannels maybe ?
What do you think guys ?

I think forget about any of that online nonsense that a shirt or tie or trousers or shoes might be 'too city' for it. Citified country is a great and authentic look so why not a navy tie, white shirt, grey trousers or black shoes.

I like the Cordings lining colour, reminds me of @Bela Kun's recent post elsewhere where he talks about a navy suit and maroon hankie, the same colour lining is in their covert coat and is a nice step-down from crombie red.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think forget about any of that online nonsense that a shirt or tie or trousers or shoes might be 'too city' for it. Citified country is a great and authentic look so why not a navy tie, white shirt, grey trousers or black shoes.

I like the Cordings lining colour, reminds me of @Bela Kun's recent post elsewhere where he talks about a navy suit and maroon hankie, the same colour lining is in their covert coat and is a nice step-down from crombie red.

Of course i will wear it with a tie. As i said, a very versatile jacket that can be dressed up or down. And i mainly own white shirts (BD mostly but not only), a classic, a favorite, and it goes well with my complexion.
I really like the lining color and all the details. The devil is in the detail they say, and it is a truly devilish jacket.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with the Tweed Covert coat also they had a Moleskin Covert coat but I wasn't to sure about that.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For one moment I thought I'd wandered onto the 'Classic Menswear' thread! ;):colgate::stirpot:

Ha ha! Has there not always been a degree of 'cross-over'?

@cerneabbas PoloRL do a range of brushed cotton check (some small checks, some larger) in a BD most autumn / winter seasons and, although it's not an obvious combination to us Brits, they do look great. Having said that, I haven't bought one...yet!

Thanks for the ideas about pairing up the Loakes. BTW, on the Loake appreciation thread someone said Loake are no longer going to be selling through other online retailers like Pediwear...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That look is a very old school English one and hard to pull-off. It seems to demand the most exquisite quality and cut - unless you want to look like the good ole Geography teacher:smile:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales purchase…
Just made the acquisition of this 'Brown Shetland Tweed Blazer' from Cordings. 3b, single vent.

View attachment 1105457
View attachment 1105458
View attachment 1105459

It is really a superb, versatile, and stylish jacket (IMO) : cut, material, length (a 44 long - a perfect fit for me), detailing (numerous pockets, working cuff buttons, etc).
I only bought it two days ago and wore it with a BD shirt and jeans since, and it looks good (i know that a Tweed jacket and jeans is a nice look that some of you like @Botolph pull up with style - it was his entry in the Jim Ferguson Challenge).
But i also want to wear it in a more dress-up way. So i was thinking of pairing it with smart chinos, or wool flat front trousers, flannels maybe ?
What do you think guys ?
Just looking back at pics of my lighter brown tweed jacket and the trou I have paired it with and IMO the grey flannel and cords seem to play the best supporting roles:

Mulb JS Sitting.JPG

Mulb woods braces (2).JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes it works well, even if your jacket is of a much lighter color.
i am sure my new Shetland Blazer will work well with my Navy LVC Cords though...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it works well, even if your jacket is of a much lighter color.
i am sure my new Shetland Blazer will work well with my Navy LVC Cords though...
I am sure it will, Monsieur. Of course, no navy odd trousers (as cov hints) are welcome around here! But 'we' know better:-D

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Mr K, if i had to follow SF rules you would see me with a Barbour over a checked suit with very wide lapels (where i could land a plane) and some horrid oxfords with a mirror polish. Of course in a myriad of terrible colors.
It will never happen.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Belated Happy New Year folks....
Nice jacket inspector.I would pr it with some nicely worn in,good quality jeans or for a bolder look ,orange moleskins would be my choice !

Gsvs5

Reaction score
D0AB636D-35D4-4D51-9841-A20442726648.jpeg
4127EF11-1EF6-4498-BB09-CCE99ACD6CD5.jpeg

Picking up on recent activity over the road on m2s.....
I just used an Xmas gift card at Hamilton Shirts for a Customised Lyle Lovett collection piece.
I’ve collected quite a few Western shirts over the years and this will be the first with a spread collar,merging a touch of the City with heafty dose of Texas.
I’ve mention my penchant for Western shirts before and the association with m2s is documented.Coincidentally ,I was pondering this morning over how some Styles can worn successfully throuout adult life without ridicule or embarrassment,when appropriate.
Western wear ticks the box imo.Hells Angel is the other tha sprung to mind.
Straight outta Texas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads