• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, my return to oxford cotton - an old colour but none of the tired old details

IMG_20210227_141121.jpg

Sunspel

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A different voting arrangement this time with your vote publicly visible and I think, although I have not tried to vote yet, only one vote per person.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been entirely happy with the roped shoulders on my covert coat, my shoulders don't need that emphasis

IMG_20210228_182804.jpg

So a steam iron, a pressing cloth, the base of a food blender as a form and the shoulders are now less emphasised

IMG_20210228_191938.jpg

The reshaping has created a slight ripple at the top of the sleeve but I'm happy with the result.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Mr Knightley , I was lucky enough to grab my Grensons from their sale a month ago for a mere £ 180 - though they became about euro 250 once I paid all the fees that Brexit brought to international commerce. Still a great deal anyway as they are The Brogue in my book (rounded toe, double sole, sturdy welt etc.)

@Kingstonian , of course you are right about some dressier shoe looking better, but, as I wore a British Warm, I wanted to avoid the 'retired Officer look' (which I'm not) that comes with black Oxfords.
I've always been tempted by a plain two eyelets black Derby but until today I haven't found one that I like enough and is cheap enough. Connery's Bond wore them a lot in the first movies of the saga.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the rest of it.

You could say I have an antipathy to 'Ivy'
Well, understandable of course. Even in 1969 when we had discovered J Simons, Ivy could not be taken neat. There always had to be room for elements of the English gent and European influences too. I have never been a fan of BDs with a tie nor of the shapeless Ivy jacket.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are a real pair of shitkickers. Brogues were always more 'effective' than dm boots.

Quite possibly. I only ever had one pair of DM shoes which were great for knocking about in but no good at all on wet grass.

My point is that such a lovely suit needs the best shoes to go with it. Black is the sensible colour. I don’t see black Oxfords as necessarily retired army officer - City worker maybe.
The best photo is the middle one. A dark overcoat goes better with a city suit.

British warm is more casual, almost country attire. Cap should definitely go. A Harris tweed bucket hat in a light colour might work better with a British Warm and it is a hat that does not scream ‘hat’ so it is easier to wear.

I would add that a bucket hat is more effective in rain at preventing spectacles from getting wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads