• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
1. A three piece definitely needs a tie!
2. A jumper UNDER a waistcoat! WTF?
3. For christ sake get a decent pair of shoes man. A decent looking suit is ruined with them pit byeuts.

Going for a 30's inspired look mate, and i just prefer boots, there in my blood now. I wouldn't usually wear a jumper underneath a waistcoat but it was cold and couldn't be arsed to wear a overcoat. I wear whatever makes me happy at the end of the day. I like to wear a scarf or a neckerchief more than a tie most times, don't find ties that comfortable.

Re 3. The boots are well polished and there was a time when boots were worn with suits.

They are a bit battered but i'm not going for the country gent look, from the pictures i have seen boots wore almost worn universally with suits among ordinary people, and quite big hobnailed ones at that.

A work suit ages better than a disco suit.

I'm still trying to place @donkeyjacket2 suit into a particular decade, narrow lapels and waistcoat looks paradoxical for 70s and 80s

says 5.4.72 on the tailoring ticket inside the suit jacket.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going for a 30's inspired look mate, and i just prefer boots, there in my blood now. I wouldn't usually wear a jumper underneath a waistcoat but it was cold and couldn't be arsed to wear a overcoat.
Jumper OVER a waistcoat might be a more obvious choice.

Your look is bit like Old Town clothing from Holt. Yours will be more substantial-not cotton; and no strange patch pockets or button stance. Not as expensive either.

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
I'm still trying to place @donkeyjacket2 suit into a particular decade, narrow lapels and waistcoat looks paradoxical for 70s and 80s

I think it always came down to personal preference with some people, i think i can remember my granddad saying he never had pockets on his suit jackets when he had suits tailored in the 60s.

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
Jumper OVER a waistcoat might be a more obvious choice.

Your look is bit like Old Town clothing from Holt. Yours will be more substantial-not cotton; and no strange patch pockets or button stance. Not as expensive either.

I have seen old timey pictures of people wearing jumpers under waistcoats before, sometimes with a turtle neck, i think i will wear an overcoat in the future.

I just consider my style traditional now, you get a lot comments like peaky blinders but you are obviously going to, never actually watched it.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it always came down to personal preference with some people, i think i can remember my granddad saying he never had pockets on his suit jackets when he had suits tailored in the 60s.
Burton were quite accommodating, I recall, when it came to MTM suits. They would 'advise' you on what they believed was correct, but let you have your own way up to a point!

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
Burton were quite accommodating, I recall, when it came to MTM suits. They would 'advise' you on what they believed was correct, but let you have your own way up to a point!
I think it might of been burton where my granddad had his suits done, i'll have to ask him, or it might of been one of the more local ones. He usually had them tailored cos he was a bodybuilder at the time and it wasn't as common then, made decent enough money in the tractor factory too.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is dead. Long live the suit!
D5D4F101-D7DF-4033-9834-A96093CEB78D.jpeg

Full details on the blog

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say I don't think that's working, it looks too long (camera angle maybe?) and the creases mean it's not fitting your shape.

If anything I thought double breasted should be a little shorter than single breasted, but I may be remembering wrongly

Just realised you look just like a younger version of someone I'd fall in drinking with in Wetherpoons

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say I don't think that's working, it looks too long (camera angle maybe?) and the creases mean it's not fitting your shape.

If anything I thought double breasted should be a little shorter than single breasted, but I may be remembering wrongly

Just realised you look just like a younger version of someone I'd fall in drinking with in Wetherpoons
Not many suits in most Wetherspoons these days.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice there was a few days gap between posts after the drive-by trolling from another thread.

Is this going to be a regular occurrence?

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score

Perhaps, i do prefer single breasted and a bit shorter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads