• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good - great condition and fit. Lapels look narrow for 1972 (in a good way).
Agree that lapels seem narrow for 1972. In 1973 it was definitely the Rodney Bewes ‘Likely Lads’ style. I am not even sure if those singled breasted jackets were supposed to button up. They always seemed to be worn open, displaying the waistcoat.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. A three piece definitely needs a tie!
2. A jumper UNDER a waistcoat! WTF?
3. For christ sake get a decent pair of shoes man. A decent looking suit is ruined with them pit byeuts.
Re 3. The boots are well polished and there was a time when boots were worn with suits.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re 3. The boots are well polished and there was a time when boots were worn with suits.
Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
And if you go back in time far enough most gents’ footwear would have been boots of some sort but not those clodhoppers. The whole outfit would be elevated exponentially with a tie and a decent pair of more formal shoes.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
And if you go back in time far enough most gents’ footwear would have been boots of some sort but not those clodhoppers. The whole outfit would be elevated exponentially with a tie and a decent pair of more formal shoes.
It all depends on what look you're going for really, it's obvious that Donkey has left his skin days behind and is now developing his own style. It's not one that I would go for, but it works for him without just looking like a costume.
I've seen many "mods" and "skins" over the years that lack any individuality and become identikits of what they think they should look like.
I occasionally check in on some websites where people ask "would an original have worn this" or get slated by others because "we never wore that back in the day".
When I used to attend the national Mod rallies the majority of people had their own styles, but to those on the scene it was obvious that they were Mods.
I stopped attending them eventually for several reasons, I got too old, and people started attending who were obviously just doing it as a weekend hobby (dress up). If you saw them in the street in the week they would probably just look like all of the other numbers.
I know it's a fine line but being sussed springs to mind again.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found this on YouTube, following the new trend of Sea Shanty's.
When I was a teen, Weller/The Jam was my point of entry into mod and I will admit to copying his style, not necessarily the hair as I had, had a crop on and off since being a toddler, as my mum called it a crew cut.
I also had a grown out French crew on and off for years, in the Marriott French line style, and similar to mod bands of the 60's, i.e. The Creation, The Action.
Apart from having the back and kneckline tidied up, I haven't had my hair cut for almost 12 months, my fringe is below my nose, and I could easily style it in the French line, but as I'm 55 next month this is definitely not going to happen, it just gets combed back.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what look you're going for really, it's obvious that Donkey has left his skin days behind and is now developing his own style. It's not one that I would go for, but it works for him without just looking like a costume.
I've seen many "mods" and "skins" over the years that lack any individuality and become identikits of what they think they should look like.
I occasionally check in on some websites where people ask "would an original have worn this" or get slated by others because "we never wore that back in the day".
When I used to attend the national Mod rallies the majority of people had their own styles, but to those on the scene it was obvious that they were Mods.
I stopped attending them eventually for several reasons, I got too old, and people started attending who were obviously just doing it as a weekend hobby (dress up). If you saw them in the street in the week they would probably just look like all of the other numbers.
I know it's a fine line but being sussed springs to mind again.
Yeah as far as the rallies go I’ve mentioned on here before I’d problies be a bit conflicted If I happened to be home and there was one within spitting distance. Having been so far removed from the scene for so long I’d definitely be curious as to what goes on and wouldn’t mind checking out other peoples’ threads and scoots, but as you say I’d definitely suspect a whiff of people doing Mod cosplay which is only one step away from the sad bastards we used to laugh at getting their Ted gear out for rock n roll nights at the working men’s clubs.

As for the Wellend Barnet - I remember in the later days of the Jam period a lot of lads were copying Weller’s exaggerated Marriot look - middle parting, triggers, all built up at the top - and they were out in force at Newcastle City Hall for the Transunityglobalexpress tour or whatever it was called then the lights go down and out comes PW with a near skinhead!
Same for those who followed him with the laughable wedge he had around the time leading up to ‘Our Favourite Shop’ then he pops out at Live Aid with a return to his one inch spike. It’s safe to say that you’re on a hiding to nothing trying to emulate his dodgy taste in coifs!

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah as far as the rallies go I’ve mentioned on here before I’d problies be a bit conflicted If I happened to be home and there was one within spitting distance. Having been so far removed from the scene for so long I’d definitely be curious as to what goes on and wouldn’t mind checking out other peoples’ threads and scoots, but as you say I’d definitely suspect a whiff of people doing Mod cosplay which is only one step away from the sad bastards we used to laugh at getting their Ted gear out for rock n roll nights at the working men’s clubs.

As for the Wellend Barnet - I remember in the later days of the Jam period a lot of lads were copying Weller’s exaggerated Marriot look - middle parting, triggers, all built up at the top - and they were out in force at Newcastle City Hall for the Transunityglobalexpress tour or whatever it was called then the lights go down and out comes PW with a near skinhead!
Same for those who followed him with the laughable wedge he had around the time leading up to ‘Our Favourite Shop’ then he pops out at Live Aid with a return to his one inch spike. It’s safe to say that you’re on a hiding to nothing trying to emulate his dodgy taste in coifs!
Weller has always tried to keep a distance from the mod scene, even though he has quoted on film and print over the years that he is a mod, most famously on the Jonathan Ross show early 90's

I suppose you could say that my hair is now like Weller in The Style Council days, when he had the slicked back look, another look I think to distance himself from the moddy boys.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weller has always tried to keep a distance from the mod scene, even though he has quoted on film and print over the years that he is a mod, most famously on the Jonathan Ross show early 90's

I suppose you could say that my hair is now like Weller in The Style Council days, when he had the slicked back look, another look I think to distance himself from the moddy boys.

There’s a good pic of him you’ll have seen around the time of Band Aid where he’s surrounded by lads in parkas, all hands in pockets, and he’s in a herringbone overcoat. Didn’t think much of his half mast strides but it’s a class illustration of the difference between following your own path and jumping on the “we are the Mods” bandwagon.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @donkeyjacket2 chose his look carefully - not my look - but the reason why I restricted my own comments to the suit itself.

But subsequent posts do certainly remind me of the importance of accessories. For me, buying accessories is more enjoyable that buying major pieces. Perhaps because for a relatively small outlay you can get some very nice items, perhaps because they usually fit when they arrive (not always) or maybe they are a part of the man's wardrobe where great craftmanship can easily be appreciated. Perhaps we should have a 'show us your favourite accessories' event.

@Yorky when you described your latest hair style, I was thinking more of Walls Come Tumbling Down, where Weller's hair is well below his nose at times in the great video.

Jonathan Ross was still wearing his suits pretty big in the early 90s, wasn't he? We tend to think that tailored clothing can appear more 'classic' and stand the test of time, but this interview shows that the reverse can be true?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He does seem to hold you two in thrall
How d’you make that out?
He’s an interesting character on the scene and a point of reference for style (whether positive or negative) but even when I was a rabid fan of The Jam when they were active I always admired Foxton as being cooler and more stylish.
I don’t own a single Style Council / Weller record, CD, download, book, or any other media.
I can play “You Do Something To Me” on the guitar and could name half a dozen of his solo song titles but couldn’t hum them to you.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Ross was still wearing his suits pretty big in the early 90s, wasn't he? We tend to think that tailored clothing can appear more 'classic' and stand the test of time, but this interview shows that the reverse can be true?

A work suit ages better than a disco suit.

I'm still trying to place @donkeyjacket2 suit into a particular decade, narrow lapels and waistcoat looks paradoxical for 70s and 80s

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A work suit ages better than a disco suit.

I'm still trying to place @donkeyjacket2 suit into a particular decade, narrow lapels and waistcoat looks paradoxical for 70s and 80s

Maybe it was a 3-button hand-me-down that was given to a charity shop in the ‘80s?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads