• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you dunk your hob nobs?, I'm a pro dunker but only in tea,
McVities chocolate digestives or Rich Tea fingers stacked 10 at a time.

Naturally!!!! McVities Chocolate digestives are my scientific speciality.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A diversion from our beverage thread, got some Uniqlo regular fit Japanese selvedge denim jeans this week. I've normally got 34" waist in Levis, so went for the same, no choice in the leg, they were way too big on the waist and leg even with my usual 1" double turn ups. So they went in the washer for 2 hours at 60 deg's. They shrank perfectly, waist is spot on and legs also with my 1" turn ups, no fading either.
Also took a punt on a couple of their Uniqlo U range of plain white Tee's, for wearing under BD's. They are great a really thick cotton and brilliant fit with a spot on kneckline.
Fred Perry has a good sale on at the moment, just ordered this jacket £48 from £160, purely because it's got wadding and quilted, it's far too cold here at the moment, went for a walk at our local National Trust place today and it was -3 deg's.
View attachment 1542296

That FP harry is a great value! Haven’t been bitten by the Uniqlo bug as of yet though. Good shrink ratio. I’m also a 34” waist, with a 29” inseam. Usually got for a 35/32 in Levi 501 or the equivalent in Samurai, Warehouse, etc.

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
A proper overcoat in a decent size.

You may need gloves, scarf and headgear soon though.

The coffee thing I don’t understand. I am a tea drinker anyway. I see reports of people queueing outside coffee shops and it amazes me. I also used to be puzzled seeing people in coffee shops after the working day had ended. I thought coffee shops were just for killing time between appointments.
caffeine addiction is a real thing just like alcohol

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the British working and lower middle classes - which admittedly I touched only in contact with professional musicians and on manufacturing projects around the country - are indelibly associated with a specific kind of tea. Twice a day everybody stops what they are doing and congregates around a giant steel vat out of which comes water vesicant on touch. The low grade tea leaves have been ground to a fine powder and accordingly immediately taint the liquid a deep, dark brown, a vicious tannic smell emerges, and slowly everybody watches as their polystyrene cups emits steam and becomes portable with bare hands over several minutes. The milk does not really lighten the colour, merely giving it some depth, a certain chunky quality confirming the noxiousness. The first sip invariably burns the tongue which has been well desiccated by the improperly named "digestives" (unless one's goal is the acceleration thereof). As the combination of caffeine, sugar and a little bit of hydration restores everyone, shoulders visibly relax and real talk can begin.

That and every time a builder or plumber was over, first thing we did was put the kettle on.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the British working and lower middle classes - which admittedly I touched only in contact with professional musicians and on manufacturing projects around the country - are indelibly associated with a specific kind of tea. Twice a day everybody stops what they are doing and congregates around a giant steel vat out of which comes water vesicant on touch. The low grade tea leaves have been ground to a fine powder and accordingly immediately taint the liquid a deep, dark brown, a vicious tannic smell emerges, and slowly everybody watches as their polystyrene cups emits steam and becomes portable with bare hands over several minutes. The milk does not really lighten the colour, merely giving it some depth, a certain chunky quality confirming the noxiousness. The first sip invariably burns the tongue which has been well desiccated by the improperly named "digestives" (unless one's goal is the acceleration thereof). As the combination of caffeine, sugar and a little bit of hydration restores everyone, shoulders visibly relax and real talk can begin.

That and every time a builder or plumber was over, first thing we did was put the kettle on.
Have you considered employing a general factotum to deal with the lower orders on your behalf?

Putting on the kettle for builders and plumbers?

Definitely infra dig.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southampton Row ?

That is mostly notable for the menswear shop on the corner with Bloomsbury way. For decades it has had a sign in the window ‘Everything must go’. They are not actually closing down though!

It stocks traditional stuff - tweed, Masonic suits etc. Not high end. I went in once looking for a Harris tweed jacket they had in the window and the lady behind the counter said they did not have it in my size but they had some nice linen jackets! Old school Jewish salesmanship.

I don’t really think about tea in terms of the Look. I suppose coffee may have more poseur appeal. I used to like old school Formica caffs before they disappeared, but I drank tea in them. New Piccadilly was a great one.
We have probably said enough about beverages, but I did just want to mention that menswear emporium.

I remember when I first used to frequent London in the late 60s, shops like that were commonplace. Not so many around now, but there is another similar one just around the corner in the splendid Sicilian Avenue. I have to admit that, while I always look in the windows, I have not actually been tempted into either one. I wonder if they will survive the pandemic...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered employing a general factotum to deal with the lower orders on your behalf?
Can't afford British prices at the moment, but post the events of this month prices for local labour should converge to those in other "free cities" like Dubai or Hong Kong and it'll be worth considering.

Swampster

Reaction score
We have probably said enough about beverages, but I did just want to mention that menswear emporium.

I remember when I first used to frequent London in the late 60s, shops like that were commonplace. Not so many around now, but there is another similar one just around the corner in the splendid Sicilian Avenue. I have to admit that, while I always look in the windows, I have not actually been tempted into either one. I wonder if they will survive the pandemic...
I noticed a very traditional clothes shop in Malvern which I had been to a couple of times had closed down when I went just before Christmas.
Without wishing to return to the beverages, the ground floor has been replaced by a coffee shop.
The pressure on the high street was bad enough before all this.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Southampton Row shop will definitely survive.

I don’t look at The Sicilian Avenue one so much as it is not so prominently situated.

donkeyjacket2

Reaction score
Dont fit bad this burtons suit from 72 a think. No improving the face though(censored for public health)
20210125_133131.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads