• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they speak any other way, if they grew up in Yorkshire? As many people of Chinese descent do.
I was thinking of someone in China working for a Yorkshire company, it wasn't a dig at anyone just a light hearted comment. I went to school with people of Chinese parentage who spoke perfectly good Yorkshire.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold in Yorkshire then. I believe that the company is in Thirsk North Yorks, not far from where I work actually, my 2 recent fair isle tank tops are from JT and they are very well made, I will have to check the label for where they are manufactured.
I've got a picture in my head of a Chinese person talking in a broad Yorkshire accent. "Na then old cock, can tha gi me that bowl of Bat stew, tha's jus med"
Is there something just a little off about Joseph Turner sizing?

I have had three recent items from them (my first JT stuff).

Tattersall check shirt - cut slightly short compared to many other English (designed) shirts I have.
Corduroy trousers - lovely cloth but odd cut around the waist and front - they were also much too small and too long for the apparent size (34s).
Over the calf socks - Made in Leicestershire and not quite long enough. I have kept the shirt and socks but returned the trou.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
@VinceCompost pretty sure it was a joke.

I don't doubt that it was.

Perhaps there's a parallel Chinese internet forum somewhere, where Brits who have gone to the effort of learning Chinese are the subject of mirth for having successfully emulated the accents of their Shenzhen coworkers?

Stylewords

Reaction score

Perhaps there's a parallel Chinese internet forum somewhere, where Brits who have gone to the effort of learning Chinese are the subject of mirth for having successfully emulated the accents of their Shenzhen coworkers?
If there is, let's hope everyone involved has a sense of humour.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would hope that said Chinese folk have a good sense of humor as well.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something just a little off about Joseph Turner sizing?

I have had three recent items from them (my first JT stuff).

Tattersall check shirt - cut slightly short compared to many other English (designed) shirts I have.
Corduroy trousers - lovely cloth but odd cut around the waist and front - they were also much too small and too long for the apparent size (34s).
Over the calf socks - Made in Leicestershire and not quite long enough. I have kept the shirt and socks but returned the trou.
They are probably cut to fit us odd Yorkshiremen.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trouble is that people choose to be offended over the slightest thing, and should probably take a good look at themselves before making stupid comments.
I wish that I was perfect.
Haha - I don’t claim credit for this quote but it’s spot on:

“Political correctness - the art of being offended on behalf of someone else!”

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that my old friend Anthony Blanche once warned me of the dangers of Charm. At this distance I can’t remember everything that he said, but I do recall his saying that it spots and kills anything that it touches.

If he was around today I am sure that he would say the same about political correctness - it has killed our menswear discussion...

kashmir

Reaction score
a cup of coffee- the only thing to look forward to in these locked-down days!
IMG_20210123_003616.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a cup of coffee- the only thing to look forward to in these locked-down days! View attachment 1541111
A proper overcoat in a decent size.

You may need gloves, scarf and headgear soon though.

The coffee thing I don’t understand. I am a tea drinker anyway. I see reports of people queueing outside coffee shops and it amazes me. I also used to be puzzled seeing people in coffee shops after the working day had ended. I thought coffee shops were just for killing time between appointments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads