• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that many people on SF do not like to buy used or vintage items, but for me it’s one way of obtaining something a little different.

It sounds like that’d be down to snobbishness. iGents who have more money than they know what to do with, and less personal responsibilities than folk with families, who can shell out hundreds if not thousands on the “right” gear, who adhere to the internet “rules” of so-called “style”.
Now, I understand and agree that secondhand shoes can be a little nasty(loafers, as many are worn sockless, for instance), but secondhand clothes can be cleaned.
When I was much younger I found a killer, well-maintained faux sheepskin coat at a Salvation Army, which I wore to death. Picked it up for about $15 in the mid-1990s. I have subsequently given scores of gently-worn items to the local St. Vincent dePaul shop, which any young skinhead or mod with a discerning eye would snatch up in a heartbeat.
Preaching to the choir here, but there are so many excellent, barely-worn items available at charity shops; many deals to be had.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree @Botolph and @Luigi_M

Three of my topcoats were purchased at local charity shops. A £600 Grenfell for under £40, with alterations, a classic Driway beige raincoat and Horne Bros. Cashmere blend crombie-style overcoat.

These two Gurteen jackets were real bargains at under £20. The corduroy obviously unworn with pockets still sewn up and spare buttons inside ?

14DB5103-E302-44B0-B657-C02FD6EC5C43.jpeg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice jackets @Mr Knightley , especially the corduroy one. I too would like to find a brown(ish) large wale, with three buttons. Not lucky until now but I'm an obstinate guy.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a submariners jumper. Nice fit. I sized down.
20% off in sale.

I do have a countryman’s jumper with suede patches. That is very warm and robust.

I am not sure this is part of the look. It’s just stuff I like. I never got on with wool polo necks in the 70s. The necks used to sag after one wear. The submariner seems to be better put together than 70s polos. Cotton polos never sag and are useful at this time of year.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the look of those they call ‘button through’ cardigans or polo cardigans. A bit of the look of Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. They seem to have a sixties look but I don’t know how common they were among Mods. I don’t recall seeing anything like that during the revival but pre internet we were limited to what was available either in high street shops for a short period or else in vintage resale.

I’d been biding my time looking for one I liked at a decent price and just last week ordered one in the FP sale so I’ll post pics when it arrives.
Malay I jinxed myself mentioning it on here before it was delivered but after the shipping status was stuck on “label created” for over a week I emailed them to ask what’s up and was told they would look into it. Then a couple of days later without any explanation PayPal refunded my dough.
Of course when I look on the website it’s now sold out. Useless ****s.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tattersalls, but on a white ground, one grid too large, one grid not multicolour, and no earth tones anywhere? - yes, these will do me just fine thanks

View attachment 1540012
Tattersalls aren’t really my bag but I saw them in the NT catalogue and thought they looked good, especially the red and blue one.
I just posted up my Joseph Turner red and blue working-from-home rugby shirt ...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tattersalls aren’t really my bag but I saw them in the NT catalogue and thought they looked good, especially the red and blue one.
I just posted up my Joseph Turner red and blue working-from-home rugby shirt ...

That rugby shirt is great.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in Yorkshire as well, an added bonus?
It does not actually say that. I would be very surprised. Very few shirts are Made in England these days.

The tattersall question is ‘when is a check shirt a tattersall check?’. I thought it was based on a horse racing check from a couple of centuries ago. Nothing wrong with check shirts if you do not want country associations. I am fine with that. It’s just ties featuring gun dogs and game birds where I draw the line.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not actually say that. I would be very surprised. Very few shirts are Made in England these days.

The tattersall question is ‘when is a check shirt a tattersall check?’. I thought it was based on a horse racing check from a couple of centuries ago. Nothing wrong with check shirts if you do not want country associations. I am fine with that. It’s just ties featuring gun dogs and game birds where I draw the line.
Sold in Yorkshire then. I believe that the company is in Thirsk North Yorks, not far from where I work actually, my 2 recent fair isle tank tops are from JT and they are very well made, I will have to check the label for where they are manufactured.
I've got a picture in my head of a Chinese person talking in a broad Yorkshire accent. "Na then old cock, can tha gi me that bowl of Bat stew, tha's jus med"

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've got a picture in my head of a Chinese person talking in a broad Yorkshire accent. "Na then old cock, can tha gi me that bowl of Bat stew, tha's jus med"
These days there is also a Chinese virus taking an English accent (or variant). :-D

Not the better thing you exported.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Sold in Yorkshire then. I believe that the company is in Thirsk North Yorks, not far from where I work actually, my 2 recent fair isle tank tops are from JT and they are very well made, I will have to check the label for where they are manufactured.

Why would they speak any other way, if they grew up in Yorkshire? As many people of Chinese descent do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads